Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Quantum Computing - Instantly crack RSA/PGP... Pandora's box ?
gamer
236 posts
So i was reading an article on one of the newest Quantum computing experiments...

Click here

The researchers ran each program 900 times. On average, the quantum computer operated accurately 79 percent of the time, the team reported in their paper, which was published online November 15. “Getting this kind of control over a quantum system is really interesting from a physics perspective,” Hanneke says.

Earlier research has estimated that to be useful, a quantum computer must operate accurately 99.99 percent of the time. Hanneke says that with stronger lasers and other refinements, the system’s fidelity may be improved.

I wanted more information so I read...

Click here

Specifically...

Integer factorization is believed to be computationally infeasible with an ordinary computer for large integers that are the product of only a few prime numbers (e.g., products of two 300-digit primes).[7] By comparison, a quantum computer could efficiently solve this problem using Shor's algorithm to find its factors. This ability would allow a quantum computer to "break" many of the cryptographic systems in use today, in the sense that there would be a polynomial time (in the number of digits of the integer) algorithm for solving the problem.

My question though to all you science geeks even after I read the wiki stuff is: Can anyone explain why a quantum computer is so good/fast to a laymen like me?

(I trid to make this thread interesting, not to long, contain quick info'n'quotes and 'clean' in an attempt to improve on my past threads, hope its a step up)
11:33am 14/12/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:33am 14/12/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
28657 posts
(I trid to make this thread interesting, not to long, contain quick info'n'quotes and 'clean' in an attempt to improve on my past threads, hope its a step up)
It's interesting, but your actual question can be answered by some pretty half-assed Googling

http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/cribsheet_15_quantum_computing/
12:01pm 14/12/09 Permalink
gamer
237 posts
Both classical and quantum computers
perform calculations by manipulating
information. Classical computers
represent information as binary digits,
or bits, which can have values of
either 0 or 1. Quantum computers
represent information as quantum
bits, or qubits. Many different
physical objects can be used as qubits,
such as atoms, photons, or electrons.
Paradoxically, a qubit can represent
0 and 1, as well as other possible
values, at the same time, in what is
called a quantum superposition.
This allows a qubit to simultaneously
use many more informational
states for computation and is
responsible for quantum computing’s
advantages over classical computing.
In the illustration above, an atomic
spin represents a qubit. An “up”
spin corresponds to 0; a “down”spin
equates to 1. A quantum superposition
encompasses 0, 1 and all possible
values in between.

I took your un-necessary jab on the chin and followed your link trog, downloaded the pdf and read it in compeltion but dont really understand any better. The above i'm sure is meant to explain things and it might have even made sense to you. It didnt help me at all.

It's a good doco of how they work but I guess the difficulty for me is understanding 'superposition' and how stuff can have the value of 0 and 1 lol? either its 0 or 1 right, not both?

last edited by gamer at 13:27:38 14/Dec/09
01:23pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
10917 posts
01:31pm 14/12/09 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
11113 posts
thread title typwned imo
01:34pm 14/12/09 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
4611 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
01:35pm 14/12/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
28660 posts
Well, to directly answer your question, they are good because they operate in a fundamentally different way to regular computers that allows them, in theory, to perform certain operations much much faster.

They are fast because (very abstract and using what I believe is the definition of a "perfect" quantum computer) they are able to hold all the "answer space" in one single computation and derive the "correct" answer from that, where a normal computer has to do them all in sequence.

It wasn't a jab on the chin; your question is extremely broad and thus can be answered by half-assed comments like mine above which don't really answer anything. If you're specific about what you do and don't understand then maybe people can step in and offer some more insight. No need to whine about it.
It's a good doco of how they work but I guess the difficulty for me is understanding 'superposition' and how stuff can have the value of 0 and 1 lol? either its 0 or 1 right, not both?
Yeh I think that primer is less of a good explanation than wiki: "A single qubit can represent a one, a zero, or, crucially, any quantum superposition of these". There are no values "between" the zero and the one; it's just that the superposition means the values are zero and one /at the same time/ and thus the outcomes that eventuate are based on the quantum computer being able to interpret all those values at the same time
01:37pm 14/12/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
28661 posts
thread title typwned imo
fixed
01:40pm 14/12/09 Permalink
gamer
238 posts
Wow Jim, thats fantastic you know what wikipedia is, well done old timer.

half-assed comments like mine above which don't really answer anything.

