Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Rift beta 6 - Open tomorrow...
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3111 posts
Welcome to the sixth beta event for RIFT!

The beta servers are scheduled to be available for play from Friday 2/4/2011 at 10AM PST until Monday 2/7/2011 at 10AM PST.

Beta #6: Planar War
During this event, all previously opened content is available for play. In addition, Planar War includes a new level cap of 35, the shared zone of Scarwood Reach, and its associated dungeon: King's Breach. The Warfront of Whitefall Steppes is also open.

If you still have your beta 5 client, then all it is is a few hundred meg update, and 6 minutes of applying (patching i assume).

I actually really enjoyed beta 5, i jumped on for maybe 10 minutes hit level 3 and logged off, thinking it was wow in every way. Then i hit level 10 another late night and some of those giant rifts had established footholds and a whole legion of enemies were storming through to the city. I joined the public group and spent 3 hours going from foothold to rift to foothold, and levelled 7 times. A significantly more exciting and fun way to grind levels :)

I hope this time I actually go into some kind of instance.

Servers are currently locked but you can download and login. Not sure if anyone else is into this beta as much as I am but I figured I'd throw out the announcement.
06:05pm 04/02/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:05pm 04/02/11 Permalink
Warrior
Melbourne, Victoria
2 posts
Im really looking forward to it, got to 22 or so myself and really enjoyed it.

Rifts were great fun, pvp seemed like it was heading in the right direction, always hard to tell when everyones low level, and got the first instance out of the way which was really well done, fairly straight forward, but the end area is worth doing the dungeon just to see.

Still havent got my invite for beta 6, its making me nervous haha
06:23pm 04/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
724 posts
Looking forward to it all, will be my first time playing. But from what I've heard and seen, it looks like an excellent MMO, and something to definitely keep me stirred until GW2.
07:23pm 04/02/11 Permalink
Ickus
Perth, Western Australia
85 posts
Hmm.. dont like my chances of getting in to this one given I only just registered, even with a VIP code it hasnt added the beta access.

I guess I have to wait until #7.

EDIT: Actually if you register now with a VIP code you will get an invide to beta 6. Cause I just did, takes 30-60min for the invite to come. :)
08:32pm 04/02/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1130 posts
Yea I had a go at beta 5, got to 30 with a cleric, not bad game. Gunna see what beta 6 has to offer.
08:41pm 04/02/11 Permalink
arclore
Brisbane, Queensland
670 posts
Yeah I'll be havin' a bash over the weekend. Almost at the end of Scarlet Gorge but there was pesky Guardians defending the last couple of towns when the beta test ended.

last edited by arclore at 20:55:43 04/Feb/11
08:50pm 04/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2465 posts
Yeah i'm gonna give it a go. Still have utterly no idea what class i'm going but i'm leaning toward a cleric type or warrior.
09:27pm 04/02/11 Permalink
Warrior
Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
Justicar/shaman/druid is what i went if you're looking at cleric, i was fairly unkillable when soloing, put out a decent amount of healing/dmg in pvp and had alot of fun dps/support in instances
09:41pm 04/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2466 posts
Was Cabalist in Beta 5? They seem rather cool, with a fair few AoE abilities. That Justicar/shaman/druid combo seems fairly good after messing with the soul calculator so I think i'll stick with that for tomorrow.
09:48pm 04/02/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3113 posts
Were people choosing any specific server?
02:53am 05/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2467 posts
Ok so few thoughts about this game so far

- Amazingly low lag for a beta. Really quite shocked that my MS is only around 300, where as in wow it's over 600 without a tunneler. I approve of this.

- Playing a bard/ranger/nightblade combo which is rather great so far. I like the buff system they have and am leaning toward this being my main build. I may swap out nightblade for something else though, maybe sabatour i'm not sure yet.

- I like the rift system, how they appear randomly at set locations. Also rather cool that they give you items which you change in for greens, blues and epics. Another approval stamp

- Respawn rate isn't overly insane like WoW is atm and I think it's just right.

- Not sure how tradeskills works. Says I need a loom to process the 60 butchering things I have but f**** me if I can find a loom anywhere.

