Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
System not booting past bios startup
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8027 posts
Currently got a computer that won't boot past the initial bios "press F2" screen. We've re-seated the GPU, RAM and checked all cables, nothing wrong there. I have a feeling it might be the hard drive, however I'm unsure whether it could also be the motherboard.

No beep sounds are emitting from the computer, so I'm quite unsure. Any help is much appreciated.
09:12pm 16/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:12pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
2977 posts
Boot from windows CD and see if you can see the existing partitions on your HDD. Or shift the suspect HDD to another PC.
09:16pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
304 posts
Does it go through the splashscreen/device detection?

If I have my android plugged into the USB port my computer just sits there after hardware detection with a black screen as it tries to boot from it.
09:16pm 16/11/12 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5649 posts
The reason why you are not hearing the bios beeps is that the machines passes post. So look at your boot devices
09:26pm 16/11/12 Permalink
t
Brisbane, Queensland
204 posts
Definitely check HDD first. Try activating the boot menu and trying a few things e.g. live USB, live CD?

Alternatively, you could be running into troubles with the processor power scheme if the computer's been pin modded in the past. I'm pin-mod undervolting my laptop now, and if it's not preset to Always On power scheme, it'll POST and nothing more due to speedstep dropping the voltage too much. Take out the CPU (ground yourself first) and have a look for little strands of wire.
10:31pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20908 posts
my computer sits there for a while if I have a usb hard drive plugged in, and it sat there forever when the afore mentioned hard drive was broken.

+1 check HDD's.
The reason why you are not hearing the bios beeps is that the machines passes post. So look at your boot devices

or it has no speaker. my pc's haven't had a speaker since 1990
11:53pm 16/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8028 posts
Yeah seems to be HDD, though it freezes after the BIOS "press F2 for setup" and won't even recognise a boot USB.
01:18am 17/11/12 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7345 posts
Disconnect all storage devices (HDD, DVD drive), try to get into BIOS settings and restore from defaults to wipe your settings. Reboot, configure settings and try again?
01:31am 17/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20909 posts
Yeah seems to be HDD, though it freezes after the BIOS "press F2 for setup" and won't even recognise a boot USB.

if the hard drive is toast, it'll sit there for ages on the detecting bit until it either detects the drive, or it times out.
01:46am 17/11/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9766 posts
???

dude you're a new AG staffy now aren't you?

Is Jim dead? Why are you even asking us this question?

...oh

man, I will never figure you blokes out eh
02:32am 17/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8029 posts
???

dude you're a new AG staffy now aren't you?

Is Jim dead? Why are you even asking us this question?

...oh

man, I will never figure you blokes out eh

Easier asking here because I know you just love me koopz. Guess its time he gets a new HDD then, cheers all.
02:43am 17/11/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9768 posts
yeah...

no disrespect intended personally Eorl.

I just wonder how and why you blokes ask Q's like these at times given your resources.

Easier asking here because I know you just love me koopz

we will see

last edited by koopz at 03:03:12 17/Nov/12
02:54am 17/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8030 posts
None taken mate, just needed a quick answer and figured someone on here would be able to help.
02:58am 17/11/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9769 posts
;)
03:03am 17/11/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8036 posts
Did you test the boot order?
Easiest way to determine if it's the machine or a drive.

10:19am 17/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8034 posts
I now have a new problem, this time to do with my girlfriends setup.

Basically it won't boot past bios with just a message saying "begin to update backup bios to latest version..." then loops back by powering off. Sometimes it might get to "loading operating system" but then it gives me a window about wanting to delete last reboot info however the keyboard won't operate to choose.

I've cleared the CMOS, pulled the battery out for a minute, reseated RAM and GPU cards, tried only one stick and one GPU and also tested HDD on my computer. Everything works in that case, except this boot past bios issue. No beeps or other error messages appear, though I can't actually press any keyboard functions either.

Really stumped here.
09:26am 20/11/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13129 posts
Sounds like you just f*** computers Eorl.

What wss the last thing your GF did to the computer?
09:30am 20/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8035 posts
Facebook apparently, no updates or anything occurred. Seems I am the greatest computer destroyer. I can boot into BIOS setup now, so I'm going to try flashing the BIOS.

Also motherboard is a gigabyte ga-890GPA-UD3H
09:44am 20/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3640 posts
Is that an oldish mainboard? I had a problem like that on an old computer because the battery was f***ed.
10:04am 20/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8036 posts
Nearly three year old motherboard. Maybe I should just grab a new CMOS battery?
10:15am 20/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3641 posts
Swap it with your one. Probably not the problem, but will take two seconds to try.
10:38am 20/11/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1313 posts
I had my work PC stump me for a few minutes the other day after I upgraded the hardware it wouldn't detect one of the HDDs properly in bios, switched the config around numerous times and no change. Eventually swapped out the PSU and bingo! Even though it was powering up something not right in the PSU.
10:46am 20/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8039 posts
Hmmm I'll try a different PSU as well, cheers Mass. If everything else fails I'll just go down and grab a new motherboard, luckily the HDD is still working so she hasn't lost all her photography business stuff.
10:54am 20/11/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3642 posts
She doesn't back up business stuff???
11:09am 20/11/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15504 posts
My computer is a c*** and wont' boot with certain USB drives or keyboards attached, totally fine if you disconnect the USB device then turn it on, always manages to stump me until I notice I left the compact flash reader connected.
11:38am 20/11/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8042 posts
She doesn't back up business stuff???

Only just begun her business, so I'm teaching her how to backup to cloud and separate HDD. I might actually invest in a NAS though for both myself and her, but first I need this damn computer working.
11:41am 20/11/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:41am 20/11/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.