Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Microsoft vs Google
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
11149 posts
Yahoo! have this interesting item which seems to indicate Microsoft want to make a move into the Internet searching market:
"We do view Google more and more as a competitor. We believe that we can provide consumers with a better product and a better user experience. That's something that we're actively looking at doing," Bob Visse, director of marketing for Microsoft's MSN Internet services division, said.
I tell you what, it'd take a pretty awesome service before I'd stop use Google. How much better could it get!
10:44am 04/04/03 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:44am 04/04/03 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
231 posts
heh imagine using MS Search engine.

Search: Anti-trust and Microsoft
Result: No result found

Or

Search: Linux ISO
Result: http://www.microsoft.com/windows

=D =D
10:47am 04/04/03 Permalink
imitation
Brisbane, Queensland
951 posts
yep, I can imagine that microsoft thinks that google is too simple, which I think is infact what makes it so appealing you get and see exactly as much as you need.
10:48am 04/04/03 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
232 posts

yep, I can imagine that microsoft thinks that google is too simple, which I think is infact what makes it so appealing you get and see exactly as much as you need.

hhaha :) Yeah they might even have the "Clippy" assistance type pops up to annoy you :)
10:50am 04/04/03 Permalink
Blade Hunter
Sydney, New South Wales
3300 posts
Google is the single most used search engine for myself at both work and ourtside work, it would take a HUGE improvement in an alternative for me to move away from Google.
10:54am 04/04/03 Permalink
Primal
Brisbane, Queensland
1018 posts
yep, google is the best, they will have a hard time beating it.
10:58am 04/04/03 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
701 posts
I can see it now "Microsoft buy out google"

:\

Save us!! *sits in the corner and cries*
11:05am 04/04/03 Permalink
Grosby
Brisbane, Queensland
512 posts
google rocks.
there's no gimmicks, no advertising and now you can seach for just in Australia :D yay!
11:27am 04/04/03 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
2565 posts
Go try and find something on technet or msdn using microsoft's search facility. It is hugely crap. Hugely.

If i've got a microsoft problem I go to google's microsoft site first rather than directly to MS. It's quick, it's simple, it works.
12:10pm 04/04/03 Permalink
teen
Brisbane, Queensland
9961 posts
There would be such a nerd uproar if google was microsoftalised, someone would make a new google type thing. for a site as popular as google it's a surprise that there is no one in direct competition with it.
12:32pm 04/04/03 Permalink
Scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
8103 posts
for a site as popular as google it's a surprise that there is no one in direct competition with it.
can you elaborate here? I am sure all the other search engine's haven't all dried up and been swept under the sofa yet.
12:38pm 04/04/03 Permalink
teen
Brisbane, Queensland
9962 posts
There is something about google that distinctly sets it apart from other www search websites, I don't care to define what it is about google that makes it so intuitively special, but I haven't seen another search engine that has it.
12:42pm 04/04/03 Permalink
Scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
8104 posts
ah ok, all the extra features and tools that they add onto it, not just the raw searching ability.
12:44pm 04/04/03 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
5326 posts
there's no gimmicks, no advertising and now you can seach for just in Australia :D yay!

Actually that statement about advertising is wrong. Google does advertise but they do it in a manor which is far more nice and clean than all the other tools wholl just chuck upa big obtrusive banner.

On the right side of your searches there are usually small boxes under the heading: Sponsored Links. Thats their version of adds. Apparently it costs a S***LOAD to get an add there too. Understandable though I guess.
12:52pm 04/04/03 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
5500 posts
You cant beat google.

The name just owns. MircoGoogle. yerright..
01:31pm 04/04/03 Permalink
Gobo
Sydney, New South Wales
1173 posts
I find the arrogance of MS saying that they can do better than the number one search engine in the world, without having done ANYTHING to back it up pretty breathtaking.

Google has moved beyond search engine, it's now entered contemporary vocab (witness "google" as a verb. I dont know anyone who says "just altavista it, or just yahoo it)

MS hating is old, but it's so typical of their attitude - see somebody else's innovation, bad mouth it, then rip it off.

Just one I'd like to see them shut up and make their better version, and let people judge.
02:14pm 04/04/03 Permalink
Swiss_Cheeseman
Gold Coast, Queensland
1969 posts
05:06pm 04/04/03 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
2134 posts
Microsoft have ben googleplexed!!! lol i like it
01:29am 05/04/03 Permalink
teen
Brisbane, Queensland
9973 posts
Google.NET
02:39am 05/04/03 Permalink
snuff3r
Sydney, New South Wales
541 posts
The day microsoft touched google, is the day i announce jihad!
02:56am 05/04/03 Permalink
power
Brisbane, Queensland
5214 posts
meh it's just a search engine, they come they go
10:53am 05/04/03 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
239 posts

Does google even have stock? Well

Nope they're not. They're still privately held (sort of -- it got venture capital etc). Unlike other .COM they're actually profitable :)
07:42am 06/04/03 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
2569 posts
There's an anti-google site on the web that lists the issues some people have with it. It was mentioned in one of the news papers over the weekend: Google Watch.org.
12:07pm 06/04/03 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
242 posts

There's an anti-google site on the web that lists the issues some people have with it. It was mentioned in one of the news papers over the weekend: Google Watch.org.

Yeah you can't please everyone I suppose. But, somehow I'd imagine there'll be even more of these kind of sites if Microsoft ever took over Google :)
01:26pm 06/04/03 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:26pm 06/04/03 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.