Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Grand Theft Auto 5 Official AG/QGL Thread
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10150 posts
We haven't had an official thread for a big name game for some time now (I recall Diablo 3 being the last one), and with Grand Theft Auto 5 only mere days away from being released doing so would make sense. So without further ado, herein lies the official AusGamers/QGL Grand Theft Auto 5 thread.

Grand Theft Auto 5 will be launching on September 17th for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. No PC or next-gen versions have been hinted at or revealed yet.

http://img.pandawhale.com/61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif

What is Grand Theft Auto 5?:
If you've been living under a rock since 2008 with the launch of Grand Theft Auto 4, then it may come as a surprise to you that Rockstar are in fact making a brand new numbered Grand Theft Auto title, putting it at number five.

Grand Theft Auto 5 continues the traditional open-world gameplay known to the franchise, though this time pushing the boundaries further with numerous amounts of activities to complete in the world of Los Santos ranging from golfing through to discovering the depths of the ocean floor.
Who will I control in Grand Theft Auto 5? Niko? Tommy?:
In this new title of one of the longest running franchises from gaming's history, Rockstar has introduced for the first time three main protagonists for players to control within the single-player campaign, each with their own backstory to boot.
Amidst the turmoil, three very different criminals plot their own chances of survival and success: Franklin, a street hustler looking for real opportunities and serious money; Michael, a professional ex-con whose retirement is a lot less rosy than he hoped it would be; and Trevor, a violent maniac driven by the chance of a cheap high and the next big score. Running out of options, the crew risks everything in a series of daring and dangerous heists that could set them up for life.
Players will find that they will be able to switch between each of the three protagonists with the flick of a button, which can be demonstrated in the gameplay video below. You'll be able to "resume" from where your character left off, or in some cases where their daily lives took them.
What can I do in Los Santos?:
Lots of things. Rockstar recently unveiled a handy interactive travelogue that features a variety of "unforgettable west coast destination with limitless possibilities." Included in the travelogue is a number of key destinations that players will be able to visit, varying from the high skies thanks to pilotable aircraft or the deep below where players can explore the depths of the ocean. Check it out over here.
What about online?:
With Grand Theft Auto 4 we saw a new take on what online play we could venture forth in the fictional New York city. Gone were the days of utilising a mod to connect through and play San Andreas online, instead Rockstar strengthened the gameplay by offering a near limitless experience through a variety of match modes and challenges.

Grand Theft Auto 5 sees that experience expanded on, this time offering a persistent world not like its previous title. Players will be able to compete online with a range of tools at their disposal, including the ability to create racing matches anywhere in the world.

Grand Theft Auto Online won't be launching until October, but for now you can check out the quite exhausting list of features to help whet your taste buds.
What about Crews?:
Rockstar recently revealed a new introduction to the Rockstar Games Social Club - Crews. This new hierarchy system is available right now for both Grand Theft Auto 5 and its eventual Online launch, and shares a number of similarities to the usual "guild" system found in the MMO genre.

A Crew offers four ranks to be assigned to members; Muscle, Representatives, Lieutenants and Commissioners. Each rank offers various permissions to help grow the Crew, though no in-game benefits so far.
Pre-ordering on the cheap:
As usual for today's gaming standards, Grand Theft Auto 5 is available for pre-ordering from a variety of stores including both digital and physical copies. Here is a short list of the usual places, though there may be a number of other various stores that pop up selling the game.

Whirlpool has a great thread (thanks CTD) already up on the best deals, but here is a snippet for those who can't be bothered visiting.

D*** Smith: D*** Smith are currently selling it for what seems to be the cheapest in Australia, at $87.98. They are currently doing a deal whereby placing down $10 for pre-ordering gets you another $10 off, so you only end up paying $77.98 on release. In-store only.

JB Hi-Fi: JB has it for sale at $89. Comes with the pre-order bonus Blimp DLC.

Ozgameshop: These guys are based in the UK but deliver for free to Australia, and have the game at $67.99. Sadly this is a NTSC version of the game which is compatible with PAL systems (our consoles here), though it is unclear whether DLC will be region locked or not. You've been warned. Will also take roughly a week to be shipped.

EB Games: If you like being ripped off or are too lazy to shop around, EB do have it for sale at the lovely price of $109.95. I have been told they may price match D*** Smith but not 100% sure.

Xbox Live and PlayStation Network: Both consoles have the game available for digital purchase, though Australia has yet again been marked up to the lovely price of $109.95. Be warned, this is a large download (roughly 30GB or more) so prepare your download limits.
SCREENSHOTS:

20130906-gtav-002.jpg 20130906-gtav-001.jpg 20130906-gtav-008.jpg GrandTheftAutoV-5.jpg

GrandTheftAutoV-10.jpg GrandTheftAutoV-9.jpg grandtheftauto5_sc09.jpg grandtheftauto5_sc02.jpg

LINKS:

AusGamers Crew: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/ausgamers
Interactive Travelogue: http://www.rockstargames.com/V/
AusGamers Game Page: http://www.ausgamers.com/games/grand-theft-auto-5/

VIDEOS:

Gameplay Trailer

Grand Theft Auto Online Gameplay Trailer

Character Montage Trailer
09:18pm 12/09/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:18pm 12/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10502 posts
Will be buying day 1 for PS3 where ever is cheapest. Really wish for PC version but cbf'd waiting. I expect frequent FPS drops... not as bothered about the s***** visuals.
09:33pm 12/09/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
975 posts
Will be buying for PC (or pirating first, actually, because GTA4 was a s***** port and I ain't falling for that again...)
09:54pm 12/09/13 Permalink
kryzig
13 posts
Want to play when it comes out but also want on Next Gen Console.
10:21pm 12/09/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22141 posts
am I just getting old or what? because I really don't see what's so great about GTA, any of them.
10:50pm 12/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17446 posts
if the game is available on PC and is on sale for cheap, i may grab it. i really haven't been interested in the gta games since gta:vice city which i stopped playing half way through because it was boring.
10:52pm 12/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1390 posts
Anyone that does get it before me, feel free to post shaky camera videos and pictures. Ill be getting it on PS3, I should hang out with Eorl when GTA Online gets online. I just have to remember my PS3 username.
03:23am 13/09/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1524 posts
I'm in the LA at the moment, the TV ad is on alot and there is advertising everywhere, so pumped! I don't get back to Australia until the end of September, I was going to buy it for PS3 here so it's cheaper but I am too scared too because of the DLC Region lock.
04:45am 13/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2673 posts
Going to wear my Los Santos wanky flat brimmed hat while hanging with my homies on Grove Street, CAN'T F*****G WAIT!

Here's hoping some muppet employee breaks street date so we can play over the weekend!
06:43am 13/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14266 posts
Eorl, you should a section in the OP that details the cheapest place to buy. Perhaps even compare Aus/US prices for those interested in importing it.
07:12am 13/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14267 posts
Also, I got the missus to pre-order mine from D***-Smith. O yeah!
07:13am 13/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10503 posts
07:39am 13/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10151 posts
Eorl, you should a section in the OP that details the cheapest place to buy. Perhaps even compare Aus/US prices for those interested in importing it.
Ah good idea! Also Mos I'm not sure if the DLC is region locked, but you may also find that the American version isn't a PAL version.
07:40am 13/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10504 posts
Eorl maybe lock the other thread to have all GTA talk in one place. hashtag justsayin'
08:14am 13/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14269 posts
Just a heads up the D*** Smith deal is $10 down for $10 off. It is in their catalog as that. There was a point where it was $20 off, however that deal was extended with the $10 down, $10 off.
09:10am 13/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17449 posts
$10 down, $10 off.

wtf does that even mean? put $10 on a preorder to get $10 off?
09:14am 13/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10153 posts
Basically meant that you put $10 down and you get $10 off, essentially making it as if you put $20 down. Previously it was put $10 down get $20 off but as Toll said they seem to have stopped that in the last few days before launch.
09:29am 13/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10505 posts
Think I'll just rock up midnight at JB carindale then. Got the wednesday off work coincidentally... happy days
09:44am 13/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14271 posts
Eorl change your OP, it still says $10 down for $20 off for D*** Smith.
11:07am 13/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17450 posts
I can't believe stores are still charging over $100 for console games.
11:14am 13/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10156 posts
Eorl change your OP, it still says $10 down for $20 off for D*** Smith.

Ah cheers, thought I had before. Welcome Rav to Australia/New Zealand game pricing. Sadly there are enough people in the country that are lazy enough to just go over to EB and pay the price, rather than seeking out a cheaper deal.
11:16am 13/09/13 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1909 posts
Would love for GTAV to be released on PC quicker and not be some dodgy port.

Not buying a console just for it though :I
12:16pm 13/09/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2703 posts
just pre ordered this s***!

probably be there at midnight, cant wait!
12:35pm 13/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14272 posts
Lucky that some robbers Ram Raided a Bank in Sydney during daylight today and not in a weeks time, this way they can't blame it on GTA5. haha
01:28pm 13/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14273 posts
O wait, blame it on Payday 2.
01:28pm 13/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14274 posts
So with all the leaks happening, has there been reports of the what FPS we should be expecting?
01:56pm 13/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2674 posts
Srsly break street date already, apparently the games been ripped and is appearing on sites that feature illegal pirated material.
01:58pm 13/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
132 posts
I don't think you'll be able to play it if it leaks. They usually put down date detections systems on their games. Rockstar are clever like that.
09:08pm 13/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17451 posts
people are already playing it...
09:14pm 13/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
133 posts
people are already playing it...

You're s***ting me. F***. Now I'm edgey. I need a beer :/
09:33pm 13/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14277 posts
Yup there are a few leaks kicking around.

Seems the frame rate is pretty solid, for a console.. About 30fps for the most part. Yay.

There is a lot of attention to detail from the few snippets I dared look at.

I want it now please.
09:39pm 13/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
134 posts
Yup there are a few leaks kicking around.

Seems the frame rate is pretty solid, for a console.. About 30fps for the most part. Yay.

There is a lot of attention to detail from the few snippets I dared look at.

I want it now please.

I'm too scared to look for leaks. Don't want to ruin the surprise hahaha.
10:43pm 13/09/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10648 posts
01:48am 14/09/13 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
3241 posts

Would love for GTAV to be released on PC quicker and not be some dodgy port.

Not buying a console just for it though :I

o hlo, IP desk back up in's again

this is an easy one, at least from an IP protectionism perspective as to the rationale for why a studio delays a PC release until well after those flagship console pressings sink in

imagine millions of users on millions of endpoints on a pc all using the same drm/executable cracks and it leaking around the scene like how quickly you've probably seen how fire takes to let's say, paper when you're lighting the fire place on a blustery cold wintery night (your analogy may vary based on temperate subjectivity and geolocale)

now think of the scope of the reach of the two main console vendor markets, at a much more affordable price point hardware-wise than a PC with enough grunt for crunching AAA game poly's and lighting and texturing. millions more endpoints to a client-server architecture system (assuming we're considering a majority number of them being connected devices) and more easily managed (through firmware revision) of the hardware and software/drm paradigm. fewer working hardware level modifications because of the technical issues/availability and cost/time of installing these system layer delta's.

so now assuming anyone still even care's enough about gaming and this media sell's because of the hype, at least the studio's traditional bricks & mortar retail distribution business model remains fairly well balanced and can reasonably expect modest returns on the various costs of development until they release some so called unoptimised PC port of the codebase (that isn't recieved well by the PC crowd at all apparently), at which point the development of any future title of the franchise is lost or delayed until retail sales even out or exceed their development costings of this version and based or expected to in flow-on-effect sales of future sales projections.

this is probably savvy with the way a lot of development houses or studio's work with the number's varying slightly based on the audiences acceptance of the game, which in the story of GTA, seem's to be almost universal.

and i'm just somewhat of a game play-tester, imagine the fuss guys and gals trying to keep a studio open and functional and creative and dynamic and all the rest of it that the professional creative's who release these games are effectively floating their IP to their public with each time they release.

it's a good thing some (or maybe it's just me?) can maintain anonymity to research this area of computing in a legal loophole vacuum, of sorts, like i do ;P

tl;dr -- this is why we can't have nice thing's on PC as a simultaneous release with the console crowd, it's a price point to 'break even or better' call for Rockstar on a release like this, i suppose.

i wonder if the franchise is anything to do with the energy drink of the same name

ok so most of this opinion is based on taking into account console sales numbers and subject to the attrition rate being low and acceptance high among players of the franchise. tbh i'm bored with it almost as soon as the intro cutscenes transition to gameplay, but this next version has skydiving some other cool looking gameplay innovations so maybe it's not more of the same old take-that-paper and run pointless anarchy this time, or maybe that's one of the gameplay aspects which makes the game so appealing? like pro skater or a good arcade shmup. i am resigned to accept that i will probably never pull of even the most basic moves that i can do with a combo of controller mashing in the game, but i will still play the dooley out of it for some reason. sadly i'm probably not the only one who does this either ;P
02:20am 14/09/13 Permalink
Wrecktim
Perth, Western Australia
890 posts
i'm keen for this game but i go on a 3 week oktoberfest holiday from the 18th
02:20am 14/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10506 posts
so many god damn leak streams up already. not going to bother watching but fark just let us at it.
02:32am 14/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1393 posts
I was hoping to see when I woke up this morning that street date has been broken.

http://i.imgur.com/telRd.jpg

Just for lols I might go to target country and see if they have copies and if they will see to me if they do.
07:31am 14/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10163 posts
Yeah seen a number of screens and .gifs around the Internet showing the game off, nothing story-wise but hot damn does it look good for a console game. Solid 30FPS on PS3 with a huge amount of detail and what looks to be snow for the first time. AI seems really smart as well, so that is a big plus.

