Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
New Wii - What _one_ game would you purchase?
gamer
553 posts
I just got my new (second hand) wii!

I'm thinking about picking up a game tonight on the way home. Budget for this month only allows for one game. What do you guys reconmend?

Wii came with

2 - remote control type controllers (one is missing the back that holds in the AA batteries - i heard somewhere that you can get a recharge pack for these controllers - is this true?)
2 - num - chuck controllers
2 - weird D shamed hand grip things im still not sure about
2 - high quality DE type guns that the controllers go into
1 - low quality glock type gun that the controller go into
1 - Wii console + Power adapters + infrared bar thing
1 - Extra larger infra red bar thing? (what does this second one do?)
2 - Extra thing that plugs in to the remote control shaped controller for 'higher precision' or somes*** (what does this do)?

Games
- house of the dead overkill (looks like a 'on rails shooter'?)
- wiisports resort
- mario power tennis
- ea grand slam tennis
- ea tiger woords pga tour 10
- wii fit
- wii soprts
- wii play (what is this?)
- mad world (this looks like a fps?)

WOOHOO IM SO EXCITED!

Also a co-op game that the missus could join in and play occasionally would be awsome. We both play settlers, heroes of might and magic, wow (rpg), sim city etc together on PC if that helps?
01:17pm 07/04/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:17pm 07/04/10 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5580 posts
Super Mario Bros
01:18pm 07/04/10 Permalink
iMatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2552 posts
Smash Brothers: Brawl.

Get it, now.
01:19pm 07/04/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7040 posts
i heard somewhere that you can get a recharge pack for these controllers - is this true?
correct, these are good.

also

Mario Kart Wii.
01:19pm 07/04/10 Permalink
rawb
Brisbane, Queensland
1442 posts
Unfortunately the only game worth buying doesn't come out till the end of the year.

01:21pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
4253 posts
If it's down to buying a single game, get the Metroid Prime Trilogy.
01:24pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
2434 posts
I'm a huge fan of resident evil 4.
01:25pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28648 posts
spend your game money on me modding your wii;

im playing super mario galaxy atm coz i missed it first time round;

its fricken awesome;
01:25pm 07/04/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
9755 posts
super mario brothers wii
01:26pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14591 posts
Madworld isn't an fps, and it is also s***. Its fun for maybe half an hour, then the novelty wears off. House of the Dead: Overkill is mad fun though.

As for one game to get, Metroid Prime 3 was pretty sweet. Resident Evil 4 is awesome if you've never played it (and you'd probably get it cheap by now). I haven't played it, but the new Super Marios Brothers game seems to be getting a good wrap, everyone I know who has played it has loved it. Super Mario Galaxy was good, but then number 2 is just around the corner, so you're probably better off waiting for that.
01:27pm 07/04/10 Permalink
gamer
554 posts
Yeah i'll do that spook, nothing worse then having the original CD scratched.

Heh heh... those are some mixed opinions about the game to get... arg, choices choices :)
01:27pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28649 posts
madworld was so disappointing;

01:29pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4685 posts
New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Super Smash Bros. Brawl would have to be my top picks (Both offer co-op modes). After that I'd consider Mario Kart Wii, and Super Mario Galaxy (Galaxy lets another player help out, but it's not a full blown co-op mode).
01:33pm 07/04/10 Permalink
gamer
555 posts
Is there any way to know the 'new' Super Mario Bros from the 'old' one?

01:37pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28650 posts
there is only one super mario bros on the wii
01:39pm 07/04/10 Permalink
gamer
556 posts
Also anyone know about any of these?

2 - weird D shamed hand grip things im still not sure about

What is this D shaped thing for?

Where do I put this one? I've seen wii's setup with the normal (little) infra-red bar at the center of the tv, at the bottom on the tv. Where does this second one go? Above it at the center?

2 - Extra thing that plugs in to the remote control shaped controller for 'higher precision' or somes*** (what does this do)?

What is this thingo? It's just a little 2cm x 3cm x 2cm box that plugs into the bottom of the main controller?
01:40pm 07/04/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
9756 posts
that thing for the controller is motion plus. it makes the controller more accurate etc. other things i have no iea.
01:41pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4686 posts

Where do I put this one? I've seen wii's setup with the normal (little) infra-red bar at the center of the tv, at the bottom on the tv. Where does this second one go? Above it at the center?
It's a replacement for the official one, you don't need to use it.
01:50pm 07/04/10 Permalink
iMatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2553 posts
Oh man NBA JAM in HD! what system(s) is that coming out on?
01:56pm 07/04/10 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
3087 posts
I like mario kart
01:58pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14595 posts
So weird to see an EA sports logo on NBA Jam.
02:01pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28652 posts
nba jam is a wii exclusive isnt it? (ie, not in hd)
02:02pm 07/04/10 Permalink
iMatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2554 posts
oh wait.. the youtube video is in HD, not the game itself, poo.

