Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Hyundai i30 Impressions please
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1711 posts
So, have been looking for a new car for the missus for the last month or so every weekend. We never really thought of a Hyundai due to the stigma attached to them from years back with the excels etc. Took one for a test drive Friday and was impressed enough that we ended up signing a contract after reading a few reviews on my mobile.

I can't really find anything bad about them on-line from proper reviews and even in comments on said reviews other then typical LOLHYUNDAI type ones. I couldn't imagine a car maker offering a 5 year unlimited k warranty unless they were actually reliable.

Have they really improved that much or have they always made an OK car? We got a 2009 auto with 20,000k's on the clock for under 19k (with 4 years warranty form Hyundai and 3 years used car warranty from Zupps on top) and the list of features that are standard are pretty crazy for the price of the cars. Anyone own one/had any experience with one? The dude didn't give us the cooling off period form so I believe we've got a week to change our mind unless we take delivery.
12:07pm 25/07/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:07pm 25/07/10 Permalink
neffo
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
17135 posts
10 working days for cooling off isn't it?
12:16pm 25/07/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7722 posts
Paging mission

My parents in law bought a brand new i30 diesel slx manual last year

i've driven it a few times now, and it is the best car i drove in 2009
Nimble, doesn't sound like a truck, comfy seats, electric everything. This hyundai is worlds ahead of the old excels etc. They really are good cars now.

did you get the diseasel or the petrol? sx or slx?

last edited by hardware at 12:21:37 25/Jul/10
12:16pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1712 posts
10 working days for cooling off isn't it?

For used according to some website I googled it's 1 day if they give you the form, 7 if they don't.

We got the petrol, kind of wish they had a diesel and I'd thought about asking if there was one now though heh. 4.5l/100K for diesel.

Edit: And it's a SX, not a SLX. We were really looking at spending a bit less and getting late 00's Astra or something. Looking at the standard features though the SX is pretty pimping. I think the SLX had extra air bags and climate control instead of normal air con.

last edited by Charlie at 12:26:04 25/Jul/10
12:24pm 25/07/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7723 posts
We were really looking at spending a bit less and getting late 00's Astra or something.
Heh, maybe less to buy, not less to maintain.
Timing Belt + Interference Motor = $$$

4.5l/100K for diesel
Yes they really are freaks on fuel. I did northside -> toowoomba and back again on a third of a tank, which I believe is about 17L for 360k or some such

last edited by hardware at 12:32:18 25/Jul/10
12:30pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
3247 posts
I have never had a bad experience with a Hyundai. They're fairly no frills but reliable and good value.

We have an i30 as a pool car at work and I have driven it a bit. It's a good drive, has a gutsy sound and all the standard features you'd expect. I'd buy one just for the good price point and efficiency.

Edit: Oh, I'm also a big fan of the founder of Hyundai. He's like the asian Richard Branson. Read up on him here.

last edited by Crizane Tribal at 12:36:44 25/Jul/10
12:31pm 25/07/10 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
6865 posts
We've had an i30cw (the wagon version) CRDi manual for about 14 months now, bought it new.

I never thought I'd buy a Hyundai but the wife liked it and insisted I go have a look. I went to the showroom ready to rubbish it and tell her politely 'What were you thinking?'

Obviously I was surprised and we bought it and I have no regrets. Just a good all round 'basic' car. Cheap as s*** to run, good safety features (such as ESP), we get 4.7l/100km on the freeway with two adults, 3 kids and the boot chockers of s*** while it still has plenty of go (255nm @ 1900rpm), extra weight really makes no difference to it....

I haven't driven an auto or petrol version so can't really comment on that but I'd be safe to say that it certainly wouldn't be a bad buy. The small car market is so competitive that they all will be fairly similar overall.

