Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Old dead games
hawkeeyedmejr
Rockhampton, Queensland
1 posts
So I got to thinking about all those games we used to love to play that had fallen victim to time, I figured there must be some sort of group that plays random old dead games, unfortunately though my Google searching yielded nothing.

I created this topic though more importantly to ask if anyone knows of any Australian groups that do this?
08:51am 09/09/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:51am 09/09/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
37334 posts
What do you mean by 'dead', I guess? I know there's a lot of MMOs (and EA games) that are literally "dead" because the online services that are required for them are no longer available.
08:59am 09/09/13 Permalink
hawkeeyedmejr
Rockhampton, Queensland
2 posts
hmm, I suppose I should have clarified, what I meant to say was not dead in the sense that the online servers are down, but just that nobody plays. I'm not really concerned as far as the genre but it feels pointless to play RPGs. For instance one weekend might be bf2 night and next week Age of mythology.
09:03am 09/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1608 posts
I'm not aware of any groups, but holler if you do find any.

I really can't stick to a timetable (the joys of shift work) but hookin into some 'old-school' gaming sounds baus.
09:28am 09/09/13 Permalink
hawkeeyedmejr
Rockhampton, Queensland
3 posts
Yeah, I just thought for sure there would be a group doing that sort of thing, I would take the initiate to make my own but I lack the leadership skills, attentiveness and punctuality to have my own group.
09:31am 09/09/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
4035 posts
Pretty much every console port p2p multiplayer game available on PC? Eg max payne 3, the latest ghost recon.
Indie multiplayer games that people got cheap on steam? eg lead and gold, showdown effect.
Old school MP games? eg tribes, quake, UT, wolf: ET.
09:31am 09/09/13 Permalink
hawkeeyedmejr
Rockhampton, Queensland
4 posts
Yeah any sort of old fps is right up my alley, on Saturday night I thought about playing bf2142 and figured there would be at least a couple people on peak hour 8pm. Not a soul, I used game tracker to check Australian bf2 servers, nobody, then 1942 still no one I couldn't find any game I could remember
09:44am 09/09/13 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
436 posts
You're from Rocky as well? Unlucky broseph.

Not a huge fan of the BF series but otherwise I'd be keen to play some other classics.

On the topic of really old games, I recently got Dosbox setup and was playing some Wacky Wheels multiplayer over lan through its built in serial port emulator. Its pretty crazy and it works over hamachi and stuff as well for online play.

If anyone is interested in doing this with any old dos game hit us up here.
12:52pm 09/09/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2450 posts
I'd be interested in resurrected Kingpin, a FPS based on the Q2 engine.
Phear my leet $kills
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4775/o6zo.jpg
02:22pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
855 posts
Not a particular game, but I really miss old school FFA Deathmatch type play. Everything seems team and goal based now.
02:45pm 09/09/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5817 posts
bring back jedi knight mulitplayer
02:48pm 09/09/13 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1840 posts
Not a particular game, but I really miss old school FFA Deathmatch type play. Everything seems team and goal based now.

Heaps of people playing Quake Live.
03:28pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22125 posts
I still enjoy playing red alert 3, I would play the original red alert but I'm simply too lazy to install it. I also still have Raptor: Call of the shadows which I occasionally bust out dosbox for.

There's a few people who still play cod4, if you can call that old
05:26pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
857 posts
I miss Stargate Resistance, had a very short run and was killed off due to bankruptcy and licensing issues
05:30pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2073 posts
CS Beta 6 and 7 or gtfo.
05:30pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
36461 posts
i was just telling pave the other day how bad i would school him at a game that requires skill like q2ctf or the original counterstrike
05:49pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2074 posts
I miss old Counterstrike and Rocket Arena :(

/rose tints
06:04pm 09/09/13 Permalink
one point twenty one
Gold Coast, Queensland
42 posts
I'd love to be able to play Freelancer again but my copy is long gone :( And have no idea if it'd even run on Windows 8.
06:19pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
412 posts
Tribes 1 and 2. Oh how i miss you!
07:30pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
8122 posts
Tribes Ascend is everything Tribes 2 should have been.
07:35pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
2180 posts
+1 to Tribes Ascend, it's so great... really brings back the memories of Tribes 1.

Check these out if you don't know them:

http://www.gog.com/
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/
http://www.dosgames.com/
http://www.classicdosgames.com/

I've been getting into the old dos games lately.
08:21pm 09/09/13 Permalink
kr0wb4r
Brisbane, Queensland
1240 posts
CS 1.6 is pretty dead these days. In Australia there is really only 1 server that plays 24/7 Dust and is usually quite full because it's the last popular server. The same hosts have a funmap server that usually sits at 1/3rd capacity.

Pretty sad considering how many 32/32 servers there used to be.
10:01pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
115 posts
Wolfenstein 3D and an old school dos game called Fatal Racing were my two favourite old school games. My childhood online game was runescape, which is now runescape 3 and has become a WoW rip off piece of trash I will never go back to.
10:32pm 09/09/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22127 posts
I miss old Counterstrike and Rocket Arena :(/rose tints

I used to love quake 2 ctf, was never any good at it but that didn't stop me loving it. Then I moved on to rocket arena 3 and it had some pretty decent people on it, until every server just started running ra3map1 24 / 7 and it got boring as bats***.
I'd love to be able to play Freelancer again but my copy is long gone :( And have no idea if it'd even run on Windows 8.

I run all my old dos games in dosbox. Some of them work ok, some of them are a bit flakey.
12:01am 10/09/13 Permalink
funky
Canada
1810 posts
Action Quake 2!
12:42am 10/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1609 posts
Action Quake 2!

Now we are talking.

Also, I remember being lucky enough to have a perm-LAN setup in high-school to guarantee a 5 player minimum setup for Doom, Duke3D and Blood (amongst whatever else we wanted to setup).

I had a smash through Quake 1 with my housemate (using the Steam copy of Quake) recently. I left the game @ 320x240 and had a blast!

Command and Conquer was a bit garbage multiplayer (in considering it against the swathe of RTS games available today) but it was good fun for its time.
Warcraft 2 was top RTS dog at my place tho. So easy to get in and smash at, and then tweaking/reworking the maps was a sinch!
01:56am 10/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1382 posts
I thought about installing Red Alert for something to do, I got C&C the last decade on my desk here. I have not played Age of Mythology much, I'm going for look around for a copy.

I got my legit copy of Freelancer around here somewhere. It was pretty cool, Ton of mods for it out there for it too.
06:45am 10/09/13 Permalink
Keen
Perth, Western Australia
78 posts
Q3 Arena.
ET.
CS.

:
12:23pm 10/09/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:23pm 10/09/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.