Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Razor Gaming Gear
judge
11 posts
While watching the WCG Canada finals in canada last year i took note that a lot of the good players were using razor mouse and keyboards. I like the look of them and i got to test the gear for a few seconds - the response time on the keyboard felt very good, although the mouse did look and feel a bit small, maybe i could get used to that.

Has anyone here bought these products? how do you like them? also what games do you play with them?

thanks
06:08pm 01/11/08 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:08pm 01/11/08 Permalink
heavy_rocker
Brisbane, Queensland
98 posts
i have a razer diamondback. pretty sweet mouse, but nohting compared to my intellimouse v3 (yeah baby). i play - pretty quickly - hearts and solitaire
06:20pm 01/11/08 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
959 posts
i use their mantis speed mouspad- it rocks socks
06:36pm 01/11/08 Permalink
Kimbo
Melbourne, Victoria
338 posts
I've got the (own):

- Razer Tarantula Keyboard
(Very big gaming keyboard and very solid as well. Only the keys down each side can be macroed but supposedly the keyboard is very mechanical [clickedy click click click]. The keyboard is very stable when gaming as well, so it won't move.) Only other con is is the keyboard very big and bulky.

- Razer Lycosa Keyboard
(Feels like a normal keyboard but with macroing capabilities, but can macro more keys than the Tarantula, you can also macro the whole keyboard and is a lot smaller than the Tarantula.
Light backing is good, but as soon as you turn off the light backing you can't see the keys -- good if you know the keys though. Touch panel for volume also works in Ubuntu for some functions. Also the plug for the headphones is actually mono. Not sure if this is the same on the Arctosa with the headphone jack.) Hand guard can be moved with a phillips head screw driver as well.
(Positives: Keyboard is a lot smaller than the Taratuna.)

- Razer Copperhead Gaming Mouse
(Just another 2000 DPI mouse. When I moved on to the Lachesis was negated but I will prefer this one to a certain degree using the Destructor Mouse pad. DPI settings aren't interchangable like the Lachesis are.) The mouse is high arched so your hands sort of never touch the mouse mat. But side buttons can be a bit of an issue for right handed people.
Additionally considering this is an older Razer product flashing the mouse's firmware can be a bit tricky.

http://www.razerzone.com/p-74-razer-copperhead-gaming-mouse.aspx

- Razer Lachesis Gaming Mouse
(You can configure the DPI on this mouse anything from 500 to 4000 DPI. It also has all of Razer's original stuff and comes in blue and white. I have the white one. Each DPI setting has 5 points to set and the mouse is ambidextrous. For both left and right handed players.) Just like on the Copperhead the side buttons once again can be an issue also 4000 DPI is good for larger resolutions I think but I am not sure. Also if you use the claw grip the two small buttons can get in the way. But like everything on Razer its always disableable through software.
Flashing this mouse's firmware is slightly easier.

http://www.razerzone.com/p-66-razer-lachesis-gaming-mouse.aspx

- Razer Destructor Mousepad
(Is really VERY good mousepad with 2000 DPI mice can even work with the Lachesis and is pretty good for small deskspace.)
http://www.razerzone.com/p-80-razer-destructor-precision-gaming-surface.aspx

and that Razer double sided mat aluminum mat thing.
(You tend to use the control side more for the accurate shots and speed side for turning but who wants to be turning the mouse pad over and over.) Its like they got both the large cloth speed and control pads and put them into this thing.
http://www.razerzone.com/p-84-razer-exactmat-duo-precision-gaming-surface.aspx

I've heard the Deathadder is good for right handed people. Also saw that they rated the Deathadder one step above the Logitech MX518. Still not sure if I believe all the results. Guess it all comes down to personal preference. If in doubt just talk into X store and ask to see each mouse model. Most packaging for each Razer mouse allows you to grip it while its still in its box.

If you want good prices on Razer gear in Australia and you live in Melbourne try either:

Here:
http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?x=&y=&keywords=Razer&ccsid=22ffa6bd59b0433e358ac3a606db8488

Also the other thing I like about Razer's mice is the individual driver and how you can get rid of all the Windows included crap sensitivity and everything and really just GET BACK to the "Master X and Y Sensitivity". I also like how you can turn off acceleration on the mouse. Only catch 22 is that Half Life 2 as an engine puts on the acceleration as well. Just a shame you have to put on: -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd into the command like to get rid of all the junk that Win XP puts on.

I've tested Razer's gear mainly on TFC, Insurgency, UT2k4, UT3, Crysis and a few times on Quake 3 and Im loving it.

Here:
http://www.cpl.net.au/

They have stores in North Melbourne and somewhere out in the east I think.

or here:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=a4f7081c742a88945e9c3847e663b0d7&keyword=Razer&x=0&y=0

You may also want to have a look at Scorptec:
http://www.scorptec.com.au/search/?q=Razer&btn_search.x=0&btn_search.y=0

Just with the recent US dollar thing Centercom is slightly expensive so I'd go with probably CPL or PC Case Gear (at this time of writing). Just to try and get the Razer gear as cheap as possible.