USB stereo is win!
12:38pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Vash
1928 posts
Hyundai's have to be the most reliable car.
My mum's excel is still going hard and she's had it since new. 200kkm on the clock and there was a point there she didnt give it a service for 70,000km... O_O

My workmate use to redline burnout his Elantra straight off cold starts... still going.
12:41pm 25/07/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
3848 posts
Wasn't the i30 Australian's best selling small car in like March this year/last year or something? from what i've heard they're fairly popular, especially amongst the ladies
12:45pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1713 posts
Hyundai's have to be the most reliable car.

I wonder where the impression came from that a lot of people (myself included) have thinking they're buckets of s***. I mentioned to the old man we signed for one and he said "oh that's good, they're a reliable little car" which surprised me. I guess like I said before you can't offer a 5year unlimited k warranty and sell a s***box.

Mmm, was kind of a bit meh about it but after the comments here I'm getting a little more excited about one ha ha.
12:48pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
9089 posts
s***
12:50pm 25/07/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7724 posts
Because the X1 Excels were heaps of s***. But that was 23 years ago.
12:50pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Vash
1929 posts
The main thing that gave them a bad reputation wasn't exactly the reliability but the build quality of the interior was pretty shoddy.
But that has come a long way in recent years.
12:54pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
4781 posts
hyundais aren't what they use to be.

Very reliable care now, and well worth the money.
12:55pm 25/07/10 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8413 posts
reliable, decent, and boring as s***.
01:01pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4219 posts
Great car highly recommended.
01:26pm 25/07/10 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5705 posts
It'll take a few more years yet to lose the stigma of Hyundai but i quite like their current range.
01:28pm 25/07/10 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
6593 posts
Hyundai have always been good cars that would just keep on going and going and going no matter what you did to them, it was just anything non mechanical would fall apart, especially the window winders on the 2 door excels.

Today Hyundai have a very good build quality comparable with Mazda, Honda, Toyota and Nissan, they have come of age.
01:32pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
29824 posts
they are no daewoo
01:33pm 25/07/10 Permalink
neffo
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
17136 posts
No idea what the i30 diesels are like, but the Astra diesels are f*****g horrible.

They sound like something between a piece of farm machinery and someone shaking a box full of spanners.
01:38pm 25/07/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5923 posts
I drive a hyundai, they're great.

I know someone withan i45, it's amazing, you don't need a key to open or start the car HOLY S***!!
02:04pm 25/07/10 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
1727 posts
we hired an i30 in sydney last year and suffice to say, i was very impressed.
comforable, quiet and good on the juice.

and i followed a diesel version the other day on the gateway, when he put his foot down he took off pretty fast in a cloud of black smoke to boot.

we'd buy one.
02:14pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
16661 posts
Timing Belt + Interference Motor = $$$

Gotta love interference motors... not. Surely if you regularly service the timing belt it shouldn't snap though, right?
Hyundai have always been good cars that would just keep on going and going and going no matter what you did to them, it was just anything non mechanical would fall apart, especially the window winders on the 2 door excels.

This dude I know buys cheap s***boxes from the auctions and this excel he had was falling to bits. Dash lights wouldn't work, s*** was falling off everywhere inside but it went pretty hard and he gave it a flogging.
02:20pm 25/07/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7725 posts
yeah neffo they are nothing like the astra diesels, sweet, light motors (at least it driving feel) that sound more like a carby & pushrod petrol four than a tractor. The current model Hyundai Santa Fe has a similarly sweet motor actually.
02:26pm 25/07/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7726 posts
Surely if you regularly service the timing belt it shouldn't snap though, right?
My old man has a widebody camry, bought it new. Replaced the timing belt at 100k just like the schedule said, then at 173k (73k later) the belt snapped just whilst driving around the suburbs. Fortunately, the camry motor is a non-interference (ie clearance) motor, so no bent valves for him.

