Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Doom 3 Movie Planned
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
1822 posts
I stole this link from Voodoo Extreme. Pretty sneaky hey!

Yahoo has an update on the story with more information and a quote from id CEO Todd Hollenshead. The Hollywood Reporter has news that Warner Bros. is in final negotiations for the rights to a DOOM movie which must be made within fifteen months or the rights go back to id. Also, the plot line will follow Doom 3 and they're aiming for a PG-13 rating. Thanks ShackNews.

Once the deal is firmly in place, a writer will be put on board to pen the screenplay. Although the video game was controversial because of its violence when it was originally released, the feature film version will aim for a PG-13 rating. "Doom," a first-person shooter, launched in 1993, and a third installment is scheduled for release next year. The feature film's story line will most resemble the third "Doom," which is set in the future at a paramilitary base on Mars, where a scientific experiment goes awry and accidentally opens a portal to hell.

Finally it might get made but the PG rating disturbs the hell outta me. Should be M or MA if anything.

09:58am 26/09/02 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:58am 26/09/02 Permalink
WarT
Brisbane, Queensland
8690 posts
it'll either be s*** or they won't do it
10:00am 26/09/02 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
4731 posts
PG!

Doom, in kiddy mode?
10:02am 26/09/02 Permalink
Gavmo
Brisbane, Queensland
2962 posts
Theyll want to make some money out of it, so theyll probably have the main character running around the place capturing all the little monsters in little balls. Hence the PG rating
10:02am 26/09/02 Permalink
tref
Brisbane, Queensland
823 posts
Doom 3?? What's that? Sounds like some enigma along the lines of Duke Nukem For Never.

10:05am 26/09/02 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
3502 posts
They better get Bruce Campbell to play the doom marine, or its doomed to fail. (haha, doomed, geddit?)
10:38am 26/09/02 Permalink
Greyden
Brisbane, Queensland
4314 posts
sifnt arnie
10:40am 26/09/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
1827 posts
I reckon Hugh Grant would make a good Doom soldier. Him or Richard Gere would be perfect for the role.
10:41am 26/09/02 Permalink
Greyden
Brisbane, Queensland
4315 posts
or how bout we use danny glover i rekon hed make a pretty cool doom guy

ps. im jokeing.
10:42am 26/09/02 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
3503 posts
Are you all on crack? How can you think Doom marine and not think Bruce Campbell? Shame on you all.
10:49am 26/09/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
1829 posts
Of course Bruce would rock so very hard, but the ghey movie producers would be too ghey to pick him for the role. He's a very underrated actor. They need Sam Raimi to make it so Bruce can team up with him again.
10:54am 26/09/02 Permalink
Greyden
Brisbane, Queensland
4317 posts
more then likly there will be more then 1 doom person, i doubt they would make a movie with just one guy running around killing big monsters, as sweet as that would be i dont think the general gist of the public would like it specially if its only pg! so you will have a female doom guy a black doom guy a funny white doom guy and azn doom guy and a big tough bad ass doom guy... other possible characters.. brainy computer wizz doom guy/mechanic maybe. emotionaly unstable doom guy, kamakazi doom guy, christian doom guy and satanic goth doom guy, thats just a few, think of the endless stereotypes they could use

my pick would be to just grab the whole cast to predator and use them, sifnt billy killing a group of imps!
10:54am 26/09/02 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
4741 posts
You are all stupid.

Doom 3 movie == PeeWee Hermon as the Doom Marine, now that'd be a PG movie ;D
Greydon, Multiplayer Doom Movie :D

One dude will be Green, another Blue, another Red ... And they will be playing Co-oP with the occasional FF kill, but they will respawn in a puff of green teleporty stuff.

If only it wasnt PG we might have seen a Telefrag :D
10:55am 26/09/02 Permalink
Greyden
Brisbane, Queensland
4318 posts
http://www.anjalysholm.dk/scan1.jpg

get some of that lovin in ya

ooooo yeah

*link fixed
10:58am 26/09/02 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
4743 posts
Hail to the king baby!

PS. your link dosnt work
11:00am 26/09/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
1830 posts
a funny white doom guy

F*** I hope they don't write someone like that into the script. I hate nothing more than to watch a thriller or horror movie and have some lame-ass character cracking lame-ass jokes through out it. Really ruins the whole movie. And I don't want a female character in it who screams when ever she sees an alien or have stupid marines walking backwards in a dark area and back into a monster and then get killed.

And talking of dark areas, why do all spaceships of the future have s*** lighting? The Enterprise has good lighting through out the ship so why can't all others have it? I know it is for atmosphere, but it would suck working in conditions like that. Here's an idea: have full on lights everywhere and then have an explosion f*** them up so it goes darker. Is it that hard.

