Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Facebook Home
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2872 posts
Well facebook home just got released for Android 4+

If you didn't check the announcement the other week, its basically a launcher and it takes over your phone.

As expected it has been underwhelming since no one likes to lose their custom launcher.

Anyway, you can't seem to search it so here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.home

Thoughts?
03:36pm 13/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:36pm 13/04/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10552 posts
03:43pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Totenkopf
Melbourne, Victoria
598 posts
This app is incompatible with all of your devices. wtf
03:51pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1535 posts
Incompatible for Galaxy S3 ...
03:54pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12409 posts
This item cannot be installed in your device's country.
Hahahahahahahaa what the f***
03:57pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21698 posts
This app is incompatible with all of your devices. wtf
Incompatible for Galaxy S3 ...

are you running android 4+?
just got released for Android 4+

?
04:59pm 13/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2873 posts
I should clarify, it seems to only support a few devices,I don't know why. It should be that If u have the software version it should work but I guess that's facebooks problem. The s3 ahold be supported though
05:32pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21700 posts
It makes me wonder what kind of person's life is so sad that they have to make facebook the center of their world. I mean it's good for keeping in touch with people, "like"ing pages to keep up with current events from businesses and funny people but really, do you need to see it every waking moment of your life?
05:51pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35505 posts
it would help you whoop to stay up todate TO THE MINUTE on whats happening in my world matey, surely thats not a bad thing?
05:58pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35506 posts
WTF IS THAT LINK IN MY POAST? i did not put it there.
05:59pm 13/04/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8570 posts
If I had facebook home, I'd know about spooks new shoes faster :(
06:21pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21701 posts
WTF IS THAT LINK IN MY POAST? i did not put it there.

what link?
06:28pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35507 posts
time for a new facebook home ready phone matey
06:29pm 13/04/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2584 posts
I can see the appeal for some people, and I think Facebook was really smart making this and not a Facebook branded phone or something else, but a custom launcher that doesn't support widgets? You crazy.

Sounds like something fishy is going on with all you S3 people not being able to install it, though.
Don't know which devices it's supposed to be compatible with but all the user reviews are from "Samsung Galaxy S3" and "HTC One X" owners.

Edit: Apparently the list of compatible devices is: Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, HTC One, One X, or One X+. (from here)
06:43pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35508 posts
what link?

there was a link to some survey thing in my poast which i didnt put there!

but now its gone.
06:47pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21702 posts
I can see the appeal for some people, and I think Facebook was really smart making this and not a Facebook branded phone or something else, but a custom launcher that doesn't support widgets? You crazy.Sounds like something fishy is going on with all you S3 people not being able to install it, though.Don't know which devices it's supposed to be compatible with but all the user reviews are from "Samsung Galaxy S3" and "HTC One X" owners.Edit: Apparently the list of compatible devices is: Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, HTC One, One X, or One X+. (from here)

Probably stock S3 users, or users from countries where it works. Some of us have messed with our phones and installed custom things or deleted certain things that app probably requires.
07:10pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
1536 posts
are you running android 4+?

Running 4.1.2 currently.
07:57pm 13/04/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8571 posts
For S3 owners ITT, make sure you grab the latest update from Samsung. Apparently it fixes a known bug where the phone will f*** out and stop working totally - requires a return to Samsung to replace the motherboard.

My poor S3 is in transit getting fixed :(
08:19pm 13/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21703 posts
That's the SDS bug and it's rather old news for the most part. It's been fixed in the latest OTA and Kies update for Aussies for a little while now. Other countries had the fix months ago. This is why I manually update my phone with stuff from another country. F*** waiting for this backwater berg to get anything critical.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2091045
11:36pm 13/04/13 Permalink
wanderer
6 posts
I'm guessing its for US only, or if you have a custom rom on your phone.

"This item cannot be installed in your device's country."
10:28am 14/04/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8572 posts
I bought my S3 through Kogan (Asian model) too so will be interesting to see how Samsung AU handle it. The guy on the phone didn't say anything when taking down the serial & IMEI but who knows what will happen when it gets to the repair place.
10:33am 14/04/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3883 posts
With the Sony phones I've purchased they've included an international warranty card, htc didn't have a problem when I bricked my one, I'm interested how samsung handle it, keep us informed (I have a couple of samsung tabs for the kids).
12:25pm 14/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21705 posts
Go look on the SDS threads on XDA. A few people have sent in phones with custom roms and they've fixed them. I don't see why they wouldn't given it's a known issue with their MMC hardware, it'll happen no matter what kind of software is on the phone.
02:35pm 14/04/13 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21076 posts
I have the google nexus and it was not compatible hahaha
06:29pm 14/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21706 posts
I don't write android apps but how hard can it possibly be to make them compatible with all "android 4+" devices? I mean wouldn't that be like saying you need windows xp, and then it just randomly tells you it won't run because it doesn't feel like it?

There seems to be a lot of bulls*** reasons why stuff is "incompatible" with android devices.
07:17pm 14/04/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8573 posts

A few people have sent in phones with custom roms and they've fixed them

Ace.. because as well as being a grey import it was running a custom ROM :)
09:50pm 14/04/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1339 posts
Oh boy, are you telling me that I can now let facebook know even more about me? WILL I GET BETTER ADVERTISING TOO?
12:39pm 15/04/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13530 posts
I don't write android apps but how hard can it possibly be to make them compatible with all "android 4+" devices?

Not hard at all, there is a 'hacked' version of the Facebook Home app that runs on all android devices.

Why you would want Facebook Home as your launcher is beyond me. My snappy Custom Firmware on my SGS1 has kept my phone up-to-date with the latest in android OS's.

What is more likely the case is that Facebook put the limit on phone compatibility on purpose, to mitigate any issues that arise from their app. After a period of time they will update the app with bug fixes(maybe) and open it to a larger range of phones.
12:46pm 15/04/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2878 posts
Slightly off topic but having updated facebook to the latest version, I now have that stupid "pop out" feature that you see in the Home videos. It's actualyl quite snappy, so when I unlock my phone, if someone has messaged me, their fb profile is on the side of the screen in a circle and typing just overlays the keyboard on top of my front window.

Rad
06:28pm 15/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:28pm 15/04/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.