They say you should change the timing belt on the astra every 60k, which for most people is every two or three years. I dunno about you, but i'd rather not spend $600 on a new timing belt every two or three years if I could avoid it.
02:31pm 25/07/10 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
108 posts
I'd buy a Hyundai, good cars which are really giving the Japs a run for their money.
02:32pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Minxy
Brisbane, Queensland
1382 posts
Only thing I've ever had to replace on my excel was my alternator last year. Otherwise, it's been fantastic.
03:09pm 25/07/10 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
5576 posts

Not getting an astra was the best decision you possibly could have made.
I'd prolly be out of a job if it weren't for those pieces of s***.
03:47pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1714 posts
Haha, well without looking into the service costs etc the Astra was the car I liked most for interior and drive at the time. Was a CDXi or something though so had a bit more in it then the CD. The GF didn't like it for blind spots and the annoyingly placed key right next to the short stubby digital indicator stalk with extra buttons on it you accidentally pressed when changing lanes. The Hyundai's interior was also pretty fine and it drove great (other then the center display LCD thingo that looked funny thought my polarised sunnies and the auto box holding gears a bit long when you let off the gas).

Mmm, now just gotta decide if we should can this one and shop around to save a grand or so heh, ended up being $18990 and could probably find one closish to that in a 2010 model.

PS, why are the new Suburu's (well, the hatches) so horrible and old looking inside?
04:08pm 25/07/10 Permalink
neffo
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
17137 posts
They spent all their design money on the exterior.
04:10pm 25/07/10 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
6866 posts
other then the center display LCD thingo that looked funny thought my polarised sunnies

Funny you mention that.

Last summer I bought a pair of new sunnies. The day I went out was hot as f***, got my new sunnies and went back to the car - which by that time felt 40+ inside.

Put on the new sunnies and looked at the screen to see the temp and it was all black and s***, I thought the extreme heat had f***ed it up, I was spewing :(

Turns out I bought polarised sunnies without knowing it, and the screen was fine.

I thought I'd never get used to it and I nearly took the sunnies back, but now it doesn't worry me...
04:26pm 25/07/10 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
4912 posts
I've only heard good things about the i30 Diesel. My Mechanic bought one for his wife and reckons they are the sheet!

I think they are prolly the cheapest diesel you can buy new in Australia, correct me if I'm wrong.
04:27pm 25/07/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6157 posts
Don't know about the i30 but wifeys Getz lasted for years with no problems. My dad bought a new Getz last year and it's awesome .. comfortable, cheap to run, hasn't had a fault.
04:56pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1715 posts
I thought I'd never get used to it and I nearly took the sunnies back, but now it doesn't worry me...

I noticed it had 2 glasses holders. I guess they run out of extra compartments getting close to the 20 mark for advertising purposes so doubled some up ha ha.
04:58pm 25/07/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
2648 posts
i dunno but the i30's seem alright. had a girlfriend's excel which had done 500 000kms which was running well. Had the usual paint fade. rarely serviced etc. Brother has a getz which hasn't had isssues. Another friend has a getz which he likes.

anything small hatch and manual from hyundai should be alright.
04:59pm 25/07/10 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
109 posts
I just bought a new Jeep but I was very close to buying the Santa Fe. The finish on the Hyundai was superb, especially the interior but the Jeep has a sky slider so that won me over. If I could afford two I would buy a Hyundai.
05:07pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1716 posts
I just bought a new Jeep but I was very close to buying the Santa Fe. The finish on the Hyundai was superb, especially the interior but the Jeep has a sky slider so that won me over. If I could afford two I would buy a Hyundai.

Haha, I tried talking her into getting a late Cherokee so I could get rid of my Jeep and go down to 1 car between us but then ... I remembered I wanted reliability also hehe.
05:08pm 25/07/10 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
110 posts
Haha, I tried talking her into getting a late Cherokee so I could get rid of my Jeep and go down to 1 car between us but then ... I remembered I wanted reliability also hehe.