Going to hit up Target, Kmart and Big W to see if they have it early.
08:11am 14/09/13 Permalink
Caveboy
Brisbane, Queensland
366 posts
Dusted off the xbox and unraring now:)
08:33am 14/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10507 posts
date has been broken in spain but nothing from AUS yet.
08:46am 14/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10164 posts
Vodka_Boy was nice enough to disband his previous AusGamers crew so now we have the official one up and running under just the AusGamers name. This is public and no invite is needed so go nuts and invite everyone you can so we can have mass carnage come GTA Online!

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/ausgamers
09:17am 14/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14279 posts
Date was broken in Middle East a day or two ago.
09:20am 14/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1394 posts
No luck getting a copy today. Ill just have to wait. Im trying to find a stream to watch but some have been shutdown.
01:22pm 14/09/13 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
3244 posts
considering the street date is still 3 days out, you'd be playing someone's backup copy or be a sneaky insider at some retail store going through manifest/stocktake of midyear christmas stock deliveries?

pics or lying meh it could be somewhat overhyped

last edited by trillion at 14:24:20 14/Sep/13
02:23pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
364 posts
I was watching a stream last night for a few hours and the one thing that really struck me was how much of a "ghost town" feel the more built up city parts had, was really empty, the highways on the other hand were pretty pumping. I'm guessing this is a way to keep the FPS up on current gen, hope xboxone PC has more going on. The game looks sweet, and I can see this being in my life for years to come, just like gta4 was
02:32pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10167 posts
Yeah no luck finding any early copies at Indro, everyone was very stern on keeping the expected date. Rightfully so, stores get fined pretty heavily/gain bad rep from publishers if they leak it early.
I was watching a stream last night for a few hours and the one thing that really struck me was how much of a "ghost town" feel the more built up city parts had, was really empty, the highways on the other hand were pretty pumping. I'm guessing this is a way to keep the FPS up on current gen, hope xboxone PC has more going on. The game looks sweet, and I can see this being in my life for years to come, just like gta4 was
Yeah I've noticed that a bit as well, though oddly enough someone was running down a street and it suddenly went nuts with people everywhere. Maybe pedestrians finally have a realistic life-cycle? I'd also wager that people may have been a bit too spoilt with GTA4 in that it was set in a fictional New York, meaning a higher amount of people would be roaming around.
02:40pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14281 posts
There is a scheduled for civilians in GTA5, it is disused that people have been have moments of no-one around to a fair few people. Hopefully this is due to the scheduled.

Until GTA 5 hits a certain Bay online, I don't think the street date will be pushed forward. Perhaps if it hits they will consider it.
02:49pm 14/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10508 posts
pirated versions are up for both xbox and ps. according to reddit.
03:01pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Pandaemonean
Queensland
5 posts
I watched some live streams of the game being played and it looks good but you can keep your crappy console version Im waiting for PC.
03:15pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14282 posts
Really? Well I guess my hypothesis is a failure.
03:35pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Deviouz
Melbourne, Victoria
365 posts
The ISOs have been on the good sites/trackers (not bay) for over 24hrs, that's where most the streams are coming from
03:44pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14283 posts
Yeah, I was thinking once it hit the bay it may force their hand a little. Guess they don't care, it has 1000 seeders to 6500 leaches. I figured it would have been heaps higher than that, perhaps the 16 gig file is staying peoples hand.

05:21pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
440 posts
I hope lots of people pirate it on xbox and teach rockstar a lesson.

06:42pm 14/09/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10649 posts
about?
07:02pm 14/09/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8744 posts

am I just getting old or what? because I really don't see what's so great about GTA, any of them.

I'm old with you whoop, I don't get this GTA thing.
07:21pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10168 posts
I hope lots of people pirate it on xbox and teach rockstar a lesson.

About what exactly? Encouraging piracy on what everyone is hoping to be a successful title is a bit silly, no? I can understand some PC gamers being upset about not getting a PC version on launch, but everyone seems to forget that Rockstar have never announced a Grand Theft Auto title on PC before the console versions launched. It will most likely come as Rockstar have been quite eager with PC releases but don't expect it soon.
07:28pm 14/09/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18749 posts
Lols half the reason developers don't bother with pc is due to piracy

Pirating it on consoles isn't going to magically make them think 'gee maybe we should have released it on pc'
07:37pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
441 posts
The more people that pirate the game via early leaks on console will help make it clear to Rockstar that piracy isn't just a thing that happens on PC - Since I am of the opinion the main reason the game hasn't been announced on PC yet, is because Rockstar are afraid it will be pirated to the depths of hell like all the other GTA's were.

08:41pm 14/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
137 posts
Just went into JB Hifi and preordered it for 360. Was hoping they'd just give it to me there and then, no luck hahaha. Oh well. Also bought Mantra's new album and NHL 14. Two parties on tonight, so no time anwyay.
08:42pm 14/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1395 posts
Apparently my order has been shipped yesterday (Saturday)according to an email. I might get it on time If Im lucky.
08:28am 15/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10169 posts
Looks like France has pushed it out ahead of the date, heaps of game stores selling it en mass.
09:29am 15/09/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18755 posts
Since I am of the opinion the main reason the game hasn't been announced on PC yet, is because Rockstar are afraid it will be pirated to the depths of hell like all the other GTA's were.

and they are probably right

so what is your point? i'd imagine the amount of pirating on consoles is pretty low relative to pc pirating as it is a bit more of a hassle in general
01:48pm 15/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10170 posts
Here we go people, the "leaked" 360 version has PC and PS4 build code so enjoy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678177
02:07pm 15/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14284 posts
Yeah, it is pretty much all but confirmed about PC and PS4 and probably Xboned.
The real question is WHEN.

Also, break street date already.
02:08pm 15/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10171 posts
Also, break street date already.
Wish D*** Smith would just offer it a few minutes before closing time on Monday, instead of having to wait until 9am Tuesday. Ah well, still got Last of Us to finish.
03:59pm 15/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2675 posts
Worst weekend ever, So many leaks hard to avoid information and net get even more hyped for Tuesday.
04:22pm 15/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14285 posts
Yeah I stopped looking at leaks as they are starting to get beyond a few glimpses of coolness to mission spoilers. So far avoided all mission spoilers and got enough info to know I'll be happy with my purchase.

There is a small issue with xbox360 that it streams a little slow, the FPS stays around 25-30 however it can have moments where people/cars suddenly pop into the scene, although not too badly.

Not sure about load times for PS3, although my guesstimate is that the PS3 version will be better overall. Xbox360 slightly more popping as the CPU will struggle to keep up, whilst PS3 might have longer load times.. <-- my guess though.

In the end though, for both system it looks and plays fantastic for the most part, definitely pushing the 360 to it's uppermost limit, it probably doesn't get any better for the machine. Well done Rockstar.
04:27pm 15/09/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1506 posts
Hmm - EB being d**** and won't price match JB-HIFI for midnight launch on gold coast... going to pick it up Tuesday from JB - EB can blow me.
05:31pm 15/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10172 posts
Yeah Toll it seems PS3 may just pull ahead slightly with their version. I'm hearing some 2x AA, better lighting and less load times/pop ins. Guess time will tell.

I found this video while browsing around that compares the two versions, do not watch if you don't want to be spoiled and also somewhat NSFW at the beginning.
06:12pm 15/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10511 posts
Hmm - EB being d**** and won't price match JB-HIFI for midnight launch on gold coast... going to pick it up Tuesday from JB - EB can blow me.

That sucks. My plan is to pickup midnight at JB. Reckon JB would be less c***y and price match Target for $79 midnight pickup? Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
06:38pm 15/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17453 posts
lack of boob physics is disappointing.
06:39pm 15/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1396 posts
lack of boob physics is disappointing.

They should hire some of the devs who make DOA fighting games. They would fix this right up.
09:18pm 15/09/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10651 posts
http://i.imgur.com/HOuJIu2.gif

The weather/water effects are looking pretty nice compared to IV.
09:33pm 15/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17454 posts
the effects in ac4 and bf4 look better.
10:36pm 15/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10173 posts
the effects in ac4 and bf4 look better.

At least we are finally getting somewhat realistic wave effects that push the boat up into the air.
10:53pm 15/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
139 posts
Getting a message from JB Hifi tomorrow saying the game's been released a day early will make my day. DOOO ITTTTTTTTT. ARGH. Them water effects look awesome :O
11:06pm 15/09/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1525 posts
Amazon broke street date

Street date broken by online retailer Amazon

The street date for highly-anticipated release Grand Theft Auto V has been broken, with many consumers who pre-ordered their copies of the game receiving it this weekend.

The title is officially due for release on Tuesday but online retailer Amazon has already dispatched copies of the game, much to the delight of consumers, who have been posting images to social networking sites Instagram and Twitter.

Rockstar has issued a short note to GamesIndustry International stating: "We are in the process of investigating early 'sales' to determine how and why that is occurring."

The move will frustrate bricks-and-mortar retailers who only received their stock on Saturday and possibly push stores to begin selling the game early.

Grand Theft Auto V is likely to be one of the biggest sellers this generation with some estimating it could shift 18 million units during publisher Take-Two's financial year.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-15-rockstar-investigating-gta-v-early-sales
02:45am 16/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1612 posts
I didn't see it linked above but for those who are buying GTA V this week, there's an OzBargain post about some 'in-game' offers.
Check it out HERE.
You'll need to log in using your Rockstar Social Club credentials (If you've played GTA IV or Max Payne 3 online at all you should already have this), and then follow the details on the OzB post.

That's an interesting video link for comparison purposes Eorl.
It looks as though the divide from GTA IV has been corrected at least (god it looked awful on 360 compared to PS3).
Curious as to whether it's just 'time of day' differences between the two, because the shadows and shading on the PS3 shots looks more complex (to reiterate, it may just be because it is afternoon in the PS3 shots though.)

On price matching @ EB.
I know I'll be price matching for the Collectors Edition of it on PS3 on the night (Doesn't look like many details are floating around for CE prices atm, so at minimum, I'll stab them with the '$10 down, $10 off the final price' DSE deal.)
There are some bell ends within that organisation who hear the 'wrong version' of the rules. (e.g. I've had a store manager cite that they can't match a certain chain as there isn't a store in the mall that this store was. Only to price match something a week or two later based on an 'print-advertised' price from that same competitor store.)
bottom line, if you're 'stuck' going to EB to pick it up, and get an argument on the night, buy it at full price and take the complaint up the chain. If there's an unfavourable response you can always return it within 7 days.
By the same token, if you see a cheaper price in the first week after you've bought it, you can 'return it, and then price match the new price' using EB's own policies; it becomes an 'attitude test' type scenario pretty quickly.

Wowie, Amazon broke street date!
I've seen some of the larger chains get pounded (and through industry contacts heard about plenty about the financial penalties too). I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation between Take Two and Amazon.
Not sure if that'll mean diddley here, but it'd be nice to pick up my copy tomorrow arvo!
05:38am 16/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14287 posts
I think amazon didn't mean to break street date, they miscalculated their minimum delivery time and some people have received it earlier than expected.
06:59am 16/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2676 posts
if you're 'stuck' going to EB to pick it up, and get an argument on the night, buy it at full price and take the complaint up the chain. If there's an unfavourable response you can always return it within 7 days.
By the same token, if you see a cheaper price in the first week after you've bought it, you can 'return it, and then price match the new price' using EB's own policies; it becomes an 'attitude test' type scenario pretty quickly.

