Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Gamecube or xbox?
djgcorporation
Brisbane, Queensland
34 posts
I've come to the conclusion that PS2 is gay. Soo...i'm going to brookside tonight to buy a console. Which one should i get?

I need a good enough reason not to buy a gamecube with metroid and zelda...and i need a good enough reason not to buy xbox with dvd/filespace and Halo.

Any one know anything, or have experience with them both?
05:23pm 03/07/03 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:23pm 03/07/03 Permalink
swissc~1.dat
Gold Coast, Queensland
2801 posts
xbox, cos the gaypube is dying.
05:26pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Kaizdos
Brisbane, Queensland
67 posts
I got an Xbox. I like it. There are a few games out for it. They are expensive but so are Gamecube.

Xbox have in my opinion a lot of games aimed at the more mature audience. So they seem a little more indepth.

But that is my thoughts. Plus I love the graphics.
05:29pm 03/07/03 Permalink
DigitaL
Brisbane, Queensland
594 posts
xbox

XBOX LIVE IS COMING OUT IN A FEW MONTHS and its gonna be sik.
also its more entertaining for the older audience with more "mature" games.

i still play PGR and perfect my drifting skills.

+1 for xbox
05:30pm 03/07/03 Permalink
DigitaL
Brisbane, Queensland
595 posts
jinx
05:31pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Tooheys
Brisbane, Queensland
373 posts
question how much are these consoles now?

ps2 = ?
xbox = ?
gamecube = ?
05:31pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
1136 posts
I suggest the X-box because when you are talking on MSN you can refer to it quickly using the (xx) emoticon.
05:34pm 03/07/03 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
5694 posts
If you want to play the best games, buy a Gamecube. If you want the additional features of the X-Box then buy that.
05:37pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Ditch
Hobart, Tasmania
1798 posts
gamecube with metroid and zelda...

xbox with dvd/filespace and Halo...

uhh...nuff said

(option 2 ;P)
06:26pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Cailean
New South Wales
3127 posts
ATTN: Don't reply to fat's troll. We've been down that road before and nobody wins.
06:27pm 03/07/03 Permalink
swissc~1.dat
Gold Coast, Queensland
2802 posts
The gamecube could have been great. The hardware is excellent, up there with X-Box, and its in a very compact casing, unlike xbox.

Unfortunately, nintendo has lost its marketing touch, and they only seem to market it towards kids, which is rather stupid of them, considering that the main audience is now mid-teens - adults
06:41pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Ditch
Hobart, Tasmania
1799 posts
ne1 read the review on the consoles in the last atomic issue? (30) had a big line up on xbox, ps2, gamecube, and pc....what a surprise xbox came out ahead (just behind pc). and gamecube happend to be in last place with stats well below other consoles...

hope ive helped ur decision :P
06:53pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
2995 posts
if anything an Xbox, cause you can mod it. pft sif play actual Xbox games!
06:55pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Insolence
Brisbane, Queensland
1849 posts
I used to have a ps2, xbox and gamecube. Now the ps2s gone and the xbox is only used for dvds, gamecube gets used a bit still but mainly for multiplayer games. Either way there is no console which is clearly better then another, it all comes down to personal choice and which one has the 'quality' games which youre interested in.
07:08pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Tooheys
Brisbane, Queensland
374 posts
how much are they?
07:10pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
2103 posts
yeah I found it hard to choose and only wanted (read: was allowed by wife :D) to buy one, ended up going with the xbox because it looked like it allowed more freedom, even if it does mean voiding your warranty to make the changes required.

I'm yet to mod mine though, am happy enough with it as it is for now. I only wish vf4 was done for xbox.

07:25pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
295 posts
Don't buy a console for the hardware. You buy it for the games.

Granted however, the XBox doubles as a DVD (or other media) player, which would the primary reason we're looking at one for the back room.

As for the gamecube... I own 3 games for it (Waverace Bluestorm, Metroid Prime and Zelda: Wind Waker), and neither have had anywhere as much use as the equievelants on other consoles in the past.
(Actually, I've only played Wind Waker for about 45 mins, but am up to the Forest temple in Master quest)...

XBox on the other hand, there aren't actually any games I'd play on it, apart from NHL2k3, but that's available on both systems.

GCN however has SoulCalibur II (as does XBox), Worms (ditto) and TMNT on their way though, all of which I intend to buy.

Seriously though, you gotta decide which games you want to play. If you think you'll get enough use out of whichever you buy... meh.

As a general rule, I go on 1 hour of play = $1 of value.
Given that I've spent around $800 on the gamecube and accessories/games so far, I certainly haven't gotten 800 hours out of it (or 100 hours out of any of the $100 games I bought). However, if I bought an XBox now at $299, with Halo and maybe a few other accessories, I doubt I'll get anywhere close to 600 hours life out of it either, without using it as a DVD player.