Well you said it best there. Your last responce though was alot better, thanks. You can call it winging all youw ant Trog but in the end all your doing is posting in a thread that you have no interest in and for some reason taking that out on me, if you dont like the thread or dont have interst in it, dont post.

Thats the quickest way to have it fall down the threadlist. I think its interesting and i'm sure some really head trippy stuff can be explained by some people that also take interst in it.

There are no values "between" the zero and the one; it's just that the superposition means the values are zero and one /at the same time/ and thus the outcomes that eventuate are based on the quantum computer being able to interpret all those values at the same time

Cheers for that. Owie! That makes my head hurt.

So that leads onto, how the hell would you get computation from stuff like that? In our computers we have 1's or 0's and therefore are able to work with binary addition for example, but if the bit your storing your temp calulation in can change or contain either value wouldnt that mean your output might be skewed? How to you balance/calibrate/check for that?

Maybe im still not understanding it correctly though...

last edited by gamer at 13:44:52 14/Dec/09
01:43pm 14/12/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
28662 posts
You can call it winging all youw ant Trog but in the end all your doing is posting in a thread that you have no interest in and for some reason taking that out on me, if you dont like the thread or dont have interst in it, dont post.
clearly I'm interested in quantum computing and surely that is evident from my posts; what I'm NOT interested in is threads that violate the rules by asking things that can be determined from a simple Google.
So that leads onto, how the hell would you get computation from stuff like that? In our computers we have 1's or 0's and therefore are able to work with binary addition for example, but if the bit your storing your temp calulation in can change or contain either value wouldnt that mean your output might be skewed? How to you balance/calibrate/check for that?
This is answered in the Operation section of the wiki page

edit:excessive whining removed, just stop going off topic and we can all just enjoy the thread
01:50pm 14/12/09 Permalink
gamer
239 posts
An example of what I mean with the last question is the below

in our computesr today where we have two lots of bits to use (hypothetically...) to do a calculation named aa and bb...

you want to see what 1 + 1 is equal to (using lame binary example here but stay with me...)

you would have aa=01 and bb=01

01+
---
=10 (2)

Thats great, we all should understand that and how binary makes that work etc.

But when you talk quantum arnt you talking about having something like this have a possibility of happening?

01+
=11 (3)

because aa or bb might be two things at the same time or change? without control over those bits so that they stay the same value how could you compute with them?

(i'm already facepalming myself for my own ignorance so i thank anyone ahead of time that might want to try and explain this to me)
01:52pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8367 posts
It would be very good for finding the minimum or maximum of a matrix ...

So it would be very handy for some forms of AI. eg. neural networks.

It's also great for processes that rely on brute force eg. crytography cracking
01:53pm 14/12/09 Permalink
gamer
240 posts
Okay I read up on that operations link... out of the two paragrpahs all i really got was

however by repeatedly initializing, running and measuring the quantum computer, the probability of getting the correct answer can be increased.

so they run 1+1 = 2 say 100 times and they get something like

1+1=0 (5%)
1+1=2 (90%)
1+1=3 (5%)

and take the one with the highest probability?