IMO that's a lot of effort and mental energy just to get $10 back.
07:47am 16/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1613 posts
IMO that's a lot of effort and mental energy just to get $10 back.

The difference isn't always $10, and some people work closer to the stores than others.
(ie for me, my office is about 60m from a mall with a JB and EB store in them so this could be done in a lunch break.)

Dun get me wrong, point taken; but for some, $10 is 1 less night to be eating mi-goreng.
08:46am 16/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17455 posts
so when does the review embargo lift? seems kind of odd for them to leave it this late.
08:50am 16/09/13 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
2092 posts
Midnight our time?
08:59am 16/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10174 posts
Believe some time tonight. Also, so much hype.

http://s14.postimg.org/i3gnntn67/1379257757188.gif
10:13am 16/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14288 posts
The difference is, the hype generated is more so from random videos people are showing then semi-scripted interview answers and press releases. So real hype.
10:27am 16/09/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1507 posts
Someone needs to break street.. looking at you target...
10:37am 16/09/13 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2663 posts
Dear god this hype is unbearable. Have avoided mostly all gaming during my honours year but COME ON, just look at that police car get flipped and crushed.
10:56am 16/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1397 posts
Driving that thing in Eorls GIF would be awesome. You could pick up a small car in the scoop and then dump it over a cliff.
10:59am 16/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10512 posts
Went to carindale to get my dad a birthday pres. Tried to get a cheeky copy at the usual spots. No deal.
11:06am 16/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17456 posts
this kid got the game before you guys. bad parents are bad.

11:55am 16/09/13 Permalink
Audi
Perth, Western Australia
403 posts
3hrs till street break
12:02pm 16/09/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1508 posts
3hrs till street break

sauce? will grab from JB around the corner lol
12:10pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14289 posts
Ahh How awesome would it be, street break at 3:15pm, all the kiddies rush out to buy it, then BAM! YOU AINT 18 B****, GTFO! and watch their sweet little hearts crumble. This has been Rockstars plan all along.
12:17pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10175 posts
3hrs till street break

Where exactly did you hear this?
12:23pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Audi
Perth, Western Australia
404 posts
It's the usual time street breaks occur..
12:26pm 16/09/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1510 posts
It's the usual time street breaks occur..

Hope it happens.. Noone except EB is doing midnight launch here... and I'm not paying $30~ more or waiting till midnight...

So yeah.. about 5:30 this afternoon would be fantastic.
01:30pm 16/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10514 posts
banned from the forams if i dont have gta5 at 3.03pm
02:20pm 16/09/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1511 posts
banned from the forams if i dont have gta5 at 3.03pm

mods pls
03:34pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14292 posts
No way would there be an official street break, wayy too many midnight deals sorted out.

The best you'll get it maybe catching a sneaky copy at 5:30pmish as stores close.
03:59pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Audi
Perth, Western Australia
406 posts
gta 4 broke as have loads of others with midnight launches.
Looks like this wont thou.
04:05pm 16/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1398 posts
TOLL picked up my game today in Melbourne. Still there according to the tracker. Looks like Ill get it wedensday.
04:37pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Ivonin
Brisbane, Queensland
1170 posts
I wants :(
07:18pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
140 posts
This wasn't the Monday I had hoped for. Text messages from friends were making me rage. "WHY U NOT JB HIFI?!"

Tomorrow at work will be a long day.

http://puu.sh/4rWvg
07:59pm 16/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1400 posts
This game has everything, even cow tipping it seems.
08:14pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14297 posts
There is one thing this game doesn't have..

Being in my Xbox! Damn it, I have to wait through work all day, I'll be taking the afternoon off early, students can learn themselves or whatever.
Kids will be going to bed at .. I dunno .. 5:00pm maybe .. Pfft I wish, more like 7:00pm damn it.

Then Wednesday morning at work, I'm going to be a blubbering mess, perfect time to enter marks I think.
08:17pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
141 posts
There is one thing this game doesn't have..Being in my Xbox! Damn it, I have to wait through work all day, I'll be taking the afternoon off early, students can learn themselves or whatever.Kids will be going to bed at .. I dunno .. 5:00pm maybe .. Pfft I wish, more like 7:00pm damn it.Then Wednesday morning at work, I'm going to be a blubbering mess, perfect time to enter marks I think.

I hear that. Up for work at 6, home from work at 6. Monday to friday. No time to play games on the weekend because I'm never home. I'm just gonna have some coffee fueled days of work I think ;) The wait is killing me.
08:23pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10176 posts
No luck at D*** Smith, the lady at the counter laughed off the fact that they were right out the back but was very stern on saying they couldn't put it out yet. Have a feeling Rockstar have been quite heavy handed with this release and wanting as smooth of a launch as possible.
08:57pm 16/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
144 posts
Just got a text from JB Hifi saying they're opening at 8am tomorrow for the GTA 5 launch. WHYYYYYYYYYYY! Should've pulled a sicky like the apprentice did today ;)
11:30pm 16/09/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2704 posts
got it!
12:14am 17/09/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2705 posts
omgz hurry up and install
12:25am 17/09/13 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5400 posts
Also installin. Went to JB Loganholme midnight launch. Was quite busy, took about 35 minutes in line.
01:12am 17/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1615 posts
... Have a feeling Rockstar have been quite heavy handed with this release and wanting as smooth of a launch as possible.

To be honest, no more than any other game. Microsoft are probably the most up-front about release date restricted software.
(and despite adhering a 'do not release before xx/xx/xxxx' sticker of every piece of stock they release, people still manage to f*** it up)
Whilst I used to work for one of the 'villains' of the industry we'd occasionally see some 'high profile' [read: popular] stock a lot earlier than you might think it be available.

I recall one of the first WoW expansions arriving in store a full week before launch. It pretty quickly became an 'unwritten rule' in my store to not even talk about it like it was in store for fear of it enraging the masses. (I recall receiving something like $60k worth of WoW stock for one of the exp packs... think about that, that's quite a white elephant to not even 'acknowledge' its existence, despite having to assign staff to process it into the stores stock). Those figures were dramatically larger for the console launches I worked for (PS3 and Xbox 360 processed almost more than a quarter of the stores annual budget in their respective launch nights.)

The temptation to 'borrow' some games before launch, whilst present; wasn't worth my job. (Often I'd have had the stock fully paid off and literally need to process it through the register. But still need to wait 3 or 4 days LOOKING AT the stock).

It was fun working for a well disciplined store and convincing less disciplined competitors to break street date so you could 'release the hounds' on your own stock to customers ;)

I picked up my copy of GTA V CE tonight. Didn't manage a fantastic price (as so few other stores seem to even advertise the Collectors Edition...) Only scored the DSE '$10 deposit, $10 off the purchase price' in the end.

Stuck at work looking at it right now... probably won't get to play it til Wednesday afternoon :/
01:34am 17/09/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1527 posts
Does it require an install for PS3 or just Xbox?
01:47am 17/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1616 posts
Alright, I've disassembled the CE now.
The packaging is pretty solid; Steelbook case is kinda nice.

The Blueprint map is pretty sizeable, and instead of just being a blank map, actually has some 'hidden items' marked (Might be worth googleing for a copy)

The '59fifty' style Baseball-esque cap looks alright tho I'll probably never wear it.
The 'security deposit' bag is kinda cool. I thought it might've worked well as a tablet case/bag, but I think it might be a bit small for a 10-11" tab. The 'keyed locking mechanism' on it is a lot more elaborate that I'd have thought it would be!

All-in-all not as cool as the 'safety deposit box' and duffle bag from GTA IV, but pretty cool.

Does it require an install for PS3 or just Xbox?

I'd think it'd need an install for PS3 too.
Query for the 360 users among us though... how many disks does it come on?
01:51am 17/09/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2706 posts
yeah ps3 required 8gb install, about 20 mins

game is damn awesome.... just play it
07:21am 17/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10178 posts
Thank goodness my HDD bay kit for the PS3 slim is coming today, only have a 12GB model. Will be picking the game up in just under an hour before work, and then the terrible temptation of just going home will be nagging at me.

I'm actually kind of glad I didn't get it any earlier, finally finished Last of Us and oh boy was that a friggin amazing game. Would have sucked had I gained an early copy, juggling two good games is a really hard thing to do.
08:08am 17/09/13 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
1039 posts
Left my house at like 9:58, pre-ordered and back home by 10:04
Left my house at 11:59, 4th in line because I got there earlier (about 100 peeps there), grabbed GTA V and back home by 12:03 ... magic haha.

Ended up getting it on 360 as that's the version my mates will be grabbing...intro to the game is fantastic!
09:25am 17/09/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1512 posts
Awesome time for DVD drive in xbox 360 to f*****g crap out! Fuuuu
09:30am 17/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14300 posts
Just picked up my copy from D*** Smith, North Lakes. $10 on for $10 off deal worked liked a charm and bought it for a total price of $69.98. Booya.

Now I fear the DVD drive will crap it before I can play (no signs of that, but still..)

I feel for you Arkter, that is balls.
09:59am 17/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10181 posts
Grabbed mine this morning after a bit of kerfuffle at D*** Smith, the counter clerk was having a bit of trouble assigning the pre-order discount but got there in the end. I was surprised to find a map in the standard edition, been awhile since I've had one of these.
10:02am 17/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1402 posts
For those of you who have apple phones, you can get a free companion app.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51371/the-free-gtav-ifruit-and-game-manual-companion-apps.html

Android version will come later :/
10:09am 17/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14302 posts
Haha Eorl, my D*** Smith guy had trouble processing the order first too. They have to do some business about refunding the pre-order and selling the game in 1 transaction for it to work for them. They get $10 of D**** money from their central location.
10:50am 17/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14303 posts
Didn't get my Blimp Code though :(

I don't really care to ride in the blimp, but the tight arse in me wants to get the code as it was part of the Pre-Order..
10:59am 17/09/13 Permalink
glynd
Melbourne, Victoria
1040 posts
Didn't get my Blimp Code though :(

I don't really care to ride in the blimp, but the tight arse in me wants to get the code as it was part of the Pre-Order..

yeah, wasn't that meant to be in the game box? I didn't get mine.
11:06am 17/09/13 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
2058 posts
I work for d****mith, they did a double ur deposit.

U pay $10 and d*** smith add $10.

Bringing the game down to $68.

We only had 10 copies or something stupid.
11:15am 17/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10182 posts
One at indro had a heap of pre-orders, but it seems mine was the "first" PS3 pre-order and everyone after me had an easier transaction. I didn't get the blimp code but that was because of some store allocation stuff up. Don't really care too much, its just a blimp to ride around in and I'm sure there is more than enough vehicles in-game to satisfy my pleasures.
11:50am 17/09/13 Permalink
Resonate
Brisbane, Queensland
646 posts
I got the blimp code when I picked up my copy from JB in the city. I didn't pre-order either.
12:24pm 17/09/13 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
2094 posts
Just price matched down to 79 at EB. Very easy. Didn't check for it but I don't care about blimp code.
12:33pm 17/09/13 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3337 posts
^^ ditto. Walked into EB, asked for price match. Now to play the waiting game at work
12:44pm 17/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17459 posts
just a heads up. rockstar has recommended that you don't install the play disc on the 360. installing it will affect the games ability to stream texture data which will cause a noticeable amount of pop-in of objects and textures.

last edited by ravn0s at 12:54:04 17/Sep/13
12:52pm 17/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14306 posts
Thank for the heads up Ravn0s, I would have installed the Play Disc.

Makes sense really, if Rock* have indeed push this machine to its limits than the data seek time streamed from the DVD would be running concurrently with HDD seeking, with it installed it would be making the HDD do twice as much work/make the streaming sequential. My guess anyway.

01:17pm 17/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14308 posts
You can install the Install Disc to HDD and Play Disc to a USB drive and it sorts out the pop-in issues. Hooray.
01:42pm 17/09/13 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
2095 posts
If I still had a fat 360 I'd have the s**** about running it off the disc. But the new slim is pretty quiet.

Thanks for the tip rav
02:10pm 17/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10186 posts
500GB HDD installed into PS3 and now begins the GTA fun!
04:24pm 17/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14309 posts
S***balls.

I rang my DS where I bought my game for about the Blimp code, he has nothing about it apparently. O well, guess I wont be using the blimp once..
04:56pm 17/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1403 posts
My copy is sitting in towoomba......and not being delivered it seems. Its 5:08pm now and the game got to toowoomba at 1:28pm. Theres plenty of time to get it here to Warwick. Doubt its going to get here until tomorrow. What a Bummer.
05:10pm 17/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10187 posts
This game is amazing. That is all.
06:37pm 17/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1617 posts
This game is amazing. That is all.

