Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Recommend me car tinting joints.
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
2504 posts
Anyone know of any good quality car tinting places around the south/south west side of Brisbane? Hoping to get some advice from people who have had the tinting for a while to make sure it hasn't gone blurry,changed colour or started blistering. Was also thinking of getting darkest legal tinting, anyone had any issues with it being that dark?
05:24pm 17/01/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:24pm 17/01/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9052 posts
had my patrol done at this one in 2005, neat job and it's tough as nails so far
http://www.tintmart.com.au/store-brownsplains.html

and nope no issues with that level of dark
05:34pm 17/01/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
591 posts
I had my 180sx done in milton @ tint-a-car, they've done two of my cars now
good job, really happy with it
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/businesses/605435.tint-a-car-milton

had my hilux done at www.endrust.com.au down in Sydney, also top quality work and very happy with it (pretty sure they've got BNE dealers too)
09:08pm 17/01/09 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
7860 posts
if you wait a couple of months till summer's over, you'll get a better price. If you can be arsed that is.
09:21pm 17/01/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
592 posts
just take your first quote to the second place you try and they'll knock $50-99 off usually
most places i've found just quote $300 -/+ $50~ for a normal sized car, theres heaps of profit margin in it for them

it'll take a pro about 1 hour if there's no tint on them and the materials cost f*** all
09:29pm 17/01/09 Permalink
MrHardware
Brisbane, Queensland
4223 posts
ok so i'm a tinting nub, tell me about it.
all i know is my wife's old car had tint and it was eons old and had gone purple ad was a bit hazy
my car's standard glass is slightly tinted to a level that is the same protection as SPF15 sunscreen
i would imagine that all tint limits your vision through the windows at night?
and apart from looking cool, what are the functional advantages of tint? does it keep your car cooler or does the darkness keep it hotter?
10:00pm 17/01/09 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
2505 posts
Greater UV protection, reduce heat and glare. Turning purple and hazing when it gets old is what I am trying to avoid. Something with a 10yr+ warranty would be nice.
10:20pm 17/01/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
593 posts
its just like sunglasses for car windows
10:22pm 17/01/09 Permalink
Resonate
Brisbane, Queensland
378 posts
I also used Tint-Mart at browns Plains to get my lib gt done. The darkest legal is fine, you will have no trouble seeing out of it at night and i've got no drama's with the tint so far.
10:40pm 17/01/09 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
13392 posts
Was also thinking of getting darkest legal tinting, anyone had any issues with it being that dark?

Darkest legal tinting is not dark at all. I had it put on my car and was amazed at just how NOT dark it was. You can still see fine at night. When I cbf getting off my ass & tinting my cars I'm going darker than legal.

As for peeling, I don't know if it's still the same now but if you get the 3M tinting film and it's installed by an authorized 3M installer it's guaranteed for life not to fade, bubble or peel or at least it was a couple of years ago when I had some tinting done.

all i know is my wife's old car had tint and it was eons old and had gone purple ad was a bit hazy
my car's standard glass is slightly tinted to a level that is the same protection as SPF15 sunscreen
i would imagine that all tint limits your vision through the windows at night?
and apart from looking cool, what are the functional advantages of tint? does it keep your car cooler or does the darkness keep it hotter?

Some people will get that cheap film from supercheap and tint a car themselves, that s*** bubbles, peels and ends up looking like you've run 2000 grit sand paper all over your window.

You're not legally allowed to tint the front window so no, you can still see fine at night unless you drive backwards or something and even then you can still see out of the windows. Try driving around at night with a decent pair of sunnies on, it's kind of like that.

Yes it helps reduce heat, my car was noticably cooler in summer.

edit: Oh and a good place will warn you but in case they don't, if you have a heated rear window (demister) and you pull the tinting off, it destroys the demister circuit so pray your rear window does not peel, bubble or fade and have to be re-tinted.

last edited by whoop at 23:18:21 17/Jan/09
11:15pm 17/01/09 Permalink
MrHardware
Brisbane, Queensland
4224 posts
yeah i know you can't do it to your front windscreen.
oh ok, so noticably cooler. weird huh, black cars get a lot hotter but black windows make the car cooler. fair enough!
what's the main reason people get their windows tinted, functionality or looks?
11:19pm 17/01/09 Permalink
Resonate
Brisbane, Queensland
379 posts
what's the main reason people get their windows tinted, functionality or looks?

