Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Recommend me some (recent) sci fi movies
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
8166 posts
I have a taste for green flesh this arvo; anything decent come out recently in the genre? Watched The Moon, D9, star trek. The new resident evil any good?
03:42pm 12/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:42pm 12/11/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
11525 posts
inception
03:51pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
8170 posts
Shoulda added that to my list ><

Not bad though!
03:51pm 12/11/10 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
219 posts
I really like pandorum for some reason, and new resident evil is pretty good

last edited by m3nt4l at 16:28:06 12/Nov/10
03:57pm 12/11/10 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5174 posts
03:58pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2066 posts
03:59pm 12/11/10 Permalink
arclore
Brisbane, Queensland
461 posts
soylent green
04:00pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1483 posts
Splice, worth a watch but not that great.
04:00pm 12/11/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4368 posts
Tekken.

Wait.. the acting was so s*** it might as well be a sci-fi.
04:02pm 12/11/10 Permalink
CubanPete
Brisbane, Queensland
31 posts
04:05pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
7639 posts
Yeah I enjoyed Splice, but agree with Alize` - it's not amazing but it's entertaining.

I watched bits of Resident Evil on the plane on the way to China a few weeks back. I couldn't really get into it. Maybe if you are a big fan of the games it might be different.

I've heard The Time-traveller's Wife is worth watching - anyone seen that?
04:09pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
8173 posts
Didn't mind repo men, was ok.

I don't know what frame of reference makes soylent green recent?

Splice looked a bit 'B' .. might give it a go.

Did you really expect anything from that film matchy?
04:09pm 12/11/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
32302 posts
Yeah I enjoyed Splice, but agree with Alize` - it's not amazing but it's entertaining.

I watched bits of Resident Evil on the plane on the way to China a few weeks back. I couldn't really get into it. Maybe if you are a big fan of the games it might be different.

I've heard The Time-traveller's Wife is worth watching - anyone seen that?
I thought Splice was complete and utter s*** and I spent the whole time wondering how whatshisname got tricked into it

I've seen TTW (and read the book); the movie was a reasonably good adaption. I would be hard-pressed to call it sci-fi, it's more of a drama thing with a slight sci-fi element. It's watchable but it's one to watch with your woman and not because you want to see aliens heads get stomped.
04:11pm 12/11/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
4614 posts
04:14pm 12/11/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4369 posts
Did you really expect anything from that film matchy?
Not really. I'm just a fan of the game. For me it was more of a case of attempting to match the characters in the movie with the characters of the game in anticipation of how wrong they depict said game characters.

I was surprised to find some were spot on, e.g. Raven.

http://www.darrinhenson.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/raven.jpg

It's like they based the game characters on that movie! Nonetheless, steaming pile of poo.
04:15pm 12/11/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5905 posts
predators (2010)... oh wait you said decent :(
damn that was a s*** movie.. the main character was totally unconvincing.
04:23pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1362 posts
Trying to avoid blockbusters like District 9 and go for ones you may not have heard of..

-Sunshine was good but less so in the second half.
-Moon (is that the same one that you mentioned in the OP?)
-City of Ember was kiddy but great.
-Primer
-9, though I found it a bit boring.
-Surrogates was sci fi, but also a bit meh
-Hadn't seen or heard of The Fountain until recently, not sure if it is really new but it had sci fi elements and I enjoyed it.
-Have never read the Dune books, but thought the Children of Dune miniseries was a pretty interesting plot to step into.

Beyond that, can't think of much. There is very little in the way of decent sci fi it seems.
04:24pm 12/11/10 Permalink
arclore
Brisbane, Queensland
462 posts
don't know what frame of reference makes soylent green recent?

Didn't see the part about recent.. just the part about you wanted to eat green flesh
04:30pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1363 posts
Against my better imdb-rating-check judgement.. I've decided to at some point watch The Lovely Bones, Race To Witch Mountain, and The Book Of Eli, so they might be worth checking out some time as well.
04:39pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
8176 posts
Have seen them. Lovely Bones was good but SO LONG. The director had a huge wank over the other-side stuff. It was cute for awhile but holy s*** there is HOURS OF IT.

Race to Witch Mountain was fun but its ultimately a kids flick.