LOL, all this thread to sum it up like that eh Eorl?

I got home from work @ 7:30am, installed it (8.65Gb on PS3 took about 20 mins) and played the epilogue and 'first mission' to save the game and pack it up.

I like the 'lighter' driving model (makes all the cars from GTA IV feel like 'American Muscle cars') and the 'sunroof' and headlight control in the game is cool too!
Radio controls suck (left on dpad only... and can only cycle one way through stations it seems). (See next post)
It is pretty, and I look forward to probably only getting another 15-30 mins on it tomorrow.

GG real world... getting in the way of game playing time damnit!
12:42am 18/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
146 posts
Woops. Stayed up later than I should be. Loving this game so far. Lamar's a crack up. Visuals are nice. Cars feel nice to drive. I actually get that gut feeling when I'm driving fast. Changing radio stations is stupid though.
01:19am 18/09/13 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10654 posts
Radio controls suck (left on dpad only... and can only cycle one way through stations it seems).
You can bring up a big wheel and manually select whatever staion you like + see what track is currently playing on it...
01:32am 18/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1620 posts
I stand corrected.

I kinda like the way the track shows up when you switch station (excepting that it's HUEG and tries to dominate the screen) way better than remembering the 'shazam-esque' service phone no from GTA IV.
01:40am 18/09/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1528 posts
I got a 12gb PS3 too (Picked it up for last of us) is it really worth getting for the PS3 or is Xbox 360 version still just as good?
02:09am 18/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14316 posts
So I played around 5 hours last night and enjoyed every single second of it.

1 thing I noticed was the lack of loading, I didn't notice it at all. Also noticed very little pop-ins, I think I noticed it maybe once.

I really like the car modeling, the sporty lower cars handle so much better than a high speed family stock sedan, dat body roll.

I'm about 9% of the way in.

I took a bicycle up the mountain on the cable cars and was peddling around the top when I slipped off the side of the mountain and did an EPIC downhill ride.

I found a Beach buggy thing (the one with the long nose) and drove it back to home on the other side of the map. I noticed two things:

1. The map isn't as big as people make it out to be (still big though).
2. The attention to detail is awesome. I'm driving along hit a few things, rammed by a couple of cops and eventually my front right wheel was damaged and the car pulled to my right. I kept driving, determined to park it in my garage. Eventually a big spark or something happened on the wheel and it lost all its rubber, so I was just driving on the rim. I could hear the steel rim on the road as I was driving, sounded awesome.
I got it to a mod-shop and was sad to find it wasn't modable :(
Parked it in my garage for future missions :D

08:24am 18/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10188 posts
From what I've seen the PS3 version seems to offer the better quality, with less frame dips and some crisper AA. Shadows also seem to have better quality compared to the X360 version.

So I played for about fourish hours last night, oh boy is it good. The driving is amazing, so much better than GTA4's wacky control system. Everything feels nice and grippy, but at the same time you can lose control of your car if you take a tight turn or hit someone. Cars also seem to have individual damage to the wheels, because I was driving around in a somewhat beat up car and it was pulling to the left constantly which I thought was awesome.

The actual gameplay is 10x better than GTA4. It feels like an advancement from the get go with a range of new changes including controls, how missions work, enemy AI trying to flank an pedestrian AI doing its own thing during the day. HUD is nice and minial, I really like the GPS but don't pay attention to it much. Story characters are hilarious, especially your dog Chop.

Car modding is insane. So much to do on a car that it just blows the water out of some of the more dedicated car games. Also modding a car and leaving it on the street gets it impounded which I thought was awesome.

Overall, if this game comes to PC or PS4 I can see myself double/triple dipping easily. Its a great GTA and the story is just so much better than GTA4's "oh no I want to get away from killing but wait lets go kill everyone" that Niko had. Definitely recommend!
08:25am 18/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14317 posts
O and THANK YOU for adding the day/night cycling when you start a mission that is set at a different time to the current time. Instead of telling you to come back later, BAM! it just does this awesome timelapse thing, which also looks really nice.
08:26am 18/09/13 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
444 posts
Just bit the bullet and bought my first xbox 360 2nd hand from EB. Only $76 for a hdmi model + 1 controller, was impressed. GTA V ready to roll tonight xD.
09:20am 18/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2678 posts
I get a tad overwhelmed with everything i can do and everything i want todo... So Much to explore.
09:26am 18/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10191 posts
I get a tad overwhelmed with everything i can do and everything i want todo... So Much to explore.

Same, and I haven't even touched the underwater section (though not sure if I will thanks to sharks...). It definitely isn't as "large" as everyone was claiming, but the way the island is structured makes it feel larger than life, especially with the windy roads.
09:32am 18/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14318 posts
Comon Eorl, I beat you to the punch with my posts, both about wheels and map size ;D

09:53am 18/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14320 posts

Still hate the behind-the-car camera angle – too bloody low.

You can set it to 'high' in options. It's still too low for me but it is better.

Just saw this on Whirlpool GTA thread. OMG yes. I'm constantly driving around with my thumb pushing downward on the right stick to push that camera up just a little (invert ftw).
10:30am 18/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14321 posts
Pro Tip:

Stop next to a sporty car at a red light and start reving your engine....
11:06am 18/09/13 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
2097 posts
Just saw this on Whirlpool GTA thread. OMG yes. I'm constantly driving around with my thumb pushing downward on the right stick to push that camera up just a little (invert ftw).

I had no idea there's a setting! That's good to know. View was s***ting me as well especially when driving downhill you can't see oncoming cars.

That special driving ability is pretty op imo. Also while car handing is good, bikes just feel way too twitchy.
11:07am 18/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10193 posts
Pro Tip:

Stop next to a sporty car at a red light and start reving your engine....

Heh, this AI is pretty awesome. Also got $6000 from killing a robber who had stolen a handbag, decided not to give it back because I needed the money. Sadly I lost that money when I got held up in a store only a few minutes later, was annoying.
11:24am 18/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14322 posts
held up in a store? WTF?

I find the motorbikes heaps easier to use then GTAIV/SA. Perhaps its because I ride a motorbike now and have a dedicated part of my brain for bikes or something hehe
11:44am 18/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10195 posts
Yeah I'm not having much trouble with motorbikes I actually prefer them because you can zip in-between other cars a lot easier.
held up in a store? WTF?
Its a random event just like the ones on the street where you see people beating each other up or gun point robbery. Was just in a convenience store and the robbers had guns pointed at me and demanded money. I could have chased after them but didn't really bother, instead went and robbed another store hah.
11:52am 18/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2679 posts
Motorbikes were majorly tweaked in GTAIV Lost and the Damned,

Prior to that they were pretty meh in every GTA, Vice bikes were ok, but still a b**** to use at times.
11:54am 18/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14323 posts
Ohhh, you mean the peddlies..

Funny story. After doing some missions I stole a Jet plane to fly around the map a bit, tried to land on top of the mountain, it was a big explosive fail. The nearest hospital happened to be right near the cable car that goes to the top of the mountain. Sweet, I stole a car and drove to the cable car but missed it and had to wait, so I walked downstairs and found my first push bike. Jumped on and rode up the stairs and into a cable car.

Took the cable car to the top of the mountain, pushy stayed with me, yay. So I peddled up to the edge of Dead Mans Trail (or whatever) and had a look down, then tapped by peddle button by accident and BAM! I'm rolling down the mountain. Had an epic Downhill mountain bike run, massive stack halfway that took me from 100% health down to about 5%, push landed next to me. Picked it up and continued my downhill run.
Ended up finishing the run next to the cable car again. So good.

12:03pm 18/09/13 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3339 posts
Only played a few hours last night but I'm liking what I see.

The R rating is great, so much swearing and titties.
12:30pm 18/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14324 posts
The attention to detail in this game is pretty serious. So many little things.

The noise when going through a tunnel.
Flip flops that flip flop.
Busting tires and running on rims, complete with sparks and sound effects.
Engine cooling noise when you park it.
The decorations in the various houses.
The way the characters always try to look behind them when you move backwards.
The water/waves..
Little facial ticks and expressions during cut scenes.
The TV shows on random TV's..

This list could seriously go on and on.
02:45pm 18/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10199 posts
If anyone is still looking at grabbing it, Ebay are actually selling either PS3 or X360 copies for $62, they only have something like 2,500 copies left. Grab it while its hot!
03:01pm 18/09/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21129 posts
Yeah, I'm impressed how much unique art there is for all the buildings. I mean Saints Row is fun, but the city is pretty drab, and lots of copy-pasted buildings, but just driving around the city of GTAV theres so many unique billboards and signs and storefronts, its insane.
03:52pm 18/09/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
8138 posts
I have a copy sitting on my desk for my brother, who doesn't get home until late tonight. PS3 version.

Question: Does the PS3 version have/need a serial? We both have our own PS3s - I've never really been in to GTA, but am willing to give it a shot (if I like it, I'll buy a copy) - can it be installed on both consoles, or is it locked down somehow? I assume of course it needs the disc in to run unlike some titles.
03:58pm 18/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17461 posts
Yeah, I'm impressed how much unique art there is for all the buildings. I mean Saints Row is fun, but the city is pretty drab, and lots of copy-pasted buildings, but just driving around the city of GTAV theres so many unique billboards and signs and storefronts, its insane.

i'm sure a lot of games could be just as unique and detailed if they spent 5 years in development.
04:05pm 18/09/13 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7300 posts
If anyone is still looking at grabbing it, Ebay are actually selling either PS3 or X360 copies for $62, they only have something like 2,500 copies left. Grab it while its hot!
Thanks for the heads up Eorl, ordered! there's only a lil over 100 left now...selling it out quick!

After Ultra Street Fighter 4 i won't be getting any more games for the 360 cause it's all gonna be about next gen baby!
04:14pm 18/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1404 posts
I got it this morning. Been playing for like 5 hours. Its pretty good.

I held up a convenience store and got $600.

Walked over to a random group of 3 guys, they started talking s*** and wanted a fight to I decked them.

I was driving by and a random event happened. A woman said her friend was getting stabbed or some crap. She led me behind a house and then 3 dudes tried to kill me. I took them out and got money and a shotgun for my trouble.

I was near the beach and I notice this lone woman standing around. She was a hooker, I got a $50 service. afterwoods it apparently increased my stamina.

Found a BMX.

I am amazed this passed our ratings....were they high at the time?

My PS3s Fans were going hard too after a while. I wonder if I should open it up and try and keep it cool or something.
04:49pm 18/09/13 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
1918 posts
07:59pm 18/09/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
984 posts
I'll see you all in 6 months when the f*****s are done milking the console market and turn to the PC market to get their extra yacht's.
08:10pm 18/09/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6430 posts
will get this + xbox one
09:01pm 18/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1405 posts
I got to be Trevor. When you first get to be him, stuff goes down and im all WTF, why Rockstar??

He has a total screw loose but stuff he does is funny.

I seem to get wasted a lot in game. A lot more then in GTA 4.
12:35am 19/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10200 posts
Just got Trevor as well, very bizarre character but hilariously wacky.
07:07am 19/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2680 posts
Unlocking Trevor was a hilarious yet sad moment

Spoiler:
WHY DID HE HAVE TO KILL JOHNY
07:15am 19/09/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2707 posts
lol wait till u play a few missions with trevor he is so funny!

so far there has been a few things in this game where even i was suprised it made our classification

eg. i walked out of a shop and some woman while on the phone she walked passed and said "im pregnant isn't that great" so i proceed to do a running punch in her stomach, i thought i was just gonna punch her in the face but god damn haha

07:28am 19/09/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21130 posts
I am amazed this passed our ratings....were they high at the time?

Yeah, I was suprised too, especially since one of the first things you can do as Franklin when you get to your house is sit down on the couch and smoke weed. Wasn't Saints Row 4 originally RC'd cos of drug use?
11:42am 19/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2682 posts
I can only assume it's because taking a drug doesn't have a positive effect on the character thus doesn't promote the drug in a positive light. (i'm assuming this, i smoked weed in the game and it made the screen hazy and i didn't notice a stat boost or beneficial element to it, i could be wrong and simply missed it though)

Where as in other games the drug has been say morphine and has provided either a boost to stats or health which advertises the drug in a positive light.

the strangers and freaks mission where you smoke drugs Spoiler:
and go on a rampage and shoot aliens
i thought was a bit extreme and surprise it got it.