Now do I think Razer make good gear? Yes in some ways, no in others.

Is some of Razer's gear as price up and down more reasonable versus Logitech? After a fashion, yes.

Do I hate Logitech? Once again, Yes and No. I hate logitech for all of a sudden realising that there was a supposed 'gaming market' and that the priciing is a bit steep but no I dont hate them because the newer version of the G15 is pretty reasonable.

What do you hate about Razer? The fact that they keep releasing more products, but I guess thats just how it is, and we can't do anything about it. I also don't appreciate that they don't have a sort of open source driver for Linux but maybe in the future they will. Who knows, as Linux gaming takes off, you never know what might happen.

Final ideas / opinion / blergh:

Razer Tarantula: Good if you play MMORPGs and can be used pretty well in TF2 for comboing up quick building and quick disguising also the response time is pretty good. (Used it during 2006 and 2007.)

Razer Lycosa. (Currently using all the way through 2008 - I do miss the mechanical style keyboard for some reason.)

Razer Copperhead (Still use this from time to time with the Razer Destructor depends on my mood.)

Razer Lachesis have been using more lately, because of all the DPI configurability.

ExactMat - Haven't touched it in forever and a day

Destructor - been using since April 2008 and loving it.

P.S: Looking forward to the Razer 9 way headphones in 2009.
http://www2.razerzone.com/Megalodon/ - on my "want" list ;)
07:22pm 01/11/08 Permalink
Fireblood
Brisbane, Queensland
8771 posts
Whoa! ^ Thread over? lol
08:00pm 01/11/08 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
199 posts
TLDR ^

I have a razor mouse pad, it came with some piece of s*** mouse i bought in a hurry when I just needed a new mouse at work
08:03pm 01/11/08 Permalink
JakeG
Brisbane, Queensland
312 posts
I use intellimouse 1.1 and razer mantis speed pad.

Not a fan of the mice.. too much screwing around with driver programs etc.. probably wont bother you if your not taking your gear to lans though.

ps. tarantula is a mad name for a keyboard :>
11:45am 02/11/08 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
3300 posts
i have razor mouse pad destructor + razor mouse diamondback 3g i think

f*****g s**** all over any other mouse i have ever used

last edited by Sc00bs at 11:49:57 02/Nov/08
11:47am 02/11/08 Permalink
taggs
Brisbane, Queensland
2336 posts
g5 ftw
11:49am 02/11/08 Permalink
dafugg
Brisbane, Queensland
1532 posts
Copperhead > off centred logitech crap.
09:53pm 02/11/08 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
12832 posts
logitech ftw
09:59am 03/11/08 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
962 posts
whats wrong with the exactmat? i was thinking of getting one but ended up with a mantis speed
11:24am 03/11/08 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
3081 posts
Do Razer still make a mouse based on the same design as the Boomslang?
06:29pm 03/11/08 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
2238 posts
The only thing good about the boomslang was the name, cause you could say BOOOOOOMslang!!!! at lans...
06:32pm 03/11/08 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
2323 posts
g15 keyboard
g5 mouse
using my desk for a keyboard

owning all the razor noobs, priceless.
11:47pm 03/11/08 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
6743 posts
g15 v1 keyboards own anything razer has tried to put out.

Mouse .. I have a Copperhead.

11:19am 04/11/08 Permalink
Ospi
Brisbane, Queensland
61 posts
G9 >>>>>>>> * Really is a fantastic mouse and I recommend.
01:28pm 04/11/08 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
10130 posts
i used the copperhead and found it too flat, that and it actually died from overuse which is lame for a pro-gaming mouse. the g5 without weights is light has a nicer ergonomic curve for your hand's natural posture. i wouldn't go back to razor.

i have the razor professional mouse pad and it is awesome. a mousepad defintiely enhances gaming, just give it a good scrub with soap and warm water, or ajax every couple of months as it builds up grime in the grainy surface texture.
01:32pm 04/11/08 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
23210 posts
intellimouse4lyfe
01:47pm 04/11/08 Permalink
JakeG
Brisbane, Queensland
323 posts
I havent had to wash my mousepad yet but thats a good idea cos mine has gotten a bit grimy :(

Pro Tip: After a rainy day if you find your mousepad has a little more friction than usual it has absorbed moisture. Quick 30 seconds under the hairdryer and it will be slippery as s*** :>

last edited by JakeG at 14:01:21 04/Nov/08
01:59pm 04/11/08 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
6745 posts
I don't hate tits enough to notice or care.
02:23pm 04/11/08 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
8768 posts
same
02:25pm 04/11/08 Permalink
judge
12 posts
Kimbo thanks for all that info mate!
02:32am 05/11/08 Permalink
Fireblood
Brisbane, Queensland
8793 posts
I don't hate tits enough to notice or care.

lol, flog that dead horse!
09:31am 05/11/08 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
6748 posts
Its only dead once it stops moving
10:08am 05/11/08 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
8769 posts
and even then where's the harm in flogging it some more, I say
10:58am 05/11/08 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:58am 05/11/08 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.