Man thats awsome.
01:57pm 14/12/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
28663 posts
because aa or bb might be two things at the same time or change? without control over those bits so that they stay the same value how could you compute with them?
Again, bear in mind this is super high level and is only my understanding, not fact:

Basically what happens is you punch in your routine/algorithm. The qubits all end up in a certain state based on that. Because of the nature of quantum mechanics, when you measure that state to determine the "output" of your computation, it collapses that state of those qubits and gives you an "answer" - which, as I understand it now is usually along with a probability of correctness. So there's some uncertainty in the result, but by re-running it several times you can increase the probability of getting a "correct" answer.
01:59pm 14/12/09 Permalink
gamer
241 posts
what I'm NOT interested in is threads that violate the rules by asking things that can be determined from a simple Google.

I know we've got two lines of discussion going with this and i'm not interested in continue this line anymore then you are but I did want to say that if it was 'easy' for me to google and find the answer to this dont you think I already would have? (im _really_ not trying to piss you off with this reply, just wanted to explain myself!)

I brought it here because of two reasons, 1, some people might not be aware of quantum computing and this might enlighten them, just has it has me and 2, some eliments, despite the vastness of google arnt explained in 'layments' terms enough for me myself to understand and i need to bounce it off a few people. I hardly think thats a violation of your rules. Thats the last i have on that line of discussion though. (lol at your quantum reference in relation to timelines etc)
02:02pm 14/12/09 Permalink
gamer
242 posts
it collapses that state of those qubits and gives you an "answer" - which, as I understand it now is usually along with a probability of correctness.

*twitch*

I think that last bit got me there Trog, i kinda... understand now. I think my brain rewarded me with some ceritonan as some kinda positive reinforment that it never gets a chance to do while i torment it with my alcoholism.

Awsome. Pure awsome.

last edited by gamer at 14:20:26 14/Dec/09
02:05pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2237 posts
Well, at the moment it takes the entire thing, then has a guess.

They're just trying to make it so that it guesses correct, most of the time.
02:13pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Plasma
962 posts
I'm yet to read it, but howstuffworks.com is usually pretty good - http://www.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer.htm
02:25pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
10919 posts
I thought a link that explained exactly what you were asking might be useful
but I should've known better, cos it's you
02:30pm 14/12/09 Permalink
gamer
242 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
02:46pm 14/12/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
28665 posts
(Thats a great link Plasma, cheers)
yeh it's the 2nd link you get when you google "quantum computers"
02:49pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
4440 posts
what I'm NOT interested in is threads that violate the rules by asking things that can be determined from a simple Google

Well, there goes the forum then!
02:55pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6093 posts
Google is already experimenting with using Quantum algorithm to optimise their image search.

Very interesting indeed.
03:20pm 14/12/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
28668 posts
Google is already experimenting with using Quantum algorithm to optimise their image search.

Very interesting indeed.
apparently there's some conjecture about whether the company that Google are using (D-Wave) have actually created a quantum computer device. There's more tech info here from a skeptic, claiming that D-Wave are making false claims. Pretty typical for cutting edge science.
04:21pm 14/12/09 Permalink
dranged
USA
1650 posts
ye old grover's algorithm eh?
04:54pm 14/12/09 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
4831 posts
The problem I find is that all these explanations claim that because of the quantum superposition there could be massive parallelism etc etc but they fail to explain how the hell all of this is actually being done

How does qubit addition work fundamentally? How does the computer "find a result" or "input values". Do they use a laser? or a detector? or some frequency based electronics which would ultimately reduce the Quantum-ness to a classical speed limitation?

What do we use to harness this apparent awesome "computational potential"? They only ever tell us that its possible and that we've tested things doing so and so.
06:49pm 14/12/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
28674 posts
How does qubit addition work fundamentally? How does the computer "find a result" or "input values". Do they use a laser? or a detector? or some frequency based electronics which would ultimately reduce the Quantum-ness to a classical speed limitation?
pretty much all your questions can be answered by reading the first link in the OP or some of the 'Developments' links from the wiki page :P
06:59pm 14/12/09 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
16668 posts
I'm going to be honest here, I try to read all the stuff about quantum computing and I have real trouble comprehending it. Someone needs to sit down and explain it to me I reckon :P
08:07pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
4447 posts
^
The problem is quantum mechanics. The s*** is just f***ed up.