The real shock though has been the upfront sex scenes, whilst they don't have nudity they are pretty in your face and I'm very shocked they made it through.
12:59pm 19/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10204 posts
The real shock though has been the upfront sex scenes, whilst they don't have nudity they are pretty in your face and I'm very shocked they made it through.
Same here, very surprised that GTA5 made its way through our rating system without gaining any modifications at all. I'm not complaining about it at all, it's finally nice to have an adult game with an adult rating, but just boggles my mind that Saints Row 4 can get tapped on the shoulder for alien narcotics (the mission in question didn't even offer any permanency to the powers gained).

The one strangers and freaks mission where Spoiler:
you find the paparazzi guy and take pictures of a 23 year old actress having sex with a guy
made me wonder if our classification board was high themselves or because its GTA they just don't give a toot?
01:10pm 19/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2683 posts
I'm just waiting for the standard News dot com dot au article that bangs on about our classification board failing us by letting a game that is too extreme for an R18+ rating through the system.

My 10 yr old son was telling me that none of his friends at school have it or are allowed to play it... and asked why he couldn't watch me play it. After explaining that it has nudity and really bad language beyond what he hears me yell when i stub my toe he asked why it had that stuff in it.. which I couldn't really answer.

I started wondering if the game would be as fun with out all that excessive language, nudity and drug use, and the answer is yes... However the fact that it has that extra adult content, re-affirms it as being a game for adults with adult themes and hopefully it will reaffirm that for at least some ill informed parents.
01:42pm 19/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14326 posts

It is a pretty strange thing in our society that things such as the shear brutality and violence in GTA5 is not shocking, but the Sex scenes have been mentioned as shocking. In other words, it seems we as a society are more scared of little our young adults being exposed to Sex then we are violence. :/

Anyway, less serious talk, more fun talk. GTA5 is still being very awesome. My only 2 b****** about it so far is that the Dune Buggy (with the long nose) is not modable and when playing golf, the ball can go through tree canopies unhindered it seems. Everything else has been sweet.
03:43pm 19/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2684 posts
Anyone created a Ausgamers or QGL Crew yet?
03:48pm 19/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1407 posts
I was fighting this bouncer at a strip club and he said "I know MMA, Mexican Martial Arts".

I think I liked the vehicle handleing in GTA 4 better in general. Could by my controller too, its not an offficial playstation one.

The dialog and stuff is well done.

Anglo-saxon type countries are prudes, have been for years. Religious people don't help the situation either. George RR Martin knows whats up. http://imgur.com/gallery/TiQLf

Speaking of religion, I should check out that religious cult in the game.
05:54pm 19/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10205 posts
Anyone created a Ausgamers or QGL Crew yet?

Sure have Grog, can find it here: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/ausgamers. Invite as many people as you want to it, the Crew is open to one and all.
07:12pm 19/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
148 posts
I'm enjoying locking onto people and pressing the right directional button. It insults them. Some people get real worked up and it leads to fisticuffs. Love it :) Haven't done much freeroaming, enjoying the story mode too much. Not far into it yet though.
08:35pm 19/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10208 posts
Oh, you can reply to emails by hitting X/A, some really funny replies especially from Trevor.
09:38pm 19/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
149 posts
Oh, you can reply to emails by hitting X/A, some really funny replies especially from Trevor.

Oh awesome :) I dunno what it is with this game, but driving at high speeds gives me that awesome feeling in my stomach I get on some rides and stuff. Never had that from a game before.
09:43pm 19/09/13 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
413 posts
I love how you can read emails or text while driving.

Awesome detail in this game. I like how the stock market comes into play when doing some missions.

If your smart you can invest some cash into a company that is about to profit from what ever trouble your about to get into. Its tricky because you have to pay close attention to dialog and the news to know where to invest.

02:19am 20/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1408 posts
Poor Michael, Nothing goes right for him.

One thing I notice with 4 and now 5 is that things always seem to get complicated for the characters.

I wish I could pick up people that I have knocked out as Trevor, Then I could put them in the back of a pick up and send them to the cultists.

I wonder if we will see any other characters from GTA IV, I have seen 2 so far.
01:18pm 20/09/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21132 posts
01:47pm 20/09/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1515 posts
Oh man - every minute that I'm not playing this game is basically the worst minute of my life.
03:01pm 20/09/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2080 posts
I'm enjoying the game but f*** man my eyes!
I can not handle s***** AA and sub 60fps games anymore, I physically cant sit there watching it.
The game itself is awesome, but I'll never get through most of it until a PC release.
05:18pm 20/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10518 posts
Yeah loving it but I also can't stand the seriously bad frames especially when driving and the jaggys everywhere. I put up with it but would love a pc vers.
05:33pm 20/09/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1461 posts
Just picked this up this arvo.
Probably just spend the evening random exploring
05:57pm 20/09/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
23415 posts
/waits patiently
06:04pm 20/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14336 posts

I can not handle s***** AA and sub 60fps games anymore, I physically cant sit there watching it.

Sucks to be deficient is skills man, man up and start playing.
06:31pm 20/09/13 Permalink
Mo
USA
89 posts
Have mate in the u.s and he was saying how there was massive lines of people waiting to get this game. There was even one case where 3 people where arrested for impersonating police officers to get to the from of the line.
Which is why i had a little laugh to myself when i was at big W yesterday and i saw about 20 copies of the game just sitting on the shelf. No lines no crazies pretending to be police.
But i think i 'll wait until the ps4 comes out. As console is the only way to play this game, it's just made for it. it baffles me as to why anyone would play this game on P.C
06:32pm 20/09/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10519 posts
As console is the only way to play this game, it's just made for it. it baffles me as to why anyone would play this game on P.C

PC is hooked up to TV and I have a controller for it?
06:41pm 20/09/13 Permalink
Mo
USA
92 posts
PC is hooked up to TV and I have a controller for it?

Well that's one way around it i suppose. I think GTA is one of the few games that would go all right on a big screen while using mouse etc.
06:50pm 20/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
152 posts
Poor Michael, Nothing goes right for him.One thing I notice with 4 and now 5 is that things always seem to get complicated for the characters. I wish I could pick up people that I have knocked out as Trevor, Then I could put them in the back of a pick up and send them to the cultists.I wonder if we will see any other characters from GTA IV, I have seen 2 so far.

Did you pick up on the Niko reference that someone said? I was all like "OHHHHHHHH"
07:09pm 20/09/13 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1969 posts
Watching the shooting of the gun out of the car on the Conan vid though looked painful, even more painful when he got his web designer to press it for me, that's where it needed a mouse :)
05:36pm 21/09/13 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1970 posts
Press it for him that should read...
05:52pm 21/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17462 posts
well this didn't take long.

Like other best-selling games today, Grand Theft Auto V trains millions of young Americans to walk into public places and shoot innocent people. It is now reported that, like the Sandy Hook shooter, Aaron Alexis immersed himself for hours at a time in this lifelike virtual reality of violence.

also, i love this gem later in the article.

Players get rewarded for being evil and breaking the law in a world more realistic and more adrenaline-fueled than reality.

last edited by ravn0s at 20:02:37 21/Sep/13
08:00pm 21/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
153 posts
Media. Lol. Got some really really bad frame rates while in the hovercraft, game felt like it was going to crash. Annoys me. If it were PC I'd just reduce the graphics a bit, but you can't on 360. ARGHHHHHH.
08:17pm 21/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14343 posts

Players get rewarded for being evil and breaking the law in a world more realistic and more adrenaline-fueled than reality.

Damn reality for not being realistic enough, it needs better graphics I think, or a higher FPS.

I seem to remember dieing, a lot, the last time I played the game. Seems to me the game teaches an awful lot of 'Do bad s*** and get owned' with a spattering of rewards when you don't die..
08:18pm 21/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1633 posts
So to anyone who picked up the SE or CE; seen the black-light easter egg for/on the blueprint map?

Link in the event the embed code doesn't work

If anyone spots a decent scan or PDF copy of the black lit map (or any of the other maps actually) Please stick links in this thread!

Happy hunting!
08:52pm 21/09/13 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1971 posts
Ok that is seriously cool, stopped watching it for spoilers, even though I'm holding (and hoping) out for a PC, a literal treasure map in the GTA 5 world is one of the best collector editions add ons I've seen. Good find Mike :)
07:11am 22/09/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1532 posts
I ordered it from Video Ezy for the Xbox 360 for $66 pretty cheap hopefully it's at home when I land next Sunday
09:54am 22/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10217 posts
Hot damn, so much interesting character development, especially when you switch back to each character. I had Spoiler:
Micheal crying in his car after the wife and kids left, was really sad. Also tried jumping off a bridge to kill myself and he was at 1% health, yelled out "I can't even do this right!"
So many feels...
10:44am 22/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14344 posts
God damn it spoiler! I was thinking you going to mention another moment earlier, but noooo it was after where I'm up to. Meh, it was coming though surely.
10:56am 22/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10218 posts
God damn it spoiler! I was thinking you going to mention another moment earlier, but noooo it was after where I'm up to. Meh, it was coming though surely.
Haha sorry, though I know that feeling of wanting to click spoilers. Nice to finally have a weekend to play, can actually sit down and get through some of the story.
11:45am 22/09/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1533 posts
And video ezy just cancelled my order due to supply issues gg
12:25pm 22/09/13 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
280 posts
Does anyone know how to give the finger whilst driving when you have weapons? I tried setting my weapon to fists when I hopped in the car but whenever I press L1 it starts shooting.
01:39pm 22/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10219 posts
Does anyone know how to give the finger whilst driving when you have weapons? I tried setting my weapon to fists when I hopped in the car but whenever I press L1 it starts shooting.

I thought it was right direction on d-pad? That seemed to be social interaction when on foot. Mos grab it from Big W, they have heaps of copies and its $72.
01:47pm 22/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
156 posts
I'd like to know how to control whether to say an insult or a greeting when pressing on the right d-pad to people. 90% of the time I just burn the person and end up in a punch up hahaha.
09:01pm 22/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14348 posts
Damn it!

I stole an Infernus, modded the crap out of it ~80,000 worth and it was sweet, sweet driving. When you stop/slow down near people they say things like 'sweet ride man'.

Anyway, after fanging it around for a while I went and did a mission and ended up finishing the mission no-where near my car. So I went to the impound lot and ... nothing but this s*** car I stole ages ago..

My beautiful car, going to have to hunt for a Bergatti.
09:33pm 22/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
157 posts
Damn it!

I stole an Infernus, modded the crap out of it ~80,000 worth and it was sweet, sweet driving. When you stop/slow down near people they say things like 'sweet ride man'.

Anyway, after fanging it around for a while I went and did a mission and ended up finishing the mission no-where near my car. So I went to the impound lot and ... nothing but this s*** car I stole ages ago..

My beautiful car, going to have to hunt for a Bergatti.

There's an impound lot? Woah. I'm still so noob haha.
10:35pm 22/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10220 posts
Toll, try the character's garage, sometimes they get put there if you've put some money into custom parts.
11:18pm 22/09/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1534 posts
Hey Eorl, did you find it hard to upgrade the HDD for the PS3, I have been looking into it and seems pretty easy I can pick up a new HDD from Umart for <$100 too.

Is it really as simple as backing up and plugged in the new HDD?
02:40am 23/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1635 posts
Is it really as simple as backing up and plugged in the new HDD?

Not exactly.

I don't know about the current PS3's, but with the 'old slim' and original phatty, backup whatever you can copy from the original PS3 HDD (onto a separate USB HDD) and then unscrew the old HDD, screw in a new one and let the PS3 format it from there.

The transfer the content from the USB HDD back onto the PS3.
It doesn't work for game installs or games, but savegames and any media you've put on your PS3 it works just fine for.

(Whilst I can't recall the specifics, do NOT plug the old HDD into anything if you wish to even attempt to use it in that PS3 again (ie to recover data). I recall there being something screwey about the way the PS3s file system works and it'll rend the disk as 'blank' and requiring format when you plug it back into the PS3.
07:34am 23/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10221 posts
I have the 12GB slim which actually doesn't have an internal hard drive, just some flash memory so the upgrade was actually really easy. Just had to buy the slim HDD bracket, grabbed a 2.5" laptop HDD and slid it into the HDD slot. Turned the PS3 on and it automatically handled the process.

I hear that older versions aren't that hard either, but like Ivy said make sure you backup all your digital downloads and saves.
09:04am 23/09/13 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
3343 posts
When I'm playing it keeps saying I'm not connected to the online service. I can't take selfies :(

I'm on the xbox 360 and I'm signed into live and on the internets. Not sure whats going on. Any ideas?