I got mine done because my car came with privacy glass on the rear windows, looked kind of stupid having the rear windows of the car all dark and tinted while the two front windows weren't so i matched up the fronts for a uniform look. Also i did it to keep the car cool in summer.
11:43pm 17/01/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9054 posts
weird huh
not really

and what do you mean by 'get a lot hotter'? I've got a white car and a black car, both have darkest legal tint everywhere except the windshield - and unless you got a thermometer out there's no telling the difference - they're both hot as f*** if left closed up in the sun

and the sole reason I got tinting was for UV filtering and heat insulation, cos as whoop already mentioned, darkest legal isn't very dark at all, it doesn't do much for looks

last edited by Jim at 02:13:48 18/Jan/09
02:12am 18/01/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9055 posts
that reminds me, I had a black prado which I got tinted norty-dark and it looked pretty pimp but it definitely adversely effected visibility at dusk and night. it was pretty bad
02:18am 18/01/09 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
13394 posts
How dark is norty dark? I was thinking of going just 1 step from darkest legal, so not like limo tint or anything. I don't want to so you can't see into the car.
03:32am 18/01/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9056 posts
not quite pimpin hoe's or dealin drugs but darker than legal, kind of thing

http://jasonb.smugmug.com/gallery/4821103_KEfVb#286735059_johny

I don't know what level or step or whatever that was darker than legal but if I had to guess based on two cars I have now with darkest legal I'd say 'considerably' - so if you only went slightly darker than legal I reckon you'd be fine
08:50am 18/01/09 Permalink
Grimy
Brisbane, Queensland
310 posts
Tint-a-car at browns plains, my wife and a few mates went there and got that midnight express. Turned out great and very competitive.
09:32am 18/01/09 Permalink
BigZub
Brisbane, Queensland
4874 posts
jim you're a drug dealer... i want in... on how much that black tint was on the prado?
10:10am 18/01/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9058 posts
=]
it was one of those tints done after factory but prior to taking delivery by some mob that car dealers use, ming or something I think toyota were using at the time. it made up about $400 worth or so of a bundled paint and interior protection package

pretty sure it'd be a lot cheaper aftermarket
10:40am 18/01/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
594 posts
10:41am 18/01/09 Permalink
BigZub
Brisbane, Queensland
4875 posts
jebus, thats not very dark at all.... my skin colour is darker than that :P
10:51am 18/01/09 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
13229 posts
Tint Mart at Stafford were the only people competent enough to tint my car

http://www.toyotasera.net/gallery/thumbs/IMG_7554.jpg http://www.toyotasera.net/gallery/thumbs/IMG_7645.jpg

last edited by scuzzy at 10:54:12 18/Jan/09
10:53am 18/01/09 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
2506 posts
Tint Mart came back with a $269 quote due to a special. It sounds pretty good, will wait for a reply from tint a car.
01:09pm 18/01/09 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
13230 posts
Thats pretty reasonable, No one wanted to touch my car (was knocked back by atleast 8 places), I ended up having to pay closer to $500 with tint mart, and it took two people a morning to do.
09:10pm 18/01/09 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
13398 posts
That's because your car is mostly made of glass. I'd have just gone & got some dark glass paint like what you use to make fake stained glass windows.
09:33pm 18/01/09 Permalink
Trin
Brisbane, Queensland
2601 posts
got mine done with uber dark, not the most illegal, but just a little over. $200 cash (yay for working in the automotive industry), but yeh now my rear window demister thing doesnt work :(
12:21am 19/01/09 Permalink
ChickenS***
Brisbane, Queensland
271 posts
You guys think I can get a car tint joint to tint my room windows? maybe tell them it's one of those immovable mobile homes?
12:42am 19/01/09 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
3035 posts
You guys think I can get a car tint joint to tint my room windows?
Tint Mart do home and office tinting.
12:45am 19/01/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:45am 19/01/09 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.