- Getting disconnected seems to bring up a "do you want to reconnect?" button which I think is bloody fantastic. About god damn time this was introduced

Overall from the 3 hours i've played i've got a 11 1/2 bard and am really loving this game.
12:56pm 05/02/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3114 posts
Crap just woke up, is it down right now? I can't connect to any servers..
01:03pm 05/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2468 posts
Oh yeah a GM came on and said they are updating servers with a patch and will reboot them in under 30 min so keep trying i suppose
01:07pm 05/02/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3116 posts
Cheers DM
01:07pm 05/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2469 posts
Oh i'm playing on the Dayblind server too. Names Tyrip
01:12pm 05/02/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1131 posts
You can find a loom in the main city (near your trade trainer) and sometimes at quest hubs, look for a tall round thing with benches all around and lots of wheels and s*** spinning about. All the trade skills require a work area of some sort AFAIK e.g. forge, workbench, loom, lab etc.
01:40pm 05/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2470 posts
Ok so i've been messing with saboteur and boy can this class let off some massive crits. like 500 or so which is pretty much a 1 hit kill for a lot of things. Also I found a blue short sword which gave dex and str so score!

EDIT - it's called beta test for a reason. I had some lag due to someone uploading photos on my net. So I figured i'd go respec my souls. Well not only did it respec me but also DELETED EVERY SINGLE SOUL I HAD. So now my character is broken and useless. Time to start again it seems.

last edited by DM at 16:40:52 05/Feb/11
03:32pm 05/02/11 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
15811 posts
- Respawn rate isn't overly insane like WoW is atm and I think it's just right.

Just right, until theres a few thousand people trying to kill the same things you are on launch day :P
05:56pm 05/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2471 posts
So i'm playing on my warrior testing out Champion (epic btw) and an invasion started. Eh no big deal I thought. I've seen them before and it takes all of 15 min to clear up. So I open up the map and see this...

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3357/zomginvasion.jpg

This wasn't 1 of your pussy water invasions. No this was a full scale death attack which took us about an hour to clear up. Lv 20 elite dragons and war golems running around with 170k - 799k hp and destroying everything. Thousands of mobs were killed and after everything was said and done I had gotten 200 planerite, 7 blue sourcestones and 1 epic one. Now all I gotta do is get another 200 stones and I can get my epic plate pants.

Best. Event. Ever.
08:51pm 06/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
738 posts
So i'm playing on my warrior testing out Champion (epic btw) and an invasion started. Eh no big deal I thought. I've seen them before and it takes all of 15 min to clear up. So I open up the map and see this...http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3357/zomginvasion.jpgThis wasn't 1 of your pussy water invasions. No this was a full scale death attack which took us about an hour to clear up. Lv 20 elite dragons and war golems running around with 170k - 799k hp and destroying everything. Thousands of mobs were killed and after everything was said and done I had gotten 200 planerite, 7 blue sourcestones and 1 epic one. Now all I gotta do is get another 200 stones and I can get my epic plate pants. Best. Event. Ever.

Lol! F*****g win! I'm enjoying this game quite alot, definitely feels like it will be at least a filler or maybe on the side for me while I wait for GW2. It's unique, and boy are the class talents so f*****g unique.

I'm currently playing a Necromancer/Warlock, and probably going to choose Elementalist as my third soul. It's a very very polished beta for being a beta. I move, and there isn't any lag. I use abilities and they work efficiently. Everything seems to be working great!
09:42pm 06/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2472 posts
Yeah i'm shocked that there is next to no lag. I mean I know it's not a retail release but when was the last time you got a US based MMO which natively has low ping? I can't remember when thats for sure.
09:46pm 06/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
743 posts
Hah yeah, it's pretty crazy seeing how polished everything is. Also, high elves ftw, with their awesome flying wings xD
10:26pm 06/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2473 posts
I'm Kelari side. Havn't even tried the others yet. I may when the retail comes out for a bit of a change.
11:22pm 06/02/11 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
293 posts
Yeah started a Purifier / Druid, seems a good healer. Got a nice oh crap insta heal, druid regen is nice, self bubble (Speced 5 points into) nice and tough.

Pre ordered, enjoying it, but kinda over all the people named "Wowclone" "Omgitswow" "Wowisbetter".
09:18am 07/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
755 posts
Haha, that's what happens in any MMO beat now. I just ignore them and enjoy my time.
07:34pm 07/02/11 Permalink
Tork
South Australia
46 posts
yeah rift has been a very good game to play.. but ive heard its 20 plus players for dungeon raids. hmmm, i dont think thats cool with me. had fun in beta PvPing and PvE once I got the hang of it.