Also regarding cars, I have read a heap of complaints about people losing cars. I would recommend modding the s*** out of the cars that come with the characters because you never lose them, and even though they aren't the best cars in the game its still useful rocking up to missions will bulletproof tyres and armour (and turbo, everything needs a turbo).
09:51am 23/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2686 posts
From what i've read social club services are up and down, hopefully they iron out all the issues for when GTA:O releases.

I've had some great moments playing, Sometimes i'll switch to Trevor just to see the crazy moments hes getting himself into, highlights being the waking up drunk on the mountain, and getting kicked out of a strip club in his undies.

The tattoos available to Trevor also make me laugh and I love going out of my way to increase his bogan-ness as much as possible by only ever buying clothes for him at the discount shops.

Bit concerned with what i'll end up doing once the story mode is finished, generating income is a bit annoying outside of large heists so I have no f*****g idea how i'm going ot afford to be able to buy the more expensive properties.

Also spent a lot of time on the weekend watching as much as I could on the in game televisions.

Blaine County Radio is by far the best radio station, oh and Beyond Insemination with Danny Mcbride is the most hilarious s*** recorded for the series ever ever.

Also, IVY_Mike... photoset to map with secrets - http://m.imgur.com/a/IvNLZ
10:21am 23/09/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1476 posts
Just up to Trevor now. Slow progress with limited play time. When does GTA 5 go online? Can't wait for it.
Is there any way to turn down the sensitivity of vehicles but keep aiming as is? Because goddamn the cars have way too much nonlinearity and even the planes elevator does too. And yet aiming is a bit sluggish
04:26pm 23/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17463 posts
06:39pm 23/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2687 posts
Lighting gas trails with the back fire from cars is f*****g cool as s***.
07:10pm 23/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1411 posts
@ Mephz - I also find the handling a bit crap at times, I think they went a bit too Arcade with it this time.

I love using the "gas can". I knock some dude out then pour fuel over him and then light it.

There is a way to use a M+KB with your consoles but you need a XCM adapter. I have an adapter which lets me use my 360 controller on the PS3. Its probably not worth getting unless you use your PS3 a lot and can not wait for the PC version of GTA V.

http://xcm.cc/xfps_rateup_adapter_ii_advanced.htm
09:11pm 23/09/13 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
2192 posts
I picked this up on the weekend, ended up playing all weekend! At first I wasn't impressed, seemed like old GTA, but then I got into the story-mode missions and it's f*****g awesome.

Spoiler:
I'm only up to Michael's family leaving
, having read this thread seems like there's a bucketload more cool stuff to discover!

Edit: I've added spoiler tags, but this bit had already been spoiled in a few posts further up! Plus it's only at the beginning.
10:03pm 23/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
158 posts
Thanks for the spoiler Viper. For f*** sake...
10:13pm 23/09/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
23437 posts
Played this a bit (like an hour) at my brother's place on PS3.

/waits patiently for PC version
10:48pm 23/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
161 posts
I must be playing way too slow then I guess haha. Can only play after work, and I'm usually doing other stuff first. Spent all tonight studying. I'll get about one mission done and then start falling asleep on the couch. It's not the games fault though, I'm just prone to falling asleep. I fell asleep at a party on saturday and woke up in the middle of the road glad wrapped to a chair.
12:25am 24/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10223 posts
Haha Rav, that video is awesome. I love some of these small changes they've done like being able to tow other cars, adds for some great fun.
08:20am 24/09/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1483 posts
Finally able to join the R* social club group. If anyone else has been waiting the service is back up (PSN at least)
09:02am 24/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14349 posts
Anyone been doing stockmarket stuff without doing Lester missions?
09:40am 24/09/13 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8283 posts
I'm finding the game very hard.

I'm trying the first race at my first freaks and geeks meeting. About 20 runs in now and still can't do it. If I do get to the lead one of those fast moving lightpoles jumps in to the middle of the road and takes me out then f*** everyone passes me and it's the end of the race :(

Before I started the race I was struggling to find things to do. I can see my massive list of available missions but not sure how to start them.

Going to read the instructions before going back to it.

I didn't like/play GTA 3 or 4 so i'm just a bit lost.
02:32pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10229 posts
I do agree Nats, the difficulty is somewhat higher than previous titles but that might just be an evolution of the game and its design. I have also noticed death is way more common in GTA 5 compared to previous iterations, something that I'm okay with majority of the time but other times gets a bit annoying.
02:33pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21139 posts
Yeah, that first race took me a few goes to get as well, but good use of Franklins special ability to slow down time and take crazy corners at full speed got me there in the end. When I first started using his special I thought it was like you activate it then you use it till it runs out, I didn't realise you could switch it on and off and use it in little bursts, that made it much easier.
02:46pm 24/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2689 posts
I'm trying the first race at my first freaks and geeks meeting. About 20 runs in now and still can't do it. If I do get to the lead one of those fast moving lightpoles jumps in to the middle of the road and takes me out then f*** everyone passes me and it's the end of the race :(

If racing with franklin, you can press in both thumb sticks to slow down time, you will find all races a lot easier with this in mind

Before I started the race I was struggling to find things to do. I can see my massive list of available missions but not sure how to start them.

You can select places on the map and set a way point, do so then follow the gps marking to the destination, once there the mission will start (with a cut scene usually). Some places you need to go in doors, or stand near a little yellow marker on the ground.
02:47pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10231 posts
Anyone been doing stockmarket stuff without doing Lester missions?

Its been a bit hard with BAWSAQ relying on Rockstar servers, which have been up and down since launch due to the demand. The offline one though, is a little bit easier to game though its proving to be a bit of a workout just to get some markets shifting. I've found insurance companies are the easiest to increase by just going on rampages, but it can be a bit tiresome. Guess we'll see more in-depth stuff once online comes out and how the online market reacts.
03:30pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21140 posts
Do you have to sign in to the social club stuff somewhere? I couldn't find anywhere to sign up in game or set it up, so how do I join the Ausgamers club thing?
03:32pm 24/09/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2708 posts
its online at http://www.rockstargames.com/ sign up there to the social club and link your psn or XB id, u will be able to search for the ausgamers crew

its just on the website at the moment as far as i know, id think that we should be able to join/manage crews in game once gta online is released next week
03:49pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
2193 posts
Yeah it took me a few goes to not be last in that race, I still haven't won it, I just couldn't get round sharp corners at speed. I didn't think about trying Franklin's special ability during, I'll try that.

Also, it took me a while to realise you can hit A in menu mode to browse the map, then you can drop waypoints to guide you to places to pick up missions. The missions will be the letter of the persons name or the ?. I didn't play GTA 4 much and don't play Xbox often!

I've just been playing as Michael and Franklin mostly, does the story just progress for all characters regardless? Once you get past the freaks and geeks missions it seems there's not many on offer? Unless you buy places and do smuggling runs?
06:31pm 24/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17467 posts
so it looks like gta online may have microtransactions.
07:35pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1486 posts
Whaaaat? Surely hope not, not for anything of any consequence. Outfits/Aesthetics sure no worries.
07:51pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Ospi
Brisbane, Queensland
397 posts
My PS3 is shutting itself off ususally every 30 mins or so but sometimes instantly on startup (beeps a few times, turns off and then flashes red). Thought it might be overheating but that wouldn't explain startup issues or the fact it will run for another period of time straight away afterwards. Anyone have ideas what the issue may be?
08:46pm 24/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17468 posts
Whaaaat? Surely hope not, not for anything of any consequence. Outfits/Aesthetics sure no worries.

it looks like you may be able to buy in game money
09:26pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
447 posts
Finally got my recently bought 360 operational with the game.

Im struggling to enjoy my experience so far. The story is pretty cool and all, but there are too many frame dips and aiming with a controller is an absolute joke. I reckon it'd be best if I just watched someone play through the game for me.

I mean seriously, doesn't anyone else feel like your eyes are developing cancer playing a game at <30 frames.
09:43pm 24/09/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2710 posts
aiming with the controller does suck balls, i try to just auto aim while shooting people

other things i dont like about the game are

loosing cars that ive spent money modding, they seem to go to the impound like once then never again after that. but some s*** heap that i don't even remember driving will be there

the cars are a little too grippy i think, needs more burnouts

thats about it really, i finished the main story line and its probably the best single player game ive ever played. the story played out like a movie
10:30pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2083 posts
loosing cars that ive spent money modding, they seem to go to the impound like once then never again after that. but some s*** heap that i don't even remember driving will be there

derrp that's maybe because you steal too many cars? call me stupid but it is just on ps3 and xbox yeah?
I haven't lost one car, but then again I'm not stupid.
F*** I love lighting gas trails on fire, that s*** is boss. so is the whole zoom out thing they do when changing toons, cool s***.
10:35pm 24/09/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2711 posts
didnt know you could steal too many cars in a game called grand theft auto
10:38pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
164 posts
Finally got my recently bought 360 operational with the game.

Im struggling to enjoy my experience so far. The story is pretty cool and all, but there are too many frame dips and aiming with a controller is an absolute joke. I reckon it'd be best if I just watched someone play through the game for me.

I mean seriously, doesn't anyone else feel like your eyes are developing cancer playing a game at <30 frames.

I feel the same way. Pisses me off that a game with such crappy frame rates still got rated so high. I'd rather they gave me the option to reduce some of the pretty visuals in order to have the game not suddenly lag up and ruin my experience. Gameplay over visuals. I know it's an 8 year old console, which is why they shouldn't have released the game until the PS4, xbox one and PC release if it can't handle the console. Buuuuut, they're still make more money on double dippers anyway, so they couldn't give a damn...
10:40pm 24/09/13 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
2195 posts
I noticed the poor graphics quality compared to PC, but I'm not getting any major lag or clipping issues, how old are your Xbox's?
01:12am 25/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10233 posts
I'm on PS3 and it seems like the frame dips and clipping isn't as big of an issue compared to 360. I do feel a bit sluggish with the graphics, but I couldn't wait for the PC version so not really bothered. Its still a great experience that only GTA could offer, and so getting it now with Online coming next week I have no real qualms.

I do agree that controller aiming is terrible. You can't be accurate because it just sweeps across the screen, has really frustrated me in some missions because I'll be aiming for a headshot and then try to move the reticle and it sweeps across completely missing the target. I do not know how people do it for BF and CoD but by god is it terrible.
07:55am 25/09/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2690 posts
Yeah i'm on PS3 aswell, I've never seen clipping, but frame rate dips I get, mostly noticeable when im on water.
07:57am 25/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14358 posts
I think it was digital foundry that did an analysis on FPS through the game, they had each system linked up to a device that measures frame rate and had it running and collecting data producing graphs in realtime.

They found the game play almost solidly at 30fps, only dipping below when pretty heavy intense stuff was happening.

For a game of this magnitude and graphic fidelity running on a 360/PS3 and to run at an almost constant 30fps, that is magic.

You guys aren't 'pro' enough if you can't adapt down from 60fps to 30fps, you still have a lot of gaming ahead of you before you master that skill..

09:50am 25/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14359 posts
Fidelity is totally the wrong word :(
09:51am 25/09/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
94 posts
It's a 'skill' that more and more console owners will endure as the years go by. Consoles used to be on par with the best PC around at the time (give or take) but this time they're picking something very midrange.
10:08am 25/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10239 posts
Got my blimp DLC from D*** Smith after a bit of a kerfuffle on Tuesday last week, boy is it fun putting a character in the blimp and then switching to another to blow the blimp up. This game is just too much fun.
12:53pm 25/09/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1487 posts
The console stick aiming is.bloody woeful because some dropkick sugermonkey at R* though non-linear sensitivity would be a marvellous idea for aiming. It is not. You move the sticks a little bit and.barely anything happens so you move them a bit more and the scanning speed increases. It's woeful. If you srt the sensitivity right up small movement on the stick is great but heaven forbid if you push the stick half a mil. Too far you basically do a 360... Set the sensitivty down and you can fine aim really well SLOWLY but if you need to move the crosshair quickly a cm or so (say from chest to head or the sane distance horizontally to hit a target) you get screwed by the sudden super sensitivity to edges of.the sticks and the non-linear curve is really, really steep.

In short, f*** non-linear aiming curves
03:07pm 25/09/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21143 posts
If you're getting clipping on XBox, make sure you're not running the play disc off the hard drive. If you're playing a dodgy version and its all on your hard drive, well, sucks to be you.
05:01pm 25/09/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14365 posts
I noticed last night a got a texture pop-in. 1 haha..

