Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Lag and Rubber Banding.
SAMMY_T-1OOO
South Australia
11 posts
Getting pretty bad rubber banding lately especially tonight. Had to restart the server when it was full.

Wasnt getting this a few weeks, just the server crashes. Has anything changed?
08:33pm 24/11/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:33pm 24/11/13 Permalink
PeteOdeath
Townsville, Queensland
12 posts
Getting crazy amounts of rubber banding and lag tonight on my server too.
203.46.105.23:21250
09:55pm 24/11/13 Permalink
LCARSx64
Sydney, New South Wales
3 posts
There's already a thread about this: http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/gsr/thread.php/3373886
08:53pm 25/11/13 Permalink
MrMickeyG
Melbourne, Victoria
20 posts
i agree, my server on 203.46.105.23:26000 - looks like it is the same box as everyone else in this thread is also rubber banding. maxes out at 100% CPU when 64 players are on.

Can someone please look at increasing the resources on this machine?
09:45pm 25/11/13 Permalink
SAMMY_T-1OOO
South Australia
12 posts
i agree, my server on 203.46.105.23:26000 - looks like it is the same box as everyone else in this thread is also rubber banding. maxes out at 100% CPU when 64 players are on.

Can someone please look at increasing the resources on this machine?

Yeah same here, spiking to 100% at 64 players
10:53pm 25/11/13 Permalink
Malthius
Brisbane, Queensland
1119 posts
Thanks for the reports.

Reviewing the log files over the last few days, yes, it looks like a couple of the servers on that host are performing badly. I'll get some fixes in today and continue to monitor it. Anyone with a server on that host who has had performance issues is more than welcome to log a support request via the contact form and we'll credit them some additional time for the problem.

However, don't stress about 100% CPU on the graphs - that is 100% of one core, and servers can use more than one core. GameCreate's graphing stuff is a bit behind the times. Internally we use much more advanced profiling tools.
01:08pm 26/11/13 Permalink
Malthius
Brisbane, Queensland
1126 posts
Please expect a short downtime tomorrow morning for GA0113, we'll be rebooting it to make some configuration changes that resolved similar issues on GA0114.
07:41pm 26/11/13 Permalink
syk3
66 posts
Thanks for the reports.

Reviewing the log files over the last few days, yes, it looks like a couple of the servers on that host are performing badly. I'll get some fixes in today and continue to monitor it. Anyone with a server on that host who has had performance issues is more than welcome to log a support request via the contact form and we'll credit them some additional time for the problem.

However, don't stress about 100% CPU on the graphs - that is 100% of one core, and servers can use more than one core. GameCreate's graphing stuff is a bit behind the times. Internally we use much more advanced profiling tools.

Ive been complaining about this for weeks and its only getting fixed now or getting config changes.

I know dice has been pretty s*** with their updates but you guys have been saying for the past 2 weeks its all dice who the issues are coming from, are you now back tracking and saying your servers have some configuration issues?
08:27am 27/11/13 Permalink
Malthius
Brisbane, Queensland
1127 posts
Back tracking? No.

Here's how we roll: we admit when we've made a mistake or the problem was caused by us. We hope that means that our customers trust us when we say that something isn't our fault.

In this case: Some of the current performance issues for servers on ga0113 appear to be related to overloading that host. We are taking the steps to fix that, including stopping all new large subscriptions, altering the performance configuration of that host, and moving appropriate servers off that host.

The overloading of ga0113 isn't the only reason for performance issues on servers on that host. Earlier in the month we were watching servers sit at 60% CPU usage and still lag. That isn't our fault - we can't make the damn things use more CPU time. We are still seeing some odd performance with individual servers performing much worse than other servers on the same host, and we are trying to track down the cause so DICE can fix it. We'll get a better picture over the next few days. After we made similar changes on GA0114 we found that some of the servers on that host were performing better, but most did not improve with the extra resources. The ones that improved: that was our fault for not giving them enough resources. The ones that didn't improve: there isn't much we can do if we throw more resources at them and they don't get better.

From what our customers tell us, most RSPs simply refuse to admit to any problem. That does make it easier for them; they never have to explain themselves like this, but we'd prefer to be honest and hope that our honesty is respected.
11:23am 27/11/13 Permalink
MAG
Other International
15 posts

From what our customers tell us, most RSPs simply refuse to admit to any problem. That does make it easier for them; they never have to explain themselves like this, but we'd prefer to be honest and hope that our honesty is respected.