8-)
11:03am 26/09/02 Permalink
Shadow
Melbourne, Victoria
811 posts
Sounds good and all but that PG rating is a worry.
11:17am 26/09/02 Permalink
CodeBasher
Brisbane, Queensland
84 posts
"I reckon Hugh Grant would make a good Doom soldier"

ha ha ha .. a bumbling idiot that tries go get the baddies in the sack rather than kill them..

LoL
11:19am 26/09/02 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
918 posts
Finally it might get made but the PG rating disturbs the hell outta me. Should be M or MA if anything.

If you look at it a bit more, PG-13 = M15+ Here, MA15+ here = R18 Over there.
11:26am 26/09/02 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
4744 posts
Lets face it, to combat the monsters of Hell, you gunna an unstopable squad of the most bad ass monster kickers around.

We will need,

Riply, Hicks, Arnie, The Evil Dead guy, There also needs to be a uber brainy alien/monster killer and I cant think of any :/
11:40am 26/09/02 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
4088 posts
thrax that is the point, a Doom movie with a rating of < MA15+ holds little promise.
11:42am 26/09/02 Permalink
Tung
Brisbane, Queensland
1540 posts
PG13+ i believe holds the same in america as a m15 rating here, because the next jump is NC17 or something which is the equivalent of MA15+

i *think*
11:56am 26/09/02 Permalink
icewyrm
Brisbane, Queensland
723 posts
what about bruce willis :P
11:58am 26/09/02 Permalink
JinX
Sydney, New South Wales
532 posts
* N U K E D *

By trog
12:01pm 26/09/02 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
8704 posts
If you're going to make claims like that, feel free to back it up with some evidence.
12:03pm 26/09/02 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
1329 posts
Hugh Jackman is one mean looking guy when he is in 'tough' mode, he'd be good.

:)
03:30pm 26/09/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
1840 posts
F*** you're a legend Psycho. Yeah, Hugh Jackman kicks so much ass it's not funny. He would be a worthy candidate for that role. So far it's outta Bruce Campbell and Hugh Jackman.

Hmmm, only time will tell.

Oh, by the way. If you're looking for a good movie to watch tonight, go down to your local Video Ezy and rent out Paperback Hero. Damn, that's a good movie.
03:33pm 26/09/02 Permalink
SmegHead
Melbourne, Victoria
401 posts
Hmmm, they have tried a lot of times to make films out of video games, and I cant think of one that was any good.

*shudders at the thought of another Street Fighter*

GL to the writers, I hope they come up with something that is worthy of holding the name of such a game!!
03:39pm 26/09/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
1843 posts
I reckon Resident Evil was awesome. And Tomb Raider wasn't too bad.

And what about Commando 8-)
03:42pm 26/09/02 Permalink
SmegHead
Melbourne, Victoria
404 posts
Havent seen Tomb Raider, and I thought Resident Evil was crap :)

Although it did follow the game, but still wasnt good.
03:54pm 26/09/02 Permalink
JinX
Sydney, New South Wales
534 posts
Resident evil was good but tomb raider was shocking...
03:55pm 26/09/02 Permalink
eo*
Melbourne, Victoria
33 posts

well if it's goin to be PG only thats gonna suck, should be rated at least M to make it good
07:45pm 26/09/02 Permalink
Gunman-187
Brisbane, Queensland
211 posts
puff daddy would be the best, or eminem...

both talk about themselves and all they are are c*********s.
08:11pm 26/09/02 Permalink
DartanyuN
Adelaide, South Australia
1017 posts

I hate those rappers. They are the biggest wankers, honestly ...
08:19pm 26/09/02 Permalink
Scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
6273 posts
Doom should be R, nothing more, nothing less
08:32pm 26/09/02 Permalink
Dan
Brisbane, Queensland
4542 posts
yep, R rated and bruce campbell or vin diesel
08:59pm 26/09/02 Permalink
Engine no.9
Albury/Wodonga, Victoria
16 posts
pg-13 IS the equivalent of our m15+

doesn't anyone remember an addictive little mac game called 'Simcinema'?
09:18pm 26/09/02 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
6348 posts
I'd rather they get some unknown actor to play it. All of the current action stars are wisecracking gayheads. I'd prefer the doom movie to be a more serious affair.
10:00pm 26/09/02 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
8719 posts
MICHAEL F*****G BIEHN, MOTHERF*****S
10:09pm 26/09/02 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
6349 posts
I agree with trog.
10:10pm 26/09/02 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
175 posts

A Doom Movie would suck like all the other Game based movies! Does anyone remember how s*** Mario Bros, B00B Raider and RE was... ahem!
It works well as a game just leave it at that!
10:44pm 26/09/02 Permalink
Scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
6274 posts
oh yes, mario bros' I sure bet they could make a seriouse movie out that crazy cash bonanza
10:46pm 26/09/02 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
3505 posts
Resident Evil was a j0r movie, as was Mortal Kombat.
09:06am 27/09/02 Permalink
Aus_Rakeesh
Brisbane, Queensland
36 posts
At the end of the day Doom 3 is going to just be a 1st person shooter it may have a good story like half-life and it might be the new standard in game engine, but it's still going to be stuck within the 1st person genre, which in my opinion is a far overdone area..