Game is good fun. It might even temp me to fire up a Gold Account for multiplayer. Time to sign up a new name..
05:48pm 25/09/13 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
2196 posts
Yeah I've really struggled with the console stick aiming, I don't play the Xbox often so am not used to it at all, I just use the tap to auto aim most of the time. The Trevor hunting mission shooting car tires was a nightmare.
07:03pm 25/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10242 posts
I've been lucky in that I just finished The Last of Us right before GTA 5 came out, so had some practice. Only problem is the aiming in Last of Us is so much better compared to this.
07:42pm 25/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
166 posts
I'm not actually sure how old my console is to be honest. I'd say about 5 years. Shouldn't matter I would've thought. I'm not a heavy console user usually. Most the time it sits packed away because I'm on the PC. I had a pop in last night which was real bad. In a cop chase driving down some long stretch at high speeds from the police, I swerved onto the footpath to dodge a car only for a small booth to suddenly load and pop up in front of my car causing me to smash into it sending me out the front of my car. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. I haven't installed the play disc because somebody said that causes pop ins, but I'm still getting them. Ah well, still having a lot of fun on this. Other than the frame drops and pop ins, this game is amazing :)
09:18pm 25/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10247 posts
02:18pm 26/09/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1412 posts
I see Trevor has been prostituting himself for money to build his empire, Eorl.

I have had a couple of bad texture pop ins.

I wish all convenience stores and bottle shops were listed on the map, Its hard for Franklin to make any cash for me. There needs to be more places to rob and safes in the shops you can rob. If you look in the back of the convenience stores, they do have safes.

I have lost about 70k just dieing stupidly as Franklin.

The sniper rifles need a night vision scope so I can do the hunting thing at night.

I also wish that cops would not be called for simple fist fights, It ruins my fun. Cops do nothing when I am under attack unless one happens to be standing near by.
08:52pm 26/09/13 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1972 posts

The last one cracked me up :)
08:56am 27/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
168 posts
I see Trevor has been prostituting himself for money to build his empire, Eorl.I have had a couple of bad texture pop ins.I wish all convenience stores and bottle shops were listed on the map, Its hard for Franklin to make any cash for me. There needs to be more places to rob and safes in the shops you can rob. If you look in the back of the convenience stores, they do have safes.I have lost about 70k just dieing stupidly as Franklin.The sniper rifles need a night vision scope so I can do the hunting thing at night.I also wish that cops would not be called for simple fist fights, It ruins my fun. Cops do nothing when I am under attack unless one happens to be standing near by.

90% of my cop chases are because I punch someone in the face who says something rude to me hahaha. It gets a bit annoying sometimes.
01:27pm 28/09/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1540 posts
Finally got my hands on GTA 4, I had my Xbox vertical and the install was taking 1mb / 10sec so I stopped it and placed the console horizontal and it installed within 15minutes.

The game is amazing, I was in the US for the last month when I was in front of the Chinese Theater some Halo wannabe photo people ripped me off so the first thing I did was drive to the Chinese Theater in GTA 5 and knock that mother f***** out lol.
03:49am 30/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10266 posts
Grand Theft Auto: Online launches tomorrow, going to be awesomeeee. Time to buckle up and take down some banks with the AG crew. Make sure you've joined up to make it easier to find people: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/ausgamers
08:02am 30/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
170 posts
Grand Theft Auto: Online launches tomorrow, going to be awesomeeee. Time to buckle up and take down some banks with the AG crew. Make sure you've joined up to make it easier to find people: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/ausgamers

Woooooooooooooo. So excited haha. I've joined a crew with a couple of steam friends I used to play san andreas multiplayer with for a good few years. Should be good :)
05:46pm 30/09/13 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
285 posts
Is the crew 360 or PS3?
06:04pm 30/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17490 posts
this is pretty badass

07:40pm 30/09/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10271 posts
Is the crew 360 or PS3?

At the moment anyone can jump in, even PC hopefuls. I'm not exactly sure how Online is going to work, so I presume the crew will just rank up by both PS3 and X360 players.

Just finished the single-player, one of the greatest games ever. Can see myself picking it up and just hooning around, so much stuff still to do.
08:04pm 30/09/13 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
17493 posts
another mythbusters vid

10:51pm 30/09/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
172 posts
this is pretty badass

That's epic! He did it in two different chases, but still. So cool :)
11:04pm 30/09/13 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1975 posts
So if this can be answered with out spoilers, what's the game like after you finish the story and all its missions? Can you still swap from all 3 characters? Is there worthy goals to do after the credits?

As I found GTA IVs single player game dropped in wanting me to return because literally all there was left to do was shoot pigeons and go bowling with Roman. It appears there's a massive world to explore and find things to do, but so did GTA IV, so hopefully not :)
06:03am 01/10/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2694 posts
So if this can be answered with out spoilers, what's the game like after you finish the story and all its missions? Can you still swap from all 3 characters? Is there worthy goals to do after the credits?

Yes and Yes,

I don't really want to talk about your first question, but as for your second, it depends how you play the game, i didn't do any of the races so when the game finished I had all those to complete, secondly random events still happen so you can drive around and partake in those when they appear, thirdly you can re-do any in game mission at any time if that floats your boat.
08:10am 01/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10274 posts
GTA: Online hits PS3 and Xbox 360 sometime around 9PM. Time for a late night?
10:38am 01/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10284 posts
And it is up! Though intermittent, the servers seem to be getting smashed. I was able to create my gangster character, very cool way of making one by moulding their lifestyle.
09:21pm 01/10/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
183 posts
My mates saying it's not working on his ps3. I havent set my xbox up again yet. It's still in it's carry bag haha.
10:16pm 01/10/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1528 posts
Another bungled launch @_@ Can't even save character lol
10:46pm 01/10/13 Permalink
Brendo Unchained
Sydney, New South Wales
2 posts
This game is fantastic, I finished it but I'll definitely play it again at some point... it has such an insane amount of content.
11:59pm 01/10/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21151 posts
I managed to create a character, but couldn't actually join the server, kept timing out.

Oh well, hopefully its sorted out by the weekend.
12:05am 02/10/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1420 posts
I also had server issues, so much for a launch. I do not like the character creator, They tried too hard with it.
01:16am 02/10/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
184 posts
I couldn't sign up to Xbox Live Gold through the console. Just ordered it from ozgameshop for $30 cheaper hahaha. Spent the night trying to fix the buzzing sound coming from my subwoofer. Seems to be caused by the TV coaxial cable. Annoying.
01:17am 02/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1490 posts
Haven't been able to do anything in GTA:O I just get 'failed to host an online session' after it tries to join for a ~20seconds. BAWSAQ market also down now and most of single player money tied up in that market :/ had to do underwater sonar property to get cash for gold heist :/
09:32am 02/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10288 posts
Yeah seems to be pretty boned for PS3, though reports coming through that 360 players can get slightly into the online mode.
10:14am 02/10/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1643 posts
Had a crack at getting into GTA:O.

Created a Character and saved it, couldn't connect to an online game (nor create one) Started a 'solo play' Online game, to get picked up at the airport by Lamar, handed a pistol, almost start a race, and then 'boom' 'unable to connect to GTA:O'

Not sure if SEN bein 'awesome' as always, or just GTA:O getting smashed.
Have had access to BAWSAQ the entire time, only time I've not I wasn't signed into SEN.

(PS3ist if not already obvious)
01:13pm 02/10/13 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
575 posts
They will sort it out soon. Joined Ausgamers squad, see you all online soon.
08:58pm 02/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10295 posts
And it is up on PS3! Got my character sorted and tried out the tutorial racing mission, was awesome. It seems they've reduced the graphics a bit in Online to compensate for player count, few pop-ins but nothing big. Will have to set up a crew-only lobby tomorrow night for all AG/QGL guys and gals to join.

On a side note, no way has Rockstar gone to all this trouble just for current-gen. So many angles to show off the textures and quality for a sub-par version has me thinking next-gen is right around the corner.
11:05pm 02/10/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1422 posts
I might have a go at it again tonight, They really need a proper character creator though.
11:22pm 02/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1498 posts
Well i was able to do first race with... Nobody.. then I was stuck with a world going in the background and a half faded screen. Never recovered so I quit and tried to launch from story mode. Instead of failed to.host now you just get timed out errors.
Trying to reload into online mode from first load screen again.

And i just got timed out again. Fail
11:38pm 02/10/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21153 posts
How volatile is BAWSAQ? Do the prices change radically and quickly to reflect what players are currently doing, or is it more averaged out over time? I've been too scared to drop any money in it cos I got nfi that things are going to do on it.
11:48pm 02/10/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
188 posts
Made my character. Not a fan of the character creator. Not enough freedom of choice. Didn't make much sense. Got through the painful intro video which showed lots of different camera angles of the car I'm in driving to a carpark. Never seen so many pop in visuals in a game EVER. Now apparently I'm supposed to be doing a race and it's hung saying "Launching session"

So far absolutely hating this piss poor effort of a multiplayer gamemode. Signed back up to Xbox Gold for this...
12:02am 03/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1499 posts
Anyone struggling to get on. Go to online solo mode. Complete the tutorial stuff up until you get jobs/blue markers on minimap then just search for.games through your phone. The online world/city is pointless from.what I've found. Everyone ignores job invites and everytime you get one its just the computer basically offering a.job and you end up trying to.invite people pointlessly.
Just do random jobs via.the phone and then even that is hit/miss whether anything will connect or.have you stuck at 'loading' and force you to shut the gane down.

GTA:O as it stands is basically just a series of minigames. Deathmatch is kinda fun. Definitely pays to play deathmatch more strategically than run and gun.
It'll be fun to mindlessly play but don't expect anything great out of GTA:O from what I've seen the last few hours
08:57am 03/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1500 posts
Other tip would be don't load directly into GTA:O load your story mode and then try to access GTA:O. Loading directly in if.it.fails will net you with one of.those alert screens which says press x to continue.. but nothing will happen, forcing you to reload.the game again. If you load story first at least you get booted back to that.

All in all as a series of minigames its a but disappointing
09:00am 03/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1501 posts
Oh I forgot to mention you will randomly lose cash you put in the bank.. and now it seems my entire character has been deleted or no longer exists on the servers.
Check it out if you are interested to see a bit.of.the multiplayer but otherwise forget it for awhile.
Seems to.suffer the same issue as GTA IV online too. You'll be playing p2p and it'll be American hosts. Lag seems okay unless you are up against the host.
Shame it doesn't try to find local hosts
09:06am 03/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10300 posts
I got into Online successfully for a bit this morning, was somewhat interesting. Things were a bit chaotic but my main complaint so far is that jobs don't actually happen in the seamless world, instead happen in instances so it kind of loses the whole appeal of players intercepting you.

Otherwise, it was fun for what little time I had. Frame rate was actually surprisingly better than the single-player, and pop-ins weren't that bad (PS3). Make sure you bank your money or else you will lose it quickly from everyone shooting you. If you have trouble with getting ganked so often, just turn passive mode on and you should be sweet. Held up a store with a random guy, was heaps fun and we had to jump in a getaway car with the cops on our tail, was hilarious. Keen to have our crew playing.
09:49am 03/10/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2712 posts
ahh ffs!

my s*** still wont work! im on ps3 also. tried playing solo mode etc. and nothing hopefully comes good by tonight
11:32am 03/10/13 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
576 posts
Patched up ready to go, joined the Crew.

Knew thee online would be buggy at the start, but that's no big deal.
11:47am 03/10/13 Permalink
one point twenty one
Gold Coast, Queensland
46 posts
I had invested all my cash into Tinkle (listed on the online-linked BAQSAW) before online update and just had to sell all to make a 40% profit. Forgot to do that before update, BAM, -10% return thanks to it becoming linked to everyone :(
01:13pm 03/10/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1646 posts
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned how expensive the Online modes purchase prices are.

e.g. Go to Ammunation hoping to add the 'extended mag' to the starting Pistol. It's ~$9200 (instead of ~$300 in Story mode).
I don't mind coz on some level it will add some longevity to the game, but its a tad s*** that it's one price for the story mode, and another entirely in the Online mode.

My first GTA:O character 'disappeared' (which is annoying coz I went through and tailored the character to kinda look like me). The Random character it dumped me with when I did connect looks very alien, but I've now racked up a number of purchases so I'm probably gonna stick with him for the moment.

The levels of retardation in other GTA:O players is not much of a surprise (walk up to clothes store to find one guy running around on the roof gunning new players down). And my housemate put it best listening to the 'online voice chat'; "What are most PS3 users using for a microphone... a potato?"

I've not figured out how the muting works for GTA:O yet, but that's next I think. It's not terrific (I do see the potential for an awesome multiplayer experience there) but it's not super s*** either.