But yeah. In the end it all comes down to what games YOU want to play. It's like movies... no matter how much the people here tell you a movie is good or not, you might love or hate it, opposed to what they tell you.

As for the price of consoles... PS2 and XBox are both now $299.
Not sure what GCN is now.
07:25pm 03/07/03 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
141 posts
Gamecube is good for its low, low price. And Metroid Prime owns. Mario Party 4 is pretty good if you have 4 players. Burnout 2 is good. Then there's the Sonic games.

Xbox has a bad controller...thats all i know about it.
07:27pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
298 posts
Mario Party 4 is pretty good if you have 4 players.

Yeah. I was gonna get Mario Party too... but then something made me reconsider:
I have no friends :P
(least of all any who live around here or any who would every be around to play it :)
07:31pm 03/07/03 Permalink
GeNociDe
Brisbane, Queensland
1382 posts
i cant get past metroid and zelda, that should be enough reason to buy a cube. then of course there is its pice, its funky tiny little appearance, fits anywhere, party games, resident evil series, soul calibre etc
08:04pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Jigster/Jester
Brisbane, Queensland
807 posts
i don't know what the gamecube is capable of but i go know what a x-box can and i was very impressed with the xbox. the controllers are diffrent but after a little while u get used to tehm and theri well worth it! i say get an x box
08:25pm 03/07/03 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
153 posts

i would buy a gamecube over gay-box any day. but i dont have to since i got my tusty PS2. :P
09:45pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Space Ninja
Brisbane, Queensland
1976 posts
Buy a Dreamcast!
09:52pm 03/07/03 Permalink
DigitaL
Brisbane, Queensland
598 posts
sif PGR2 osnt goin to rule alll racing games
09:54pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Jigster/Jester
Brisbane, Queensland
811 posts
sifn't get a PC.
10:22pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
1151 posts
I think he said somewhere in his post that he had a PC.

Unless he is spamming from his fridge.
10:24pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Hashy
New South Wales
470 posts
Hey you guys!!~

I've never seen a thread like this before, looks interesting and new!
10:37pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Pluck Me Dead
Brisbane, Queensland
693 posts
If your after endless hours of multiplayer than go for the Game Cube. From my knowledge Metriod and Zelda are not multiplayer games and im guessing once you finish the single player than thats end of the game (unless you wanna go back and do it all over again).

Morgan the champ let me borrow his Game Cube with Super Smash Brothers Melee about a month ago and even though it looks kiddy etc etc i still find myself comming back to it with friends/family again and again.

On the other hand the big selling point in the xbox for me is all the modding mombo jumbo and the DVD player. Also if you wanna enjoy more of the "mature" content in their games than you might wanna check out the Xbox.

Personally id stick to my PC since i tend to get sick of consoles eventually. That being said you could always wait around until one of your friends agrees to let you burrow his console for months on end... eg: Morgan :D
11:23pm 03/07/03 Permalink
Nailbomb
Melbourne, Victoria
730 posts
i have both consoles.. imo the xbox has slightly better graphics but as far as games go the gamcube totally wipes the floor with the xbox, most of the xbox games ive played are bloody boring... yeah, alot of gamecube games may be geared towards kids but who gives a s***, they're still fun and addictive to play and thats all that really counts for me as long as the game plays well. good graphics are just an added extra bonus.
12:13am 04/07/03 Permalink
Macattack
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
37 posts
Xbox definately, just coz of halo 2(also coming out on pc), and Starcraft:Ghost is gonna be better on xbox than any other console
02:20am 04/07/03 Permalink
Tim Tibbetts
Brisbane, Queensland
755 posts
Look at the games then decide. In my opinion the GCN has more AAA titles than the Xbox, and if that's enough of a reason to buy one then buy it.
07:01am 04/07/03 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
5797 posts

Xbox have in my opinion a lot of games aimed at the more mature audience. So they seem a little more indepth.

You'll find that Nintendo will have more depth in most of their games aimed at any target audience, mature or not. Secret levels in secret levels that can only be acessed every 2001 goes..

Anyway, for the X-Box vs GameCube. I'd go the Gamecube as I already have a PC. And alot of the games available on X-Box I can get, and would probably have a better time playing on the PC.
However the GameCube has games that I will never get to play on PC, not withouta j0r emulat0r (in a billion years time). Games like Soul Calibur 2, Animal Crossing (fkn weird game, non on the x-box like it), metroid prime (very well made game), Zelda (omg So easy to get get immersed into that game).. The list goes on.

If your the type of person who likes EA Sporty games, car rally games and the like, perhaps look a little more closly to the X-box, but if you like to play all sorts of games, like RPG and fighters and platformers, I'd have a closer look at the Gamecube.

Also, the Gamecube looks soo much better and is so much more managable then an X-Box. And the controlers are better too. :p
10:58am 04/07/03 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:58am 04/07/03 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.