I dunno... if it were much cheaper i'd perhaps consider getting it.
09:51pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1142 posts
Well while this thread is still active I'll add that Trion are having an open beta for 6 days starting the 15th (US).

http://www.riftgame.com/en/news/listings/02072011_open_beta.php
10:00pm 10/02/11 Permalink
MoSFXx
Gold Coast, Queensland
307 posts
So Rift is now available to play via Steam if you preordered, anyone had a chance to play it?
Looks promising but will it be another WAR?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39120/
10:14pm 25/02/11 Permalink
existence
Brisbane, Queensland
7358 posts
is this worth buying
11:18pm 25/02/11 Permalink
defi
Wynnum, Queensland
2616 posts
Just brought it but steam is being its usual POS. The beta was good and I am looking forward to seeing what the community turns out like.
11:22pm 25/02/11 Permalink
Nerfington
Brisbane, Queensland
1906 posts
Must... resist... mmo...
11:43pm 25/02/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18232 posts
What's the deal with it still being in beta? EB Games are giving it 02/03/2011 release date so that's like a week away.

Anyway, I'm gonna give it a go. I'm so f*****g sick of WoW with all the bulls*** changes going on. I need something new to try out.
11:46pm 25/02/11 Permalink
Jim
Ireland
12143 posts
some of the wow changes seem dumb but overall I'm enjoying it
raid hardmodes are a good challenge atm, juicy loots
02:13am 26/02/11 Permalink
existence
Brisbane, Queensland
7359 posts
quick question

just bought , downloaded and installed , and i read somewhere that u get a months game time when u buy? but now im trying to log in and it says im not authorized to play, and it doesnt say anything about a free month.. is this another one of those thigns where you have to buy a month to get the month free?
11:46am 26/02/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18234 posts
I just bought the collectors edition of steam although I have f*** all download limit left so I'll have to wait until the end of the month to grab it. Anyone know how big the download is all up?
01:02pm 26/02/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1177 posts
I just bought the collectors edition of steam although I have f*** all download limit left so I'll have to wait until the end of the month to grab it. Anyone know how big the download is all up?

About 8.5gb. Also there is a lot of people playing atm, my housemate is getting a 90min que on the server he choose, all servers on high population so I expect that they will be adding new servers pretty soon.
01:10pm 26/02/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18235 posts
Thanx mate

8-)
02:34pm 26/02/11 Permalink
existence
Brisbane, Queensland
7360 posts
answer my question you dogs
02:54pm 26/02/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1178 posts
quick question

just bought , downloaded and installed , and i read somewhere that u get a months game time when u buy? but now im trying to log in and it says im not authorized to play, and it doesnt say anything about a free month.. is this another one of those thigns where you have to buy a month to get the month free?

No you don't have to, if you did not buy the game via Trion's own site then you will have to add the code provided when you pre-ordered, if your purchase is not considered pre-order (dunno when that ends) then you will not get access to the headstart. If you have a code (or just the CD key via Steam) then go to Trions site and log into your account and add the code.
02:59pm 26/02/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6740 posts
So what server is the local QGLers playing on?
06:12pm 26/02/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1180 posts
I've not decided if I'm buying yet, there are issues with on peak lag on Optus and a number of other ISP's worldwide (identifying the game traffic as p2p and throttling/QoS'ing it) but they are working on it. Also there are long ques atm, will pass over time of course. The unofficial Oceanic PvP server is Briarcliff, but it's seeing some of the longest ques.
08:09pm 26/02/11 Permalink
defi
Wynnum, Queensland
2617 posts
I am loving it. Very easy learning curve for people that have played MMOS before, but the Rift Events add something new to the game. Its like they took the Best parts from WOW and WAR and combined them. Seems really good so far (Although I am only level 13)
12:10pm 27/02/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6741 posts
Got up to level 6 and it's pretty cool so far. Defi hit he nail on the head about taking the best part of WoW and WAR and mixing it all in together. It also has some of the new cool features that were only recently added in Cataclysm too.
12:40pm 27/02/11 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8935 posts
It's not fail from the start (eg. AoC).
So what will determine it's longevity is what happens when you run out of levels. Unless it becomes to repetitive while leveling (eg. CoH).
Is there end game pvp and or pve ?

And you can't answer that now.

I think it is missing a LFG queue system. WoW has nailed that.
But the public quests and invasions are better then warhammer and something wow doesn't have.