Book of Eli was pretty good imo!
04:49pm 12/11/10 Permalink
thraxjor
Brisbane, Queensland
3032 posts

04:52pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1364 posts
Ah well due to the miracle of modern linux ISO peering software, I may now have 1.5 of those 3. :P
04:53pm 12/11/10 Permalink
MatchFixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4370 posts
Book of Eli was dope!

But so is everything Denzel Washington is in.

mmm Denzel.. so dreamy..
04:55pm 12/11/10 Permalink
deface
Melbourne, Victoria
17 posts
Check out Serenity. It's a Sci-fi movie AND a Western.
04:57pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
4859 posts
Saw Book of Eli the other day...then went and got Fallout New Vegas....top stuff!!!
05:05pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1535 posts
serenity doesn't count as recent does it?

if so you should waste your brain on Babylon ad (movie) and babylon 5 (tv series - 5 seasons quite possibly the best sci fi ever for its time)

now its anything post 2000 or so
v for vendetta
war of the worlds
children of men
05:15pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
15579 posts
Just go get all seasons of Battlestar Galactica and watch that, should satisfy your sci-fi craving.

Also, you've probably seen it, but The Watchmen was awesome.
05:22pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
8177 posts
Yeh Watchmen was great except for the blue dong. Unnecessary!

I miss BSG so much :(

I swear I've watched almost everything in this thread. I may have a sci-fi problem ><
05:24pm 12/11/10 Permalink
ScrotumPhantom
Brisbane, Queensland
19 posts
sex trek: the next penetration.
05:33pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1366 posts
Don't know if you saw the BSG movie The Plan, it wasn't great. Caprica has also been so-so, started great, but was just cancelled.

Stargate Universe I'm quite liking.
05:38pm 12/11/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5906 posts
dante 01 (2008) seen that one?
abso-fkn-lutley f***ed up french sci-fi insanity ward thingy imo

eden log (2007)
another really fkn weird one. spooky start... i liked it.
05:40pm 12/11/10 Permalink
MoSFXx
Gold Coast, Queensland
165 posts
Back To The Future Blu-Ray
Aliens series Blu-Ray
They don't make them like they used to
05:50pm 12/11/10 Permalink
gamer
1425 posts
What was that movie where they goto some aztec temple and are held there by a gang of mexicans with ak47's ... made to stay ontop of the temple...

then they find that the guys with ak47's isnt what they should be afraid of...
06:05pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5501 posts
The Ruins?
06:18pm 12/11/10 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
220 posts
aliens vs predators 1 ? :P
06:22pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
353 posts
Charlie Jade - TV series, a bit slow but pretty good.

Franklyn - Has an alternate world thing going on for it.

Invasion - Another TV series set in the Florida Keys about glowing lights in the water.

Nightwatch and its sequel Daywatch - Sort of scifi, sort of fantasy. Based on a couple of russian novels by Sergei Lukyanenko. Would also recommend the novels if you are in to reading good books.
06:24pm 12/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1382 posts
I started watching book of eli, which is quite good with some awesome silly action sequences, and much better than the lovely bones which which was just creepy the whole way through and never actually got interesting (though the dad was very cool - edit: and the mum was ridiculously hot, and amazingly somehow never aged, which was nice).

After some time I checked out the imdb page, and was hit with what is becoming a recurring moment of surprise where I find myself asking "holy s*** how is that gary oldman?" I swear that man looks and sounds different in every single role he plays. Found this pic to highlight a few, which doesn't even cover all of them.
http://d3uwin5q170wpc.cloudfront.net/photo/44418_700.jpg
09:00pm 13/11/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
2445 posts
I thought The Box was alright, mostly drama/mystery with just enough sci-fi to be interesting. Great performance from Frank Langella in the supporting role as well.

Trailer is here
10:10pm 13/11/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
2446 posts
What was that movie where they goto some aztec temple and are held there by a gang of mexicans with ak47's ... made to stay ontop of the temple...

From Dusk Til Dawn?

It's worth watching if you haven't already, don't waste your time with the sequels.
10:24pm 13/11/10 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
1852 posts

Is it the one with the killer plant growing all over it, and the reason they have to stay there is so they dont spread the plant... then they die one by one?
10:36pm 13/11/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
2447 posts
Is it the one with the killer plant growing all over it, and the reason they have to stay there is so they dont spread the plant... then they die one by one?