I did first year physics at Uni, they drop relativity on you after nice and simple Newtonian physics, you finally get your head around that s***, work out all the f***ed up s*** that they tell you light does and then BANG QUANTUM MECHANICS FATALITY.

last edited by Hogfather at 20:14:21 14/Dec/09
08:12pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
5953 posts
as far as my understanding of quantum computing works,

the basics of quantum physics is that things can exist in 2 states (or more?) at the same time. Once you observe an outcome the thing then only exists in 1 state (the observed state).

so a quantum computer can see all states, once you look it will give a state. so say I want to look at an answer, once you observe it you will have the answer - instantly.

the trick becomes how to look for an answer/state

09:34pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8373 posts
09:53pm 14/12/09 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
5579 posts
the age old cat in a box but improved for quantum physics

Sorry to say that link is not very helpful.

Also, Schrodinger's cat is probably dead after all these years ...
10:07pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8375 posts
Sorry to say that link is not very helpful.

Think of it as an indicator, if you understand the cat analogy you have some vague idea of quantum physics is on about, if you don't you have absolutely no idea.

Wait till you read about "imaginary time" and string theory.

Quantum mechanics explains why light is a particle and an energy wave... and goes on to say all matter and energy can be both.
It says nothing can ever reach absolute 0.
And it says things can be created from nothing (Uncertainty Principle ... its like a Terry Pratchett novel)

It's like science fiction for scientists. I have read a little bit of it things like A Briefer History of Time by Hawkings and Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths, the first I could atleast get. The second was very very dry, loads of maths and seemed to have loads of implied knowledge.

At which point I decided much like the cat, is it there, is not there, did the poison, hammer, or radiation kill it, does it matter ?
11:09pm 14/12/09 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
5580 posts
if you understand the cat analogy you have some vague idea of quantum physics is on about, if you don't you have absolutely no idea.

Huh? My point was that the link had a very poor discussion of Schrodinger's cat, actually caused more confusion. The wikipedia entry is a bit better, containing the motivation, interpretations and further discussion.

I find it all interesting anyhow. One of those fields where just going through the maths won't do - have to change your way of thinking and work from there.
11:36pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
10082 posts

the trick becomes how to look for an answer/state

I think the answer is supposed to be the state that has the least energy for algorithm's inputs?

So when Quantum computing gets to the point of being able to crack encyption, it will also be used to create it, so we will be in the same boat.

There will be tricks that force the 'answer space' to collapse into a 'wrong' answer 99.99% of the time and you will have to know the exact probability of the answer that you want.

Or something like that.
11:48pm 14/12/09 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
213 posts
One of those fields where just going through the maths won't do - have to change your way of thinking and work from there.

Not true - provided you are comfortable enough with the maths; this approach is called "quantum cookery" by some (AKA the "shut up and just calculate it" interpretation). Here's a quote from an Aussie cosmologist:

You should also keep in mind that the formalism of the theory (ie the "mechanics" part of quantum mechanics - or the math if you like) is very formal. It is an accurate descriptive and predictive tool on the appropriate scale - the main gulf in the quantum theory is in understanding what on earth it all means.

There is a term that I find amusing: Quantum Cookery. This term means rigidly applying the formalism of the theory without attempting to understand the implications (ie cooking from the quantum recipe book without any imagination or thought). The point is that if you're good enough at math and applied math you'll get the right results without understanding what the heck you're up to - those results will be repeatable and objective. But the understanding is different - we just don't have the mental a/v equipment for visualising what's going on in the quantum world.

Perhaps this is why quantum philosophy is so interesting.
12:31am 15/12/09 Permalink
hast
UK
1078 posts
if you could somehow tell if a superimposed state satisfied a condition you could solve a lot of problems in log n time.
01:05am 15/12/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:05am 15/12/09 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.