Still, i'll be all over it when it comes out for the Wii.

Also is that super mario bros out yet for the wii? should be good fun playing coop.
02:05pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28653 posts
when we have our killer instinct/pingpong play off matchfixa, you better add nba jam to the list of things ill beat you at

i f*****g owned back in teh day on the snes with the multitap
02:07pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4687 posts
Also is that super mario bros out yet for the wii? should be good fun playing coop.
Dude, it's been out for almost 5 months.
02:08pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Nathan
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
3394 posts
+1 for Resident Evil 4 on Wii, its ooold now but it is excellent.
02:11pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28655 posts
(it was the game that got that brisbane dude in trouble)
02:11pm 07/04/10 Permalink
iMatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2555 posts
Dude, it's been out for almost 5 months.
aha really? shows how much i'm outta the loop when it comes to wii. At the moment its serving as a good dust collector.

when we have our killer instinct/pingpong play off matchfixa, you better add nba jam to the list of things ill beat you at
Amen to that. I'ma hold you to it!

Let me know if you're good at any of the following too:

Foosball
Pool
Chess
Street Fighter
Super smash bros brawl

But let me tell you now that i got table tennis and Killer instinct in the bag, unless you can prove me wrong?
02:26pm 07/04/10 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5582 posts
I hired Super Smash Bros and couldn't understand why it's so popular? It seemed s***house to me - the characters are tiny and you just jump around doing lame mash moves?
02:30pm 07/04/10 Permalink
iMatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2556 posts
You need to have 4 human players to really enjoy it to its full potential.

It's the free for all mayhem that makes it fun, especially when you set all the weapon/item drop rate to high.

Even with 3 players, try setting a CPU character to the highest difficulty level and attempt to gang up on someone like Donkey Kong and torture the f***ah in the most inhuman way possible: fire, baseballs bats, swords, guns, rocket launchers, you name it. That's just one possibility for mutiplay.

It's a unique concept for a brawler, so you may not get it at the start but personally speaking it's the most addictive multiplayer fun i've had on any system console (well, besides golden eye on the N64).
02:36pm 07/04/10 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
8748 posts
have they released any karaoke Wii games that let you use your own MP3s yet?
10:27pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
1346 posts
Dead Rising: Chop til you Drop is on Wii
I'm not sure how different it is than the 360 version, but killing zombies is pretty awesome on 360.

If I had to pick only one game though, probably Mario something because they never get old.
12:44am 08/04/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4694 posts
Nah, it's actually pretty f*****g terrible. The Wii just doesn't have the power for a game like Dead Rising to work.
01:16am 08/04/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
2184 posts
im playing super mario galaxy atm
Hired that game out and took it death by death with my girlfriend at the time, we cleared the game and only had the unfinished levels and stuff before the three day rental was due back. We didn't exactly play it that much, had to raid wow.

It was a lot of fun but i was shocked how quickly we completed it..
I hired Super Smash Bros and couldn't understand why it's so popular
It IS s***house. It takes a special kind of gamer to sink below the arverage streetfighter and figure "You know what I liek mashing buttons but hate losing because there's an amount of skill you need to play regular fighters, lets remove that and just mash buttons with colours and see how that goes?"

I think its s***, it makes me angry to play, it surely is the worst mario game to exist. Even mario party is better. Can't hold a candle to the popular mario games or the karts.
11:08am 08/04/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4696 posts
It IS s***house. It takes a special kind of gamer to sink below the arverage streetfighter and figure "You know what I liek mashing buttons but hate losing because there's an amount of skill you need to play regular fighters, lets remove that and just mash buttons with colours and see how that goes?"
Eh? The only thing Smash removes from normal fighters is the need to perform a sequence of actions to pull off a special move. Every other fighting game skill is still required. What you're basically suggesting is that to be good at Street Fighter games, I just need to be able to pull off a Shoryuken and a Hadouken, there's no skill after that.

last edited by Mantorok at 13:00:21 08/Apr/10
12:54pm 08/04/10 Permalink
lewd
Brisbane, Queensland
809 posts
house of the dead : overkill
new super mario bros
metroid prime trilogy
force unleashed

all these games will be easily available once u let spook hack your wii.....
definitely worth it as u get hdd with it and no doubt he will stack it with games for you................

12:59pm 08/04/10 Permalink
iMatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2568 posts
I think its s***, it makes me angry to play, it surely is the worst mario game to exist. Even mario party is better
The fact that you're comparing mario party to brawl shows how little you know about the difference between the two.
01:00pm 08/04/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28668 posts
Hired that game out and took it death by death with my girlfriend at the time, we cleared the game and only had the unfinished levels and stuff before the three day rental was due back. We didn't exactly play it that much, had to raid wow.

It was a lot of fun but i was shocked how quickly we completed it..

i finished the game months ago, i dont ever leave a mario game without all stars completed (thats how you are supposed to do it)
01:23pm 08/04/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:23pm 08/04/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.