Oh yeah I saw that one, not bad, not great. Mantorok had it: The Ruins
10:53pm 13/11/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
3418 posts
I thought Book of Eli was s***. The only positive outcome of a world-wide apocalyptic event would be if all religious texts were wiped out of existence.

Spoiler:
AMFG HE WAS BLIND; MAKES STORY S***. MAKES THE ABOUT MYSTICAL SKY DADDY SAVING HIS WORDS (when he can't be bothered saving his people) RATHER THAN APPRECIATING THE ARTISTIC MERIT OF THE BIBLE.

Primer is good, but kinda rapes your brain.

The first half of Sunshine rocked when you think that people are just going bats*** insane and killing themselves/each other. Spoiler:
Story turns to s*** when you find out that some radiation-burnt psycho is killing everybody with super human strength/endurance/stealth/speed.
To me it felt like the first half of the movie was made in the UK and the second half in the US, and they just joined the giant chunks together. Kick ass cast of actors in it though.

Moon was a f*****g RAD movie... it's a bit of an emotional roller-coaster.

IMO, oldschool sci fi is the best. A Boy and his Dog, Blade Runner, Aliens, Terminator, Planet of the Apes (old ones, not Marky-Mark), The Matrix (OK not so old), 12 Monkeys ... can't go past it. I tend to prefer my sci-fi a bit more dystopic than techy, like A Boy and his Dog, A Clockwork Orange, Children of Men.
11:16pm 13/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1384 posts
I really liked Book of Eli, and I'm a crazy militant atheist type.
Spoiler:
It was just a great story, and wasn't even entirely suggestive of a higher power I thought. Placing the book next to The Qur'an etc at the end was putting the book's actual importance in perspective. It just seemed more about human dedication, and I thought the twist made sense in context that it was all a bit sillier than real. All the characters worked really well too, though the girl was way too pretty considering. The mayor was fantastic, with his fanaticism in creating fanatics so that he could control them, but not feeling that he was up to inventing a religion himself.

Was also very well made and had some awesome action sequences (a triviality but fun).
11:35pm 13/11/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
15584 posts
Also, if you're going a bit older, Event Horizon is awesome.

Also, The Road is a really good post apocalyptic piece. Not so much action, but some great acting and some great scenes, and its a much more 'real' look at how f***ed up s*** would be in that sort of world.
12:14am 14/11/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
8181 posts
Yeh the road is very good, but very bleak.

You'd have to be bats*** mental anti-religion to hate on the Book of Eli because of the Bible.
01:02pm 14/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1390 posts
I'm usually ok with bleak, but had to stop the road around a point involving a basement and something jumping out.

On that topic though, perhaps my favourite movie of all time is a 2000 Australian TV Movie called On The Beach, well worth checking out with minimal spoilers. Is also sci fi.
02:14pm 14/11/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4094 posts
You'd have to be bats*** mental anti-religion to hate on the Book of Eli because of the Bible.
It did get pretty preachy towards the end, the idea of using religion as a form of control was good, but then it was all "god did it"
03:26pm 14/11/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
3420 posts
If the movie had just been about saving the Bible based on its artistic and cultural worth; I would have been fine with it. It was the insistence on divine intervention that put me off. Apart from that though, the acting, action scenes and OMFG MILA KUNIS were great.
04:14pm 14/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1394 posts
Mutant Chronicles was pretty cool, better than average setting and plot and near decent characters too, wasn't a fan of the horror elements though.

edit: I feel I should clarify that the movie was in fact very silly and can't be taken seriously, but I thought it did a good job at that.

Now hopefully I've exhausted all the awesome sci fi from the last decade and can get back to work. :P
12:57am 15/11/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
8182 posts
I agree that it did have implications of religious reality at the end. Obviously the story was that God has a hand in events.

But I just didn't feel that it was preachy at all, or that it was a vehicle for challenging my beliefs, mostly because it was obviously fiction? It never really occured to me that I was supposed to take the movie seriously. Monkey Magic didn't make me Buddhist, this won't make me into a Catholic.
01:03am 15/11/10 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
16497 posts
The Island.
07:36am 15/11/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
30626 posts
The Island.

awesome tune
08:11am 15/11/10 Permalink
Door
Rockhampton, Queensland
328 posts
08:39am 15/11/10 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
4996 posts
I honestly don't understand how some people think the book of eli was religious propaganda, trying to force the bible down our throat.