I have to back this statement up. I have been at the sharp end of administrating our Clan's Battlefield servers for a couple of years now dealing with a ridiculous amount of issues and till now hosts have NEVER admitted anything was their fault. It was usually blamed on DOS attacks, telstra network problems etc etc. We've had several issues since moving to Ausgamers at the beginning of this month and to give them their due they have never tried to fob me off. They accepted responsibility when it was their fault and more importantly they worked hard on each issue until it was addressed.

We actually started this month with 4 BF4 servers each at a different host to see which one we are going to stick with. It is because of their honesty we have decided on sticking with AG and are currently moving our TS to them. And will do the same with our procon needs once they have that service running.

And no I don't work for them or know anyone there personally.
12:08pm 27/11/13 Permalink
syk3
67 posts
Back tracking? No.

Here's how we roll: we admit when we've made a mistake or the problem was caused by us. We hope that means that our customers trust us when we say that something isn't our fault.

In this case: Some of the current performance issues for servers on ga0113 appear to be related to overloading that host. We are taking the steps to fix that, including stopping all new large subscriptions, altering the performance configuration of that host, and moving appropriate servers off that host.

The overloading of ga0113 isn't the only reason for performance issues on servers on that host. Earlier in the month we were watching servers sit at 60% CPU usage and still lag. That isn't our fault - we can't make the damn things use more CPU time. We are still seeing some odd performance with individual servers performing much worse than other servers on the same host, and we are trying to track down the cause so DICE can fix it. We'll get a better picture over the next few days. After we made similar changes on GA0114 we found that some of the servers on that host were performing better, but most did not improve with the extra resources. The ones that improved: that was our fault for not giving them enough resources. The ones that didn't improve: there isn't much we can do if we throw more resources at them and they don't get better.

Ok,

Was just wondering cause your post looked like you were saying that the issues were caused by config issues or setup on your end, which if so i had complained about before.

Either way if it gets fixed it gets fixed, biggest problem i have right now is noone wants to play on our BF4 server due to the horrible lag it gets at peak times 5pm - 1am, even my administrators have given up on playing on my server and have reverted to playing on other servers or just not playing at all.

Im glad im not with the two other "read: S***" companies, last time i was with them i had so much lag it wasnt worth the money i was spending, ive been around a while even ran my own hosting company for a few years so i know what you guys are going through, just hopefully you can get ontop of these issues because there is people going around saying some nasty stuff right now, posts like these you just made help show that you infact do care, and hopefully those people making posts and talking s*** will read this and just see what we all do.

Thanks for all your work Mal and keeping us updated.
12:45pm 27/11/13 Permalink
Malthius
Brisbane, Queensland
1128 posts
Was just wondering cause your post looked like you were saying that the issues were caused by config issues or setup on your end, which if so i had complained about before.

Sorry that I wasn't more clear then. I always know what I mean, sometimes I expect everyone else to read my mind. I'll sort of restate it again to make sure we are both on the same page:

Late last week we started having resource issues - we had too many busy 64 player servers on some hosts. Before then we were fine resource wise - the performance issues were clearly (to us at least) problems with certain maps and the BF4 dedicated server software generally. We are working to fix the resource issues as quickly as we can. However, even with perfect resources some servers will still have lag right now. As an example: the BF4 server that is reporting the most lag in the last 48 hours is also reporting using only 20% of the resources allocated to it. It is on GA0114, which we've already done a performance pass on and are totally happy with. We are working with DICE on that one.

Regarding complaints: feel free to direct anyone at all here, and I'll answer every complaint openly and honestly. If you think I've missed one or not been honest, repeat the question until I answer it to your satisfaction. :)

Lastly: thanks to everyone for actually caring how your servers perform for your players, and for the feedback, good or bad. I'd much rather cop criticism than just have customers cancel and not know why, or worse, just put up with something that we might be able to fix.
02:04pm 27/11/13 Permalink
PeteOdeath
Townsville, Queensland
13 posts
Just an update that my server is still rubber banding and jittering a lot. Currently unplayable ATM. It's Paracel Storm 24/7 does this map seem to cause more lag then others in any of your testing Malthius? 203.46.105.23:21250
04:47pm 01/12/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:47pm 01/12/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.