But then again this might have a few suprises that really set it apart from the other people and make it a standout.

09:15am 27/09/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
1897 posts
Michael Biehn is getting too old. Have you seen what he looks like now? But he is still awesome.
09:18am 27/09/02 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
3506 posts
That FPS episode of X-Files was j0r.
09:29am 27/09/02 Permalink
|NEMSiZ|
Melbourne, Victoria
12 posts
Producers are said to be John Wells and Lorenzo di Bonaventura. Anyone know anything about them?
Id's Todd Hollenshead quotes 'Doom' is our baby, the crown jewel of our intellectual property franchises, and Warners' interest in it was more than just talk. It actually puts on paper that if they don't move at a satisfactory pace, we can take it somewhere else. We're just a little game developer here in Texas, not a big movie company, so we were more interested in a commitment to make a movie rather than talk about how excited someone was about it."
Sounds like Id's keen .....
12:39pm 27/09/02 Permalink
Morgish
Gold Coast, Queensland
3151 posts
what dont even know what the game is like, let alone a movie
12:44pm 27/09/02 Permalink
fl00d
1 posts
Doom 3 will suck - ID are caught in a Mire... The only good they do now is create great engines for other companies to make interesting games with. The movie will suck also - the projected PG rating says it all: bleh... They're going mass market with it, and you all know what that means; Tshirts, toys, and a piece of s*** Movie. I bet you any money! It's gonna be craaap...
04:20am 28/09/02 Permalink
Boffiend
Brisbane, Queensland
126 posts
IMO, you can;t make a good movie unless it is R rated (or at least MA).

Just my two cents
04:24am 28/09/02 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
4773 posts
The Princess Bride was an awsome movie. It was PG.
04:53am 28/09/02 Permalink
Aus_Rakeesh
Brisbane, Queensland
39 posts
bhahaha Tol :)

On engines Renderware (the engine used in GTA3 and AFL 2003) Is a company that soley makes engines, and they are doing extremely well the market for middleware engines increases dramatically so the long and expensive work of engine design is becoming less popular against licensing an engine with great tools and a flexible design.

08:48am 28/09/02 Permalink
teen
Brisbane, Queensland
6593 posts
I know this movie is going to suck, because it's not based on a story, or plot... but a concept. They are only writing the story if they get the movie contract. F*****g lame.
08:54am 28/09/02 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
4774 posts
I wonder what FPS the movie will be running at ;D
08:57am 28/09/02 Permalink
Hunter
Brisbane, Queensland
6912 posts
MICHAEL F*****G BIEHN, MOTHERF*****S
You realise the last place I saw him was in the Tiberian Sun cut-scenes? Yes, that's right...
11:19am 28/09/02 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
3511 posts
bhahaha Tol :)

I dont think he was joking, it was actually a pretty awesome movie. Its out on dvd now, as soon as I can justify spending $40 of my rather meager income, I'm gonna buy it.
11:41am 28/09/02 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
4780 posts
Inconceivable!
11:53am 28/09/02 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
1265 posts
i reckon getting sam raimi (to direct) would be a better idea than bruce campbell
sam raimi is an awesome director

i luv bruce's work, but he just doesnt feel like a doom guy

11:56am 28/09/02 Permalink
fl00d
2 posts
Yes Raimi is good - but it wont matter who directs... They're looking to milk the franchise for all it's worth. Because of that mindset ($) the movie is 'doomed' before they even start filming - to be sure, it will probably find moderate mainstream success, and this is why it will suck.
IMO, unless the movie is utterly terrifying ie) R - then it has failed to live up to the name. Sure, the princess Bride was okay, but it had a decent plot to build on. Doom has a moonbase filled with Hellspawn and one guy armed to the teeth. I can't wait to see what kinda bs story they try to build into it: Doom has NO story.
03:58pm 28/09/02 Permalink
Swiss_Cheeseman
Gold Coast, Queensland
759 posts
Why oh why arnt they basing it off the books?
03:59pm 28/09/02 Permalink
Rejour
Brisbane, Queensland
26 posts
DOOM 3 game is going to be cool you young little dwebs have no idea!
04:40pm 28/09/02 Permalink
Zekts
Brisbane, Queensland
834 posts
right... ok, it could be good but it also could be quite lame due to the PG rating.. We wont know till it arrives (if ever). So until then all opinions are void.
06:45pm 28/09/02 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:45pm 28/09/02 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.