Yeah I weighed up the reliability issue, there was quite a few problems with the KJ but the KK has a few improvements, that's not to say there won't be problems but it's so far so good, besides, whilst it is still under warranty there shouldn't be a problem- I'll sell it when the warranty runs out.
06:24pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1720 posts
Yeah I weighed up the reliability issue, there was quite a few problems with the KJ but the KK has a few improvements, that's not to say there won't be problems but it's so far so good, besides, whilst it is still under warranty there shouldn't be a problem- I'll sell it when the warranty runs out.

I don't mind so much for my car as I've got a bloke in Redcliffe who imports parts cheap as hell and I never really drive it but we need one car that'll always just be get-in-and-go heh.
07:25pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
16664 posts
Surely if you regularly service the timing belt it shouldn't snap though, right?
My old man has a widebody camry, bought it new. Replaced the timing belt at 100k just like the schedule said, then at 173k (73k later) the belt snapped just whilst driving around the suburbs. Fortunately, the camry motor is a non-interference (ie clearance) motor, so no bent valves for him.

They say you should change the timing belt on the astra every 60k, which for most people is every two or three years. I dunno about you, but i'd rather not spend $600 on a new timing belt every two or three years if I could avoid it.

well I'm my own mechanic so it'd only cost me the cost of a belt so $30 every couple of years to save me $3000 in repair costs seems kind of worth it in my case. Which reminds me, wonder when my timing belt is due.
08:11pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1724 posts
well I'm my own mechanic so it'd only cost me the cost of a belt so $30 every couple of years to save me $3000 in repair costs seems kind of worth it in my case. Which reminds me, wonder when my timing belt is due.

Licensed? If not it might void your warranty.
08:21pm 25/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1764 posts
Picked it up Wednesday, the missus wasn't super excited about driving it... It went a little like this :

Day 1 : "Urmmm, can you drive it back from the dealer please? The roads are a bit busy and I'm not used to the car" then when we got back "I'm taking the back streets to and from work"

Day 2 : "I took all the back streets home, can you drive us to the shops .... oh .. actually I'll drive"

Day 3 : "No, I'm driving, give me the key"

Haha, think she's pretty happy with it. I'm impressed with it too, makes me think about checking out some other Hyundais for myself.
11:07pm 30/07/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
2043 posts

Haha I concur with this. I had a little old '95 two door excel and it never skipped a beat.
Every second time the window winder was a breeze to wind up, but every other time you needed proton pills to roger ramjet that bastard up into place.
11:29pm 30/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1767 posts
Haha I concur with this. I had a little old '95 two door excel and it never skipped a beat.

I'm just plagued by memories of green faded paint excels with massive amounts of ticking coming from under the hood. Though, that said, they were always still driving ha ha.
11:34pm 30/07/10 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
4693 posts
gotta love the guys who put 6" cannons, sideskirts, spoilers, 18" wheels on them.

Then drive around thinking they are in fast and the furious making turbo sounds with their mouths
10:56am 31/07/10 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
126 posts
Hyundai Excel + one of these!

11:20am 31/07/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7761 posts
pics pls charlie
11:26am 31/07/10 Permalink
Charlie
Brisbane, Queensland
1769 posts
It's just a white one, looks like the other white ones heh.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs220.snc4/39339_418503323663_800263663_4557707_2052497_n.jpg

Gotta sort some new wheels out for it. Trying to wrangle a way to put the amp, sub and speakers from the car we traded (I ripped it all out before we traded) in it without voiding the new car warranty. Not having much luck so far :(
04:34pm 31/07/10 Permalink
Corrupt
Brisbane, Queensland
1598 posts
Charlie get the diesel instead of the petrol.
01:36pm 01/08/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Queenstown, New Zealand
4389 posts
We are borrowing my wifes workmates hyundai elantra 1.6 I was pretty impressed when I went to fuel it up at all $70 compared to my legacy which is in the $120 a tank region.

They don't handle well in the cold, but in staying that wife and I are pretty impressed with the little critter and it would be ideal belting around Brisbane
07:23am 02/08/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:23am 02/08/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.