TL:DR: I was 'ok' playing my console game on a console, but now that GTA:O is 'live' I REALLY want to be playing this on PC.
05:46pm 03/10/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21159 posts
Sounds like playing it with a crew of people you know instead of random retards is the way to go
05:59pm 03/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10306 posts
The pricings are higher, but you earn way more money than in single-player. PlayStation 3 seems to be working well now, was on for a good two hours or so. Had some great moments, one in particular where a guy was holding up a store so ran in and pumped a shotgun in his face, proceeded to take the cash from the retailer before bolting with cops on my tail.

I'm liking it so far, lot of fun though the amount of mic spammers is horrendous. Some eight year old who probably shouldn't have the game was screaming commands in the mic and that got annoying fast so muted him and also proceeded to kill his character multiple times. I'm not exactly sure how you qualify as being a "bad player" but I like the idea of putting them in their own matchmaking to keep everyone else happy.

Only problem I have is the jobs are instanced, but that kind of makes sense considering you wouldn't want your race interrupted or bank heist stolen (though that would kind of be cool to have a cops/robber style for bank heists). Should get the PS3 players going for a match soon, do a last stand or race.
06:02pm 03/10/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1535 posts
Still a total f*****g write-off on 360...
06:09pm 03/10/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1647 posts
Still a total f*****g write-off on 360...

Yeah, that'd bug me if I had to pay for an online subscription to play it.
07:19pm 03/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10307 posts
Okay, this is definitely a lot of fun. Just had a brawl with five random guys, fisticuffs in a busy street dodging traffic, was fun to be had. Also did some impromptu racing which was an awesome addition, no loading screens just drag racing to a point and the ability to challenge people to 1v1 deathmatches is a really nice option.
09:51pm 03/10/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2696 posts
Some eight year old who probably shouldn't have the game was screaming commands in the mic and that got annoying fast so muted him and also proceeded to kill his character multiple times

OMGZ how do you mute, i ended up in a map full of people I couldn't understand, they were being incredibly social but the noise was booming through my TV late at night and it was god awful.

I've had some great moments, group of us having a shoot out in the street then some guy flys a helicopter on top of us and goes out in a blaze of glory.

The Team Death Match last man standing often doesn't feel like playing, games take longer to load and setup then they do to play.
08:15am 04/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10310 posts
Hold select on PS3, should be an option to mute everyone or let only your crew talk. Not sure what it is in 360 but should be similar.
08:47am 04/10/13 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
577 posts
So i joined Ausgamers Crew, hooked up with 1 run around a bit.

How can I tell players that are not in my crew, drove up to one to give him a lift and he shot me :(

Then saw someone else on a motorbike and drove over him to find out it was one of my guys in the crew..

I'm so bad at this game.
09:32am 04/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1509 posts
I am just getting 'cloud servers unavailable' this morning, anyone else with this problem?
Might be my upload link being flooded due to youtube upload however
09:36am 04/10/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2697 posts
How can I tell players that are not in my crew, drove up to one to give him a lift and he shot me :(

Then saw someone else on a motorbike and drove over him to find out it was one of my guys in the crew..

I can't remember exact details bu they will be a different colour on the map, and there name will have a crew tag on leader boards.

Even if in your crew assume everyone is going to kill you.
09:41am 04/10/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2713 posts
played for a few hrs last night and it was pretty awesome!
joining a room full of random kids is no good at all tho,

played a few missions with some friends off my psn list and that was really sick! when everyone has mics and is trying to do the missions properly i was loving it!

tips!
- dont die too much/keep re trying missions or it will drain all your cash
- watch out for a******* camping above LS customs tryna steal your ride

what missions are you guys doing to get big$$$ at the mo the max i get for a mission is like 5k
09:49am 04/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10313 posts
Crew members will be blue on your minimap, hit down on the d-pad to bring up a bigger map to help.

I've found some of the deathmatch missions can give the most cash, but really it depends on how many people you have. Apparently having crew members increases the reward limit so we should probably get that sorted. If anyone is on PS3 add frodzone and we shall cause some mayhem.
09:56am 04/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1512 posts
Eugh.
Character has been deleted from the servers AGAIN.
So over doing the tutorial for the 5th time with all its unskippable bulls*** cutscenes.
10:20am 04/10/13 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
582 posts
Supreme, you jumped in my car before disconnecting.

Keato
10:36am 04/10/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2714 posts
ah yeah i remember that keato i got a invite for a mission and bailed
sry mang we will loot some stores next time haha

im gonna jump on again later this arv or tonight

Eugh.
Character has been deleted from the servers AGAIN.
So over doing the tutorial for the 5th time with all its unskippable bulls*** cutscenes.

you on xb or ps3? it would really give me the s**** to start again
10:56am 04/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10315 posts
It seems like the cloud servers went down for a bit, but people are reporting that their character has returned with full cash/stats back in place.
11:08am 04/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1513 posts
Ps3. Had to start a new char in slot #2 . It.had not.brought.my first char.back from deletion city by the time I managed to do tutorial again (5th time if not.more) and leave for work
11:58am 04/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10324 posts
I'm so sorry Capt Hindsight! I wasn't suppose to kill you when we were holding that store up, tried to shoot in the air and it ended up meleeing you :(

Also Mongie and the other AUSG crew, that was some awesome matches. Got totally screwed up at the start in that Coupe race, but came 5th! And that jetski race was really difficult, waves were harsh.
05:30pm 04/10/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
190 posts
Still haven't been brave enough to try this again, does it work now?
08:56pm 04/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10326 posts
Still haven't been brave enough to try this again, does it work now?

Yeah, at least for PlayStation 3. Just received a title update as well, everything is really smooth now.
09:11pm 04/10/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
192 posts
Yeah, at least for PlayStation 3. Just received a title update as well, everything is really smooth now.

I'm on 360, but I'll give it a shot again anyways and let you know how it goes.
09:16pm 04/10/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
193 posts
Still doesn't work. Keeps hanging on the first race while waiting for players. Will have to wait for a patch. Annoying as s*** :/
10:14pm 04/10/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2698 posts
Also Mongie and the other AUSG crew, that was some awesome matches. Got totally screwed up at the start in that Coupe race, but came 5th! And that jetski race was really difficult, waves were harsh.

HA! that was me, yeah the coupe race was a cluster f***, jetski races are a pinch, gotta just tap break and keep in control.
10:40pm 04/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10327 posts
HA! that was me, yeah the coupe race was a cluster f***, jetski races are a pinch, gotta just tap break and keep in control.
Yeah I kind of got boned at the start because someone tapped me on the side, sent me spinning into everyone else. Choosing Coupe cars was probably not the best for that race track, needed something more grippier.
11:00pm 04/10/13 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
8287 posts
I followed cops chasing a jeep. 3 cop cars chased this jeep for ages. Eventually the jeep crashes and there's a shoot out. The cops then turn around and start shooting at me. WTF?
09:22pm 06/10/13 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
2159 posts
how to join ausgamers crew?

edit: nevermind, got it.
10:02pm 06/10/13 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1978 posts
Heh, cute

11:55pm 06/10/13 Permalink
McNamara
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
Has anyone had problems loading this? My Xbox 360 is only about 12 months old (I took ages on deciding which console to go to next) and for some reason both GTA IV and V lock up on the 'you aren't signed in/ would you like to sign in now) screen. I've followed all the advice I have seen online ( from typical IT 'turn it off and on' to deleting other profiles on my xbox) but still to no avail.

I have lent it to a mate to see if it works on his...
04:36am 07/10/13 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
583 posts
The cops then turn around and start shooting at me. WTF?

Dodgy looking mofo.
10:32am 07/10/13 Permalink
supreme
Brisbane, Queensland
2715 posts
tip

the easiest way that i have found to earn money is doing the survival mode, get to level 9 and you get around 18 - 20k each.
only thing is you have to level up a bit before you unlock survival mode, someone invited me so still not sure when its unlocked
11:02am 07/10/13 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
6676 posts
How far into the game before it becomes good? Just got michael and already starting to get bored. Online better than story mode?
01:26pm 07/10/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2085 posts
Unlock Trevor then decide damo. dude turns the story upside down, in an awesome redneck bikie murdering kinda way.
tbh I found Michael a pretty unlikable character. He keeps reminding me of a washed up Bruce Willis, or just Bruce Willis depending on how you look at it.
07:20pm 07/10/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21166 posts
Still boned on 360, I can get into sessions, but every time I try and join a job I time out while its loading and get booted
08:42pm 07/10/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1546 posts
Trevor is a classic!

Spoiler:
When he gives Franklins aunty a handful of cash and tells her to buy something nice, she counts it and it's only $7 and Trevor just flips telling her something nice not expensive and kicks her into the house lol
10:47pm 07/10/13 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
2205 posts
So can people on 360 and PS3 play together or is it restricted?
11:39pm 07/10/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
197 posts
Trevor is a classic!Spoiler:When he gives Franklins aunty a handful of cash and tells her to buy something nice, she counts it and it's only $7 and Trevor just flips telling her something nice not expensive and kicks her into the house lol

That bit's a crack up. First laugh out loud moment in the story mode for me.
12:57am 08/10/13 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2687 posts
05:59pm 10/10/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21172 posts
I'm lagging behind in the single player, just recently got Trevor, but I loved the bit when

Spoiler:
He has the meeting with the chinese and finds out they're going with the other supplier, and he drives off to kill them all, and theres some soppy song on the radio and hes like NO! THIS MUSIC IS ALL F*****G WRONG! Cracked me up
06:09pm 10/10/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1550 posts
Not really a spoiler but when I switched to Trevor the other day he was spooning his friends cousin in bed and there was a Axe stuck in the door, looked like a brutal rape scene rofl
08:08pm 10/10/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
208 posts

God I need to get online and do this :O
10:28pm 10/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1528 posts
What... The f*** have they done to cops in online mode... They are now just terminators search and destroy. They will home straight to you no matter what now. Cop cars all have super turbo ultra nitro boost and will catch any car flat out. Quite lame now
07:28pm 11/10/13 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
259 posts
Best khel
09:01pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
2088 posts
Why the f*** do you even play the game mephz? all you do is f*****g cry about everything in it.
10:24pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
217 posts
I played online yesterday with a couple of friends. We all jumped on headsets and did some races and death matches and stuff. Really enjoyed it :) They're real high ranks though. I'm about rank 8 now I think it was.
12:38am 15/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
265 posts
What... The f*** have they done to cops in online mode... They are now just terminators search and destroy. They will home straight to you no matter what now. Cop cars all have super turbo ultra nitro boost and will catch any car flat out. Quite lame now

Is that after you do something like, gank someone?

Eve has a setup where if you attack someone in high security space, NPC's warp in a moment later and basically one hit you. This meant a gank was always a suicide gank. People who worked out ways to avoid the npc death were banned/warned. Supposed to die after a gank.

Jea, just made me think of Eve when you said that.
03:39pm 15/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10418 posts
12:18pm 16/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1535 posts
Nice garage :D
Looks very much like the $400k garage, did you get the same one?

View from the most expensive $400k apartment:
Not really sure what I'm supposed to do with it, its three stories huge and you're forced to walk in it. :/
http://prod.cloud.rockstargames.com/ugc/gta5photo/0600/yXlgMFCYekCqPVPN2wRycQ/0_0.jpg
03:37pm 16/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10426 posts
Nah nabbed the $393k one. I did some googling and apparently the $400k view was atrocious compared to this one so no regrets there! Its a gorgeous view at night, really cool seeing everyone flying by. Is a tad large though that is for sure, but everyone is welcome to come in and look when on!

Oh, also learnt that apparently you can spike drinks in people's apartments, allowing you a way to kill them if they have a bounty and hide in their congo.
04:17pm 16/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1536 posts
nab a pic of your view, keen to see the difference.
I get two sides, the city side and the vinewood sign side. Which sides do you get?
04:33pm 16/10/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1537 posts
04:36pm 16/10/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
10427 posts
The $393k one is actually the same apartment that Rockstar had in the GTA Online gameplay trailer couple weeks back before release (at least it looks like it is). I'll take some shots when I get home though to see the difference.

04:42pm 16/10/13 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1979 posts
Fan gets his wish NY Comic Con

05:25pm 16/10/13 Permalink
Wrecktim
Perth, Western Australia
891 posts
finally got the game today. played it most of the day. pretty awesome so far.
11:33pm 23/10/13 Permalink
EBTVHD
Sydney, New South Wales
1 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Advertising
08:36pm 08/11/13 Permalink
Vinny
Adelaide, South Australia
1 posts
Haven't really given GTA V a lot of attention as of late, as my xbox live expired. I will be buying xbox live again soon and will go online to receive my stimulus package.
09:10pm 11/11/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:10pm 11/11/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.