I thought it was brilliant and was completely stunned at the twist. But the OC chick annoyed, due to her voice not her body.
09:35am 15/11/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
15595 posts
One of the guys from work who I saw it with was really offended when he found out the book was the bible and that it had some religious overtones, like he was somehow tricked into seeing a movie about the bible. I was like, what the hell, didn't you watch any trailers? Its pretty obvious even from the trailers that the book is the bible.
11:24am 15/11/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
32311 posts
I thought it was a sort of cool movie overall - great setting and Gary Oldman awesome as usual. But I had a high background level of annoyance throughout the whole movie because I was waiting to see how the Bible stuff would play out, which was slightly exacerbated by the twist.

But even though I am a nutbag religious hater - I did like the fact that the whole premise of the movie was using the Bible as a system of control over the mindless drones. JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE!!!!!

I'm not a huge Denzel fan, but he's good in the old sci-fi movie Virtuosity (with Russell Crowe), which i reckon is a good romp!
11:31am 15/11/10 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
5001 posts
trog, thanks for the naming that film. I've been trying to think of that movie for past 3 weeks.
11:38am 15/11/10 Permalink
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
611 posts
Damo, i think you are thinking of Rachel Bilson. Wrong actress.

I liked the Book of Eli. Simple story.
11:42am 15/11/10 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
5003 posts
Mantis, you are correct.

The actress still annoyed me. ha
11:44am 15/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1440 posts
Oh have you seen Contact? It's not exactly recent but is possibly my favourite movie ever, well worth it if not.
11:59pm 18/11/10 Permalink
Door
Rockhampton, Queensland
378 posts
I place Contact with AI. Starts off good then s*** just goes bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S
12:12am 19/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1441 posts
Wasn't a fan of AI, but thought Contact remained excellent throughout, for many different reasons. (characters, plot, presentation, philosophies, potential realism)
12:17am 19/11/10 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
4648 posts
Yeah i like contact
02:14am 19/11/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6901 posts
Recently saw Predator (the new one) didn't mind it actually thought was going to be s*** but it turned out ok.

Pandorum not bad kinda predictable :/ but pretty good pop-corn flick, I enjoyed it.

Repoman was pretty cool and present and interesting theory about what could happen with artificial organs and morality implications etc.

I really liked the book of Eli (looked fantastic on Blu-ray BTW :) ). You could replaced just about any religious text for that book really. The premise really isn't about the "book" per se but it's really about how some people could use religion as an excuse to do some pretty nasty things i.e. brain washing people etc.

Shutter Island was good - probably not strictly sci-fi I guess but more of thriller type movie. Though it does have some science in it about psychology etc.

Day Breakers not bad at all with the added bonus of being shot on location in Brisbane!@? I quite like a new twist on the old vampire theme.

Not so new but short list of the ones I enjoyed
12 Monkeys
Gataca
28 Days later
Children of Men
Event Horizon
Pitch black
The X-Files Movie
V for Vendetta (is it even sci-fi? ... meh I liked it anyway)
04:27am 19/11/10 Permalink
livelongbasher
Melbourne, Victoria
27 posts
Think we've hit all the recent ones.My suggestion - The 5th Element and Brazil.
06:47am 19/11/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1850 posts
Wasn't a fan of AI, but thought Contact remained excellent throughout, for many different reasons. (characters, plot, presentation, philosophies, potential realism)
Read the book (by Carl Sagan), much better than the movie.

Has anyone suggestion Equilibrium? Good movie, stars Christian Bale.
09:02am 19/11/10 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
257 posts
Just for Obes ;

Franklyn
09:33am 19/11/10 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
5035 posts
opec, I agree about pandorum and repo men. Repo men could have been better if it wasn't for jude law.

Don't see daybreakers as sci-fi, was a vampire movie. Quite crap even if it was filmed in brisbane.
10:37am 19/11/10 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1443 posts
Read the book (by Carl Sagan)

I considered it, read up on some of the differences and heard that it was originally written to be a movie anyway. May still do it some day.
12:04pm 19/11/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:04pm 19/11/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.