The class system is "like" wow, talents 3 trees, but because you can pick the trees is totally new and revolutionary (well almost).

I like it.
12:53pm 27/02/11 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
15904 posts
The beta didn't blow me away, but it seemed like a pretty solid game. Probably something I'd buy and give a bash if I wasn't already playing WoW, but I don't really have time to play two MMOs (barely have time to play one), and I'm not really intending on quitting WoW anytime soon, so I'll be giving Rifts a miss.
12:58pm 27/02/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
3144 posts
Got up to level 6 and it's pretty cool so far. Defi hit he nail on the head about taking the best part of WoW and WAR and mixing it all in together. It also has some of the new cool features that were only recently added in Cataclysm too.

It really only gets better from there based on my 18 levels, you tend to spend more time doing rift events which kind of breaks the simple questing system of complete 5 quests, turn in, get next 5, move to next town.. but you manage because you explore the map a bunch more so you naturally find out where the next quest givers will be.

Edit: I mean the game is called "Rift" so it's probably a good sign that what I enjoyed was the constant and varied rift events.
01:00pm 27/02/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6742 posts
One dongs thing about it is its too popular :(

Briafthing server has a queue of about 800 and Dayblind has about 250 at the moment.. wifey nicked out to the shops with the kid for a 1/2hr so I was looking forward to some gaming but now I'll just have to watch Jag.
01:16pm 27/02/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1182 posts
Yea it's interesting that they have fallen rather short on the number of servers V's number of pre-orders, they may be counting on the initial rush falling off after a while, which it will, but at the same time if people have massive ques then more are going to walk than expected. But if they have heaps of servers at launch and then end up with many low population servers and maybe even merge/close some servers, that always looks like a failure.
04:12pm 27/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2501 posts
I'm really... really loving this game but i'm getting horrid ping times. Ever since this headstart was released i'm getting 450 - 4500 MS randomly spiking. There are some people saying it's because of ISPs throttling the ports they are using at peak times. Which makes sense as i've been playing with a normal 300 all day long but come 8pm, BAM lag time. No tunnelers work with rift either so i'm s*** out of luck stuck with f*****g telstra. Why did I have to move from internode?
10:11pm 27/02/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1184 posts
Telstra doing it too? most people who reported it in beta, myself included were on Optus. It's a somewhat common issue and they have fixed it for some ISP's, working on others. I'm holding off on buying till the server loads fall a bit and the on peak lag is gone.

Also DM, try blocking TCP ports 6520-6540. This will force Rift to use port 80, some have had success with this method while others like myself did not.
10:16pm 27/02/11 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
319 posts
When I got home Friday I clicked Briarcliff as that's the server people said Aussie should go.. I had a f*****g heart attack.. 11hour queue, I s*** you not.

Then people said Dayblight, 1 hour queue, I got down to 15mins and started talking on vent, with my awesome push to talk buttons, I clicked cancel queue, back into an hour queue.

That aside the game is good, the roles and souls option give you lots of diversity to your character. The PVP is very Warhammer, but still fun. Gear feel irrelevant at this point (level 20) but I don't find myself reading stats too much (Compared to wow, where that's all you do).

Rifts are fun and decently varied, the invasions are full on with a Major invasion in progress, you pretty much have to stop everything and help or you end up with packs of high level elites roaming around destroying everyone.

I went Cleric and so far have enjoyed the healing, though it seems everyone's a Cleric, my other choice was Bard and they seem very powerful at the moment.

Hoping the queues settle so I can play more casual and not worry about playing in 90mins before I have time.

Overall, for a pre-launch its going ok, big queues seem a problem, but its a sign of how popular the game is.
10:01am 28/02/11 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
320 posts
oh yeah ..

but come 8pm, BAM lag time

I get this big time, on Optus cable, I go from 250-300ms to 16sec pings, horrid packet loss almost right on 7pm Melbourne time. No problems with websites, but my Downloads also go from 2mb to about 400k perfect flat line at this time.

Thought it was isolated to Melbourne Optus till I looked into it, Whirlpool have a lot of people complaining.

RIFT becomes unplayable at this time of night.
10:05am 28/02/11 Permalink
defi
Wynnum, Queensland
2618 posts
Myself (defi), Existence and Ikey are all on Dayblind. I am starting to wish I rolled a Low Pop server because of the queues. It will settle though. Got my epic pants, mount 60% and 3 blue items now and have noticed my survivability has gone up. Due to the extra 300hp+ and 300 armor I guess.

Did a PVP match - wasn't as good as wow PVP yet, I think they need to make it 10-14, 15-19 or similar to balance it out a little better. Also holding the flag is gay, there should be an object to run it to for bonus points.

First instance is pretty easy, Exi healed and I tanked (At lvl 15 lol). Tanking is harder then wow, more effort to hold multiple mobs (Same as Vanilla Wow). But I was trying to AOE tank instead of using the CC we had. We did polymorph a few mobs when s*** got out of control. The cool downs can be a little long and prevents chain pulling a little.

Questing isn't to repetitious yet, and you can break it up with rifts / invasions anyway so its very enjoyable so far.

If your an MMO fan, give it a go. Its worth the $50 so far for me.

Edit: I am on Optus Cable and haven't noticed the lag once yet. I played until 9pm last night as well.
11:53am 28/02/11 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8936 posts
Tanking is harder then wow, more effort to hold multiple mobs (Same as Vanilla Wow).

Nah it's pretty easy.
Paladin only really has 1 aoe agro tool, reaver has a few.
At level 15 it's really too early to say much, by 22 you will have a hugely different set of tools.

Regardless a couple of smacks in the head with my pallie reaver and the only reason a mob peels is if DPS is stupid.
01:33pm 28/02/11 Permalink
defi
Wynnum, Queensland
2619 posts
Yer I am pallie / Reaver / Whatever the last synergy is. Maybe I mean its harder than WOW Prot Pally tanking. lol @ 3 spells. It feels quite similar to Vanilla Warrior tanking, without sunders.

In my experience DPS is stupid 50% of the time so you have to account for that.
02:49pm 28/02/11 Permalink
sheep_pimp
Brisbane, Queensland
630 posts
I am on Optus cable and getting ping spikes from 300-2000ms. I played in two beta events and had no problems zzzzzz. I'll try blocking the ports mentioned and see how that goes.

Briarcliff might have big queues right now (although logging in now there seemed to be no queue), but at least when everyone inevitably quits in a months time there should still be a decent population on the server.
08:10pm 28/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2502 posts
Well my lag problems seem to have stopped and now getting 230 - 300 MS. I'm rocking a rogue, Riftstalker/Bladedancer spec built for damage and it's bloody awesome. 4 warping abilities, 2 AoE, 15% extra crit chance and 15% extra damage for 10 seconds after a warp, and get 30% of my hp back per kill I make with an extra 30% of that heal as bonus. if that makes any sense. With the exception of falling through the world due to a bug ATM i'm pretty smooth when it comes to leveling.

Really loving this game. I'm playing on Emberlord server.

last edited by DM at 21:00:34 28/Feb/11
08:54pm 28/02/11 Permalink
Keato
Melbourne, Victoria
322 posts
I get these rogue trying to gank me in Warfronts, they cant out DPS the Warden dot heals. I am assuming with gear it will gear harder to ignore these pesks, but at the moment, I have no problem as a Cleric.

And.. yesterday, I had no ping issues at all, maybe they fixed it, we can only hope so.

Still had a 1 hour queue on Dayblight.
10:08am 01/03/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18245 posts
Is Rift officially out yet?

I'm trying to log in thru Steam and it says not valid. I've even gone to the main Trion site and set my account up. Or will it be later on today that it becomes available?
09:26am 02/03/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6747 posts
Strange Rev.. I bought on Steam and was able to play immediately. When you launch the game it pops up with your CD key which I used on the Trion web site to register my account.
10:17am 02/03/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18246 posts
Weird. I can't find anywhere to put the cd key. I was going by the message at the start that the game would ask for my key when I load it but so far it hasn't.

And now I can't find the link to the Trion site for that option.

8-/
10:23am 02/03/11 Permalink
boba
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3589 posts
10:29am 02/03/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
18247 posts
Thanx boba

Dunno if it's just me but that site is impossible to find. Will be bookmarking that.
10:34am 02/03/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
905 posts
So what are everyones impressions of the game so far? Is it worthy of a subscription? Are there dungeons through levelling and raids at the end? I was interested in the PVP aspect, but might not as I'm not really a fan of MMO PVP. All thoughts welcome.
05:13pm 04/03/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